- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Color Reproduction and Flatness of the LED Light Source in Broadcasting Lighting
방송조명에서 LED광원의 색 재현성과 평탄도 연구
- Received : 2016.01.18
- Accepted : 2016.05.06
- Published : 2016.07.30
At the on-site of broadcasting production, the light source of tungsten halogen has been used as a primary light source for representing video images. Although tungsten halogen light has drawn attention in terms of the color reproducibility which is more similar to the sun light than that of other light sources, meanwhile it had problems in energy efficiency. Recently, the LED light source with high efficiency and long lifetime of the energy source has started getting attention as a substitute light source at the broadcast field. Because of the unique light emission principles, compared with tungsten halogen, LED light source has different characteristics in the quality of the light projected from the light source and color reproduction of the video image through a camera. These characteristics cause the delayed introduction of the LED as the broadcast light source. In this study we measured the quality characteristics of the flatness of the color reproduction and light of the LED light source and will present the experimental data whether it is suitable as the broadcasting light source compared to a reference light source of tungsten halogen. In addition, we suggested the future challenges and standards which are needed to expand usage of LED as a broadcast light source.
LED Light Source;Light Source of Tungsten Halogen;Color reproducibility;Light Flatness
- H. J. Chang, Y. J. Kim, “Correlation Analysis of LED Characteristicsand Color reproduction as Broadcasting Lighting”, Broadcasting and Media Magazine, vol.20, no.4, pp44-45, October 2013.
- J. H. Chang, B. C, Park and A. S. Choi “Performance Evaluation of LEDs for the Substitution of Fluorescent Lighting Source”, JIEIE, November 2007.
- J. S. Lee, W. D. Kim, B. S. Kim, W. T. Han, “Study on Analysis of Characteristics of Illuminance and Luminance Distribution of LED Luminaires”, JIEIE, vol.22, no.9, September 2008.
- K. S. Lee, N. M. Moon, “Analysis of Characteristics of White LED Light Source for TV Lighting”, JBE, vol.15, no.4, July 2010.
- J. M. Lee, “Study on the effects of the introduction of LED as a light source on broadcasting production system”, Broadcasting & Visual Communication The Graduate School of Journalism & Mass Communication Yonsei University, February 2011.
- John Jackman, "Lighting for Digital Video & Television", CMC Media LLC, San Francisco, USA, pp 28-29, 2004
- Ross Lowell, "Matters of Light and Depth", Lowell-Light Manufacturing, New York, USA, pp184-185, 1992
- Y. J. Kim, "Aesthetic Principles and Methods of Lighting", SEONG AN DANG Publishing CO. Mapo, Seoul, pp 121-122, May 2014.
- Y. G. Kim, "Lighting Production", Communication Books, Inc. Mapo, Seoul, pp 84-87, June 2012