- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Longitudinal Trends(2004-2014) of the Use and Non-use of Information Technology among Older Adults
노인의 정보기술 이용과 비이용의 실태 및 태도: 2004-2014 종단적 추이
- Kim, Myoung-Yong (Human Life Research Center, Yonsei University) ;
- Jun, Hey Jung (Department of Child and Family Studies, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2016.03.14
- Accepted : 2016.06.02
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study examines the longitudinal trends regarding awareness of informatization, Information Technology (IT) use, and attitudes towards IT among older adults aged 60 or over. Surveys were conducted in 2004 and 2014 at senior welfare centers in Seoul, Korea. The trends between 2004 and 2014 showed that the rate of Internet use increased among older adults who lived alone, were aged 70 or over, had middle education level, had low income, or were unemployed. Older adults had positive attitudes towards IT, and users were more positive than non-users. The levels of IT use were low among users, and their reasons for IT use were for psychological, emotional, and practical purposes. For non-users of IT, their passive tendencies toward IT use and informatization were amplified. As such, the state of IT use and attitudes toward it among older adults in Seoul were longitudinally different, and the differences in awareness and ability between users and non-users tended to increase.
- H. J. Jun, M. Y. Kim, "The Influence of Internet Use on Satisfaction with Social Relationships and Depression among Older Adults Living Alone in Seoul", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, Vol.43, pp.73-98, 2015.
- M. Y. Kim, "What are the Reasons for and Attitudes to IT use and Non-use of IT among Urban Older Adults?", Journal of Welfare for the Aged. Vol.32, pp.23-50, 2015.
- P. Millward, "The Grey Digital Divide: Perception, Exclusion and Barriers of Access to the Internet for Older People", Available from: http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue8_7/millward, 2003.
- Statistics Korea, "The Future Estimated Population 2006", 2007. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr. (accessed Aug, 17, 2014).
- OECD(Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development), 2010 Fact Book. Available from: http://www.oecd.org. (accessed Dec, 20, 2014).
- Statistics Korea, "The Future Estimated Population 2010-2060", 2011. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr. (accessed Aug, 17, 2014).
- Seoul Metropolitan Government, 2014 Workbook for Division of Senior Welfare, Unpublished workbook, 2014.
- OECD(Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development), OECD Report of Korean Urban Policies. 2012. Available from: http://www.mltm.go.kr. (accessed Dec, 20, 2014).
- Seoul Metropolitan Government, "2011 Statistics of the Elderly in Seoul", e-Seoul Statistics(No.51). Sept, 2011. Available from: http://stat.seoul.go.kr. (accessed Aug, 17, 2014).
- NIA(National Information Society Agency), 2007 National Informatization White Paper (Republic of Korea), Yongin: NIA, 2007.
- KISA(Korea Internet & Security Agency), 2010 Survey on the Internet Usage, 2010. Available from: http://www.kisa.or.kr. (accessed Aug, 14, 2014).
- H. J. Jun, M. Y. Kim, "The Longitudinal Effects of Internet Use on Depression in Old Age", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, Vol.42, pp.187-211, 2014.
- N. Shapira, A. Barak, I. Gal, "Promoting Older Adults' Well-being through Internet Training and Use", Aging and Mental Health, Vol.11, No.5, 477-484, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13607860601086546 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860601086546
- S. R. Cotten, G. Ford, S. Ford, T. M. Hale, "Internet Use and Depression among Older Adults", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.28, pp.496-499, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.10.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.10.021
- S. R. Cotten, G. Ford, S. Ford. T. M. Hale, "Internet Use and Depression among Retired Older Adults: A Longitudinal Analysis", Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, Vol.28, No.2, pp.496-499, 2014.
- J. D. Kwon, Y. Kim, T. Y. Um, "A Qualitative Study on Experiences of Internet Use in Their Daily Lives and Its Meaning among Older Adults", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol.32, No.32, pp.835-850, 2012.
