- Volume 17 Issue 6
This study analyzed the use of the phenomenological method proposed by Colaizzi (1978) in order to understand the meaning of block system class experiences in nursing students. Furthermore, this study provides primal data to improve curriculum efficiency. The data were collected from 18 participants who were students at a nursing university in the city of G from 20th of June to 10th of July 2015. This study investigated nursing student's block system class experience. The study results show six theme clusters consisting of 'Discomfort', 'Unsystematic study', 'Holding back an urge', 'Ever intensifying relationship', 'New discovery', and 'Chance for development', 17 themes, and 42 sub themes, which are included in those clusters in 58 configured meanings. This demonstrates that nursing students could reestablish their resolve for personal betterment and realize the importance of managing time by finishing the procedure with their best efforts although they suffer from physical and psychological inconvenience due to massive amounts of learning and assignment. These results indicate the need for development of stress management and an emotional support program based on the experience of nursing students.
- J. Liaschenko, E. Peter, "Nursing ethics and conceptualizations of nursing: Profession, practice and work", Journal of Advance Nursing, Vol.46, No.5, pp. 488-495, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03011.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03011.x
- I. S. Kwon. "An Analysis on Clinical Education of Pediatric Nursing", Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, Vol.8, No.3, pp.344-356. 2004.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing. "A report on evaluation of nursing schools, 2006", Seoul, Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing, 2008.
- M. H. Jeong, M. A. Shin. "The relationship between self-esteem and satisfaction in major of nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.12, No.2, pp.170-177. 2006.
- F. Timmins, M. Kaliszer. "Aspects of nurse education programmes that frequently cause stress to nursing students: Fact-finding sample survey", Nurses Education Today, Vol.22, pp.203-211, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2001.0698 https://doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2001.0698
- Y. J. Son, E. Y. Choi, Y. A. Song, "The relationship between stress and depression in nursing college students", Journal of Korean Society of Stress Medicine, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 345-352, 2010.
- O. B. Jung, H. J. Park. "Experience on delivery room practice of male nursing students" Korean Journal of Womens Health Nursing, Vol.17, No.1, pp.64-76, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.1.64
- H. S. Shin, K. K. Shim. "Nursing student's experiences on pediatric nursing simulation practice", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol.16, No.2, pp.147-155, 2010.
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang. "Nursing students' experience in community health center practice", Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, Vol.21, No.2, pp.189-199, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.2.188 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.2.188
- J. H. Yang. "The experience of fundamental nursing practice among nursing students", Journal of Qualitative Research. Vol.6, No.2, pp.51-64, 2005.
- M. Y. Park, S. Y. Kim. "A qualitative study of nursing students first clinical experience", Journal of Korean Academy Sociality of Nursing Education, Vol.6, No.1, pp.23-35, 2000.
- S. Y. Min. "Adjustment experiences of students in nursing education", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. Vol.15, No.4, pp.409-419, 2006.
- R. A. Day. P. A. Field. I. E, Campbell., L. Reutter. "Student' evolving beliefs about nursing: from entry to graduation in a four-year baccalaureate programme", Nurse Education Today, Vol.25, pp.636-643, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.09.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.09.003
- L. Magussen, M. Amundson. "Undergraduate nursing student experience.", Nursing Health Science, Vol.5, pp.261-267, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2003.00158.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2003.00158.x
- D. L. Morgan, "Focus group as qualitative research(2nded)", Thousand Oaks, CA: sage, 1997.
- Y. S. Lincoln, E. G. Guba, "Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills", CA: Sage, 1985.
- I. J. Deary, R. Watson, R. H. Hogston, "A longitudinal cohort study of burnout and attrition in nursing students", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.43, No.1, pp.71-81, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02674.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02674.x
- A. Huges, L. P. Romick, M. K. Sandor, C. Phillips, J. Glaister, K. Levy, J. Rock. "Evaluation of informal peer group experience on baccalaureate nursing student' emotional well-being and professional socialization", Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol.19, No.1, pp.38-48, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2003.9 https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2003.9
- K. S. Han, E. S. Park, J. A. Song, K. M. Kim, J. H. Jin, H. C. Kang, "Interpersonal attachment style, emotional regulation, and symptoms of stress, among university students", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol.16, No.2, pp.198-204, 2007.
- F. Astin, J. Newton, L. McKenna, L. Moore-Coulson. "Registered nurses' expectations and experiences of first year students' clinical skills and knowledge", Journal of Contemporary Nurse, Vol.8, No.30, pp.279-291, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5172/conu.18.3.279 https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.18.3.279
- H. Peyrovi, M. Yadavar- Nikravesh, S. F. Oskouie, C. Bertro. "Iranian student nurses' experiences of clinical placement" Journal of International Nursing Review, Vol.52, No.2, pp.134-141, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2005.00417.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2005.00417.x
- S. Lemola, T. Ledermann, E. M. Friedman, "Variability of sleep duration is related to subjective sleep quality and subjective well-being: An actigraphy study." PLoS ONE, Vol.8, No.8, e71292. 2013 Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0071292 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0071292
- G. Cucio, M. Ferrara, L. D. Gemmaro. "Sleep loss, learning capacity and academic performance", Sleep Medicine Reviews, Vol.10, pp.323-337, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2005.11.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2005.11.001
- U. M. Edel-Gustafasson, E. I. Kritz, I. K. Bogren, "Self-reported sleep quality strain and health in relation to perceived working conditions in females", Scandinavian Journal of Caring Science, Vol.16, pp.179-187, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1471-6712.2002.00078.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1471-6712.2002.00078.x
- M. S. Park, K. A. Park, "The differences of dietary and health-related habits, depression, eating disorder and nutrient intake according to the life stress in nursing college students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.1, pp.344-355, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.344 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.344
- M. H. Nam, M. R. Lee. "Factors influencing subjective happiness index of health behavior, self esteem and major satisfaction by nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.10, pp.363-374, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.363
- S. T. Moon, M. H. Bak. "Exploring the structural modeling among university student's social supports, career decision self- efficacy, and self-perceived employ ability", Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development, Vol.45, No.4, pp.79-104, 2013. https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2013.45.4.79
- S. M. Kwon. "Positive psychology", Hakjisa, Seoul. 2008.
- I. S. Kown, Y. M. Seo, "Nursing students' needs for clinical nursing education", Journal of Korean Academy Sociality of Nursing Education, Vol.18, No.1. pp.25-33, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.025 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.025
- J. Y. Han, M. Y. Lee, B. R. Jung, "A study on design education method for development of self-directed earning ability", Journal of Korean Society for Engineering Education, Education, Vol.12, No.4, pp.115-125, 2009.