- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting the Drinking of Middle School Students from an Urban Area Populated with Low-Income Families
도시 저소득층 밀집지역 중학생의 음주 영향요인
- Received : 2015.12.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.02
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study investigated factors affecting drinking in middle school students from an urban area populated with low-income families to provide data necessary for drinking prevention. The subjects consisted of 1,192 middle school students. Analysis of collected data was carried out by descriptive statistics and stepwise multiple regression using SPSS 19.0 software. The proportion of students who had drinking experience was 44.1%, among which 57.2% first experienced drinking during elementary school or earlier. The highest motivation for student's drinking was encouragement by parents at 48.9% while 12.0% of parents were indifferent to drinking by their children and 21.5% permitted drinking. Scores for subjects' loneliness, father's parenting, and mother's parenting were 36.71, 40.07, and 50.87, respectively. Factors affecting drinking were identified as school life, parent's attitude to children's drinking, and father's parenting. These results suggest that it is necessary to develop drinking prevention programs for middle school students in urban areas with high populations of low-income families as well as follow-up studies over wider urban areas of low-income population.
Drinking;Loneliness;Low-income;Middle School Student;Parenting
- Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Statistics for the 10th investigation on adolescence health behavior, 2014.
- S. Bava & S. F. Tapert, Adolescent Brain Development and the Risk for Alcohol, Neuropsychology Review, Vol.20, pp.398-413, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11065-010-9146-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11065-010-9146-6
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Underage drinking, 2015. From: http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/fact-sheets, (accessed Nov 14, 2015)
- J. C. Cho & S. S. Chun, A study of drinking prevalence and drinking levels, related social and psychological factors among Korean middle school students, Journal of Korean Alcohol Sciences, Vol.9, No.2, pp.41-55, 2008.
- J. D. Jang, S. Y. Han & M. S. Lee, Impact on the health behaviors of children by high risk alcohol drink behavior of parent, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.8, pp.3858-3865, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org//10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3858 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3858
- R. R. An, W. Y. Park & I. Y. Shin, The effect of father's self-esteem and child rering attitude on children's self-esteem and emotional intelligence, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.6, pp.2645-1652, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org//10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2645 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2645
- H. K., Park, & S. Y. Park, Father's parenting behavior, son's emotional regulations related son's aggression. Journal of Korean Home Economy Association, Vol.40, No.8, 87-98, 2002.
- J. A. Patock-Peckham & A. A. Morgan-Lopez, College drinking behaviors: Mediational links between Parenting Styles, parental bonds, depression, and alcohol Problems, Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, Vol.21, No.3, 297-06, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0893-164X.21.3.297 https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-164X.21.3.297
- A. Stickley, A. Koyanagi, R. Koposov, M. Schwab-Stone & V. Ruchkin, Loneliness and U.S. adolescents: a cross-sectional study, BMC Public Health, Vol.14, No.366, 1-12, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org//10.1186/1471-2458-14-366 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-1
- Statistics Korea, Statistics for adolescence, Seoul, Korea. 2014.
- M. K. Park & K. H. Chung, Social Support, Loneliness, Alcohol Use and Perceived Health Status in College Students, The Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.8, No.1, pp.72-83, 2002.
- S. L. Canham, P. M. Mauro, C. N. Kaufmann, & a. Sixsmith, Association of Alcohol Use and Loneliness Frequency Among Middle-Aged and Older Adult Drinkers, Journal of Aging and Health, pp.1-18, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0898264315589579
- Y. J. Lee, H. K. Kim, M. Y. Lee, J. H. Yoo, S. J. Park & K. D. Yeu, Alcohol status and related factors of drinking problems among residents at permanent rental apartments, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.2 pp.1227-1239, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org//10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1227 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1227
- Korea institute for Health and Social Affairs, Comprehensive survey on children, 2013.
- G. S. Kong, The impact of maternal problem drinking on children's developmental outcome: Focus on parenting as mediators, Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, No.13, Summer, pp.1-27, 1999.
- D. Russell, L. A. Peplau, & M. L. Ferguson, Developing a measurement of loneliness, Journal of Personalily Assessment, Vol.42, No.3, pp.290-294, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4203_11
- S. Y. Park, The relations between family functioning and personality characteristics and loneliness in adolescents, Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Woman's university, Seoul, 1998.
- M. Y. Huh, A Study for the Development and Validation of an Inventory for Parenting Behavior Perceived by Adolescents, The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol.12, No.2, pp.170-189, 2004.
- G. R. Patterson & M. Stouthamer-Loeber. The correlation of family management practices and delinquency, Child Development, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp.1299-1307, 1984. https://doi.org/10.2307/1129999
- S. Saxena, R. Sharma & P. K. Maulik, Impact of alcohol use on poor families: a study from North India, Journal of Substance Use, Vol.8, No.2, pp.78-84, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/1465989031000109798
- The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Underage drinking, Alcohol Alert, No.67, pp.1-7, 2006. From: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AA67/AA67.htm(accessed Nov 14, 2015).
- B. H. Lee & A. L. Sohn, The effects of alcohol control policy on alcohol-related knowledge, attitudes and behavior among middle school students, Journal of Korean Alcohol Sciences, Vol.9, No.2, pp.103-111, 2008.
- Y. M. Kim & J. A. Neff, Direct and indirect effects of parental influence upon adolescent alcohol use: A Structural equation modeling analysis, Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse, No.19, pp.244-260, 2010.
- R. Roberts, M. Beckwith, & D. Watts,. Mother's intentions to introduce their adolescent o alcohol use: Does mother's alcohol use effect intentions, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, Vol.24, No.34, pp.281-287, 2009.
- N. Kim & M. Kwon, Comparison of middle school students' knowledge and attitude toward alcohol use according to the level of parent's alcohol consumption, Journal of Korean Society Maternal and Child Health Vol.15, No.2, pp.206-215, 2011. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2011.15.2.206
- C. A. Chun, Children' life at school: Focusing on school satisfaction, delinquent behaviors, and school violence, Health and Welfare Policy Forum, No.220, pp.27-36, 2015.
- Y. K. Sung, B. B. Baek, K. H. Yoon, A research on students' school-life satisfaction and effects of intensive support in education welfare investment priority zone project, The Journal of Korean Education, Vol.35, No.3, pp.23-46. 2008.
- Y. S. Jeon, S. H. Roh, Crime Victim and Protection of Children in Low Income Family, Korean Institute of Criminology, 2011.
- J. M. Kim & A. J. Yoo, Depression and loneliness of adolescents from intact and divorced families: The mediating effects of parental and peer attachment, The Korean journal of the Human Development, Vol.12, No.4, pp.159-176, 2005.
- Y. M. Lee, Relationship Self-control, Stress, Loneliness among University Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 12 pp.5541-5549, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5541 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5541
- K. H. Suh & S. A. Yang, Relations of the knowledge of alcohol effects and attitudes toward alcohol use to factors of the drink behavior among middle school students, Journal of Korean Alcohol Sciences, Vol.11, No.1, pp.15-26, 2010.
Supported by : 광주여자대학교