- Volume 17 Issue 6
This study examined the meaning of instructional materials by observing the daily work of an infant class in a daycare center to make some suggestions on the accreditation and evaluation of instructional materials for early childhood education and educare. Ethnography was chosen to determine in detail what the instructional materials meant for the selected preschoolers. The activities that belonged to each area of free optional activities and made use of instructional materials were observed, and the eating time, nap time, and outdoor play were all observed. The data were gathered by visiting the selected daycare center. A participant observation and teacher interviews were conducted, and notes were taken on the spot. When their verbal expressions and nonverbal expressions needed to be observed owing to their unique characteristics, a camcorder was used to record their words to have a more profound understanding of them. All the collected data that included this researcher's observation note, the teacher interview data, the standard childcare curriculum manual, the daycare center's yearly, and the daily childcare plans and curriculum evaluation data were classified and categorized by performing an inductive analysis. As a result, the instructional materials had three meanings for the infants. The first was "friends who welcomed them and whom they could play with.' The second was "a cozy nest," and the third was "another teacher." Given the findings of the study, the preparation of standards for instructional materials for infants in childcare facilities is required, and even equipment that is used as instructional materials should be taken into consideration when instructional materials for infants are accredited.
Daily work;Infant;Instructional materials;Ethnography;System for instructional materials
- Y.H Jang , Study on Enhancing The Quality of After-School Care Programs for Children, Graduate School of Public Administration Dankook University, MS Theis, 2000.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare, Childcare program for age 1, Korea Institute of Childcare and Education, 2010.
- Piaget, J. Play, dreams and imitation in childhood. New York: W. W. Norton. 1962.
- K.C Kim, & S.H. Jung., "View of Industries on the Development of Accreditation System for Instructional Materials and Equipment," Proceedings of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Fall Conference, pp. 977-981, 2013.
- Y.S. Kang, & J.H. Park. A Study on the Perceived Quality and Application of Authentication Evaluation System of Teaching Materials and Implements for Children and the trend in Early Childhood. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. PP. 5601-5609 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5601
- Y.C Choi, The Prospects and Tasks of Accreditation System for Instructional Materials and Equipment in Early Childhood Education. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. PP. 5924-5930, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.5924
- Y.M. Sim, Analysis on Educational Materials of Toddler Classes in Child Care Center. The Graduation School of Gong Ju University, MS Thesis, 2012.
- Messiam.S.B.(1994).trans.Mihwa Hur. Qualitative case study method. Seoul: Yangseowon.(The original book was published in 1998).
- S.K Jeon, Study on the actual condition of outdoor play conducted at the infant classroom in Daycare Centers and teacher's Awareness of that, Department of Early childhood Education The Graduation School of Ewha Women University, MS Thesis, 2008.
- Y.J. Hur, Exploring The Educationl Meanings of Outdoor Play Experience on Toddlers. Department of Early childhood Education The Graduation School of Chung-Ang University, 2009.
- S.H. Gu, A Study on the Adatation Process of Toddlers to Child-Care Center. The Graduation School of Chung Ang University, Doctorate Thesis, 2004.
- M.S. Jo, The difficulties that teachers of one year-old toddler class experience .Department of Early childhood Education The Graduation School of Sung Shin Women University, MS Thesis , 2016.
- H,K. Lee. Toddler's Play Behaviors According to Indoor and Outdoor Environments Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education. Vol. 12, No. 1 PP. 97-121, 2007.
- C.S. Park, A Study on the Current Status and Teachers A wareness of Outdoor Play at Home Childcare Facilities. The Graduation School of Socoal Development Chung Ang University, MS Thesis, 2011.