- Volume 17 Issue 6
This study examines the effect of firms' working capital management on their performance for a sample of non-financial companies listed on the Korea Exchange (KRX). The working capital and corporate performance are measured as the ratio of the net working capital to sales and return on assets, respectively. The results are as follows. First, there is no significant relationship between the working capital and corporate performance in the total sample. Second, the working capital is positively related to the firms' performance in the negative working capital group while the working capital is negatively related to the corporate performance in the positive working capital group. These findings indicate the existence of an optimal working capital level for firms. Third, the firms' financial constraints have no effects on the relationship between the working capital and corporate performance. This suggests that there are no interactive effects among the working capital, financial constraints, and profitability of the firms. This study implicates that managers should consider the different roles and impacts when developing an efficient working capital management strategy.
Corporate performance;Firms' profitability;Panel analysis;Working capital;Working capital management
- S. M. Fazzari and B. C. Petersen, "Working Capital and Fixed Iinvestment: New Evidence on Financing Constraints", R&D Journal of Economics, Vol.24, pp. 328-9342, 1993.
- D. Corsten and T. Gruen, "Stock-outs Cause Walkouts", Harvard Business Review, Vol.82, pp. 26-28, 2004.
- M. S. Long, I. B. Malitz and S. A. Ravid, "Trade Credit, Quality Guarantees and Product Marketability", Financial Management, Vol.22, pp. 117-8127, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3665582
- M. Deloof and M. Jegers, "Trade Credit, Product Quality, and Intragroup Trade: Some European Evidence", Financial Management, Vol.25, pp. 33-43, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3665806 https://doi.org/10.2307/3665806
- B. Summers and N. Wilson, "Trade Credit Terms Offered by Small Firms: Survey Evidence and Empirical Analysis", Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Vol.29, pp. 317-335, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1468-5957.00434 https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-5957.00434
- R. Kieschnick, M. Laplante and R. Moussawi, " Working Capital Management and Shareholder Wealth", Working paper (SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1431165), 2011. (accessed Otc., 5, 2015)
- R. Ek and S. Guerin, "Is There a Right Level of Working Capital?", Journal of Corporate Treasury Management, Vol.4, pp. 137-5149, 2011.
- J. Jermias, "The Relative Influence of Competitive Intensity and Business Strategy on the Relationship between Financial Leverage and Performance", British Accounting Review, Vol.40, pp. 71-86, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2007.11.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2007.11.001
- Y. J. Shin and M. Y. Hong, "On the Relation between Capital Structure and Profitability of Touring Firms in Korea", Journal of Daehan Management, Vol.27, pp. 485-504, 2014.
- R. Banz, "The Relationship between Return and the Market Value for Common Stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.9, No.1, 1-19, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(81)90018-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(81)90017-9
- R. A. Connolly and M. Herschey, "Firm size and the effect of R&D on Tobin's q", R&D Management, Vol.35, No.2, 217-223, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00384.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00384.x
- A. S. Bharadwaj, S. G. Bharadwaj and B. R. Konsynski, "Information Technology Effects on Firm Performance as Measured by Tobin's q", Management Science, Vol.45, No.7, 1008-1024, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.45.7.1008 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.45.7.1008
- M. D. Hill, G. W. Kelly and M. J. Highfield, "Net Operating Working Capital Behavior: A First Look", Financial Management, Vol.39, pp. 783-805, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-053X.2010.01092.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-053X.2010.01092.x
- M. Faulkender and R. Wang, "Corporate Financial Policy and the Value of Cash", Journal of Finance, Vol.61, pp. 1957-1990, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2006.00894.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2006.00894.x
Supported by : 청운대학교