- M. Bernard, J. Phillips, "The Challenge of Ageing in Tomorrow's Britain", Ageing and Society, Vol.20, pp.33-54, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X99007576 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X99007576
- M. Y. Kim, H. J. Jun, "The Relationships among IT use, Satisfaction with IT use and Life Satisfaction of Korean Older Adults", Journal of Asian Regional Association of Home Economics, Vol.21, No.4, pp.1-12, 2014.
- J. S. Koo, "A Study on Online Community Activities of Older People: Focusing on the Differences between Men and Women", Korean Society of Cybercommunications, Vol.16, pp.241-272, 2005.
- D. B. Kim, S. B. Kim, S. J. Kim, "The Research of Ability to Use Internet, Interpersonal Skill, and Social Activity among the 50's and 60's in Seoul: Latent Mean Analysis", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol.31, No.3, pp.733-749, 2011.
- Jae. H. Kim, Ji. H. Kim, S. H. Shin, "Research of Internet Use among Older Adults", Social Science Studies, Vol.14, pp.67-91, 2002.
- Y. K. Son, "The Roles of Information Technology for the Aged Welfare", Journal of Welfare for the Aged. Vol.8, pp.7-29, 2000.
- M. S. Hong, "A Study of Internet Usage of Elderly in Korea", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 23(2): 187-203, 2003.
- MSIP(Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning), "2014 Survey on the Digital Divide" Press Release, 2015. Available from: http://www.msip.go.kr. (accessed Mar, 12, 2015).
- NIA(National Information Society Agency), 2014 Survey on the Digital Divide, Available from: http://www.nia.or.kr, (accessed Mar, 12, 2015).
- KISA(Korea Internet & Security Agency), "2014 Statistics of Individual Internet Usage", 2015. Available from: http://isis.kisa.or.kr. (accessed, Jun, 9, 2015).
- M. Y. Kim, Information Technology and Welfare: The Digital Divide and Welfare of Older People in Korea, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 2005.
- MIC(Ministry of Information and Communication) and KRNIC(Korea Network Information Center). "Survey on Computer and Internet Usage", 2004. Available from http://www.nida.or.kr. (accessed October 8, 2004).
- Pew Research Center, "Pew Internet and American Life Project: Internet Users Demographics", http://www.pewinternet.org/data-trend/internet-use/latest-stats, 2014.
- K. H. Jeong, J. H. Yun, J. S. Kim, "The Effects of Intermet Utilization on the Life Satisfaction of the Elderly: The Mediating Effect of Social Activity", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol.44, No.2, pp.357-382, 2013.
- NIA(National Information Society Agency), 2013 Survey on the Digital Divide among Older Generation(50+), 2014. Available from: http://www.nia.or.kr, (accessed Feb, 26, 2015).
- W. E. Loges, J. Y. Jung, "Exploring the Digital Divide: Internet Connectedness and Age", Communication Research, Vol.28, No.4, pp.536-562, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/009365001028004007 https://doi.org/10.1177/009365001028004007
- N. Selwyn, "The Information Aged: A Qualitative Study of Older Adults' Use of Information and Communications Technology", Journal of Aging Studies, Vol.18, pp.369-384, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaging.2004.06.008
- N. Selwyn, S. Gorard, J. Furlong, "The Information Aged: Older Adults' Use of ICT in Everyday Life", Working paper series 36. School of Social Science, Cardiff University. Available from: http://www.cf.ac.uk/socsi/publications/workingpapers/pdf-files/wrkgpaper36.pdf, 2003.
- P. S. Kim, H. S. Kim, M. S. Lee, "An Analysis on the Internet Use of the Korean Older Adults focused on their Socioeconomic Characteristics", Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol.19, No.8, pp.197-205, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2014.19.9.197
- H. K. Kim, E. J. Kim, "A Study on the Digital Literacy of Senior Citizens". Social Welfare Policy, Vol.36, No.2, pp.289-305. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15855/swp.2009.36.2.289 https://doi.org/10.15855/swp.2009.36.2.289
- What Accounts for the Relationship Between Internet Use and Suicidal Ideation of Korean Older Adults? A Mediation Analysis pp.1758-5368, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbw163