- Volume 31 Issue 4
Objective : The purpose of this study was to investigate anti-aging and antioxidant effects of extracts of Nelumbo nucifera leaves (NN-L) using ethanol on skin .Methods : Each part of leaves(NN-L), flowers(NN-F) and stem(NN-S) was extracted with 70% ethanol. We performed radical scavenging assay(DPPH, ABTS+, Superoxide anion radical), elastase inhibition assay, collagenase inhibition assay. NN-L extracts were tested for cell viability(MTT assay), MMP-1 inhibition and MMP-1 protein expression on CCD-986sk cells (human fibroblast line).Results : Recently, many studies have reported that elastin is also involved in inhibiting or repairing wrinkle formation, although collagen is a major factor in the skin wrinkle formation. We measured its free radical scavenging activity, elastase inhibitory activity and expression of MMP-1 (matrix metalloprotease-1) in human fibroblast cells. Among the parts of Nelumbo nucifera, NN-L showed the highest antioxidant activities and in radical scavenging. DPPH, ABTS+ and Superoxide anion radical scavenging activity of NN-L at concentration of 1,000 μg/mL were 91.43%, 99.31% and 73.7% respectively. In vitro elastase and collagenase inhibition effects of NN-L at concentration of 1,000 μg/mL was 42.8% and 55.3% respectively. The ethanol extract of NN-L showed cell viability of 95.4% in 50 μg/mL concentration. In addition, The results from Western blot assay showed that NN-L decreased the expression of MMP-1 protein in a dose-dependent manner (by up to 35.0% at 50 μM).Conclusion : The findings suggest that the NN-L great potential as a cosmeceutical ingredient with antioxidant and anti-wrinkling effects.
Nelumbo nucifera leaves(NN-L);DPPH;ABTS+;Elastase;Collagenase;MMP-1;Anti-wrinkling
- Song ZY. External use prescription for dermatolosis. Beijing:Renminweisheng. 2000 : 5-6.
- Emerit I. Free radicals and aging of the skin. EXS. 1992 ; 62 : 328-41.
- Chung JH. Photoaging in Asians. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2003 ; 19(3) : 109-21 https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0781.2003.00027.x
- Lee KK, Kim JH, Cho JJ, Choi JD. Inhibitory Effects of 150 Plant Extracts on Elastase Activity, and Their Anti‐inflammatory Effects. Inter. J. Cosm. Sci. 1999 ; 21 : 71-82. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-2494.1999.181638.x
- Brenneisen P, Sies H, and Scharffetter-Kochanek K. Ultraviolet-B irradiation and matrix metalloproteinases : from induction via signaling to initial events. Ann. N.Y. Acad. 2002 ; 973 : 31–43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2002.tb04602.x
- Puizina-Ivic N. Skin aging. Acta Dermatoven APA. 2008 ; 17(2) : 47-54
- Seo JE, Kim S. Shin M H. Kim MS. Eun HC. Park CH. and Chung JH. Ultraviolet irradiation induces thrombospondin-1 which attenuates type I procollagen downregulation in human dermal fibroblasts. J. Dermatol. Sci. 2010 ; 59(1) : 16-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2010.04.010
- Maeda K and Fukada M. In vitro effectiveness of several whitening cosmetic components in human melanocytes. J. Soc. Cosmet. Chem. 1991 ; 42(6) : 361–368.
- Kim CM, et al. Chinese materia medica dictionary. Seoul : Jeongdam. 1997 : 4623-5.
- Kashiwada Y, Aoshima A, Ikeshiro Y, Hen YP, Furukawa H, Itoigawa M, Fujioka T, Mihashi K, Cosentino M, Natschke SM, Lee KS. Anti-HIV benzylisoquinoline alkaloids and flavonoids from the leaves of Nelumbo nucifera, and structure-activity correlations with related alkaloids. Bioorg Med Chem. 2005 ; 13(2) : 443-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2004.10.020
- Agnihotri V, Elsohly H, Khan S, Jacob M, Joshi V, Smillie T, Khan I, Walker L. Constituents of Nelumbo nucifera leaves and their antimalarial and antifungal activity. Phytochemistry Lett. 2008 ; 1(2) : 89-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytol.2008.03.003
- Kim KH, Chang SW, Ryu SY, Choi Su, Lee KR. Phytochemical Constituents of Nelumbo nucifera. Natural Product Sciences. 2009；15(2)：90-5.
- Ohkoshi E, Miyazaki H, Shindo K, Watanabe H, Yoshida A, Yajima H. Constituents from the leaves of Nelumbo nucifera stimulate lipolysis in the white adipose tissue of mice. Planta Med. 2007；73(12)：1255-1259. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-990223
- Lin HY, Kuo YH, Lin YL, Chiang W. Antioxidative Effect and Active Components from Leaves of Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera). J. Agric. Food Chem. 2009 ; 57(15) : 6623-9. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf900950z
- Hyun SK, Jung YJ, Chung HY, Jung HA, Choi JS. Isorhamnetin glycosides with free radical and ONOO− scavenging activities from the stamens of Nelumbo nucifera . Arch Pharm Res. 2006 ; 29(4) : 287-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02968572
- Jung HA, Jung YJ, Yoon NY, Jeong da M, Bae HJ, Kim DW, Na DH, Choi JS. Inhibitory effects of Nelumbo nucifera leaves on rat lens aldose reductase, advanced glycation endproducts formation, and oxidative stress. Food Chem Toxicol. 2008 ; 46(12) : 3818-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2008.10.004
- Ohkoshi E, Miyazaki H, Shindo K, Watanabe H, Yoshida A, Yajima H. Constituents from the leaves of Nelumbo nucifera stimulate lipolysis in the white adipose tissue of mice. Planta Med. 2007 ; 73(12) : 1255-9. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-990223
- Zhang Q, Zhang J, Shen J, Silva A, Dennis DA, Barrow, Colin J. A Simple 96-Well Microplate Method for Estimation of Total Polyphenol Content in Seaweeds. 2006 ; 18 : 445-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-006-9048-4
- Blois MS. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature. 1958 ; 4617 : 1199-2000. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Fellegrini N, Re R, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. Screening of dietary carotenoids and carotenoid-rich fruit extracts for antioxidant activities applying 2,2-azinobis (3-ethylenebenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) radical cation decolorization assay. Methods in Enzymology. 1999 ; 299 ; 379-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99037-7
- Stirpe F and Della Corte E. The regulation of rat liver xanthine oxidase. Conversion in vitro of the enzyme activity from dehydrogenase (type D) to oxidase (type O). J Biol Chem. 1969 ; 244(14) : 3855-3863.
- Carmichael J, DeGraff WG, Gazdar AF, JMinna JD and Mitchell JB. Evaluation of a Tetrazolium-based Semiautomated Colorimetric Assay: Assessment of Chemosensitivity Testing. Cancer Res. 1987 ; 47(4) : 936 -942.
- Cannell RJ, Kellam SJ, Owsianka AM, Walker JM. Results of a large scale screen of microalgae for the production of protease inhibitors. Planta Media. 1988 ; 54(1) : 10-14. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-962319
- Wűnsch E and Heindrich HG. Zur quantitativen bestimmung der collagenase. Hoppe-Seyler's. Physiol. Chem. 1963 ; 333 : 149-151. https://doi.org/10.1515/bchm2.1963.333.1.149
- Gross J, Lapiere CM. Collagenolytic activity in amphibian tissues : a tissue culture assay. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1962 ; 54 : 1197–1204. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.54.4.1197
- Yuk CS. Coloured medicinal plants of Korea. Academy book Co, Seoul, Korea. 1990 ; 219-30.
- Oikarinen A. Theaging of skin : Chronoaging versus photoaging. Photodermatology, Photoimmunology & Photomedicine. 1990 ; 7(1) : 3-4.
- Talwar HS, Griffiths CE, Fisher GJ, Hamilton TA, and Voorhees JJ. Reduced type I and type III procollagens in photodamaged adult humanskin. J Invenst Dermatol. 1995 ; 105 : 285–90. https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12318471
- Fisher GJ, Datta SC, Talwar HS, Wang ZQ, Varani J, and Kang S. Molecular basis of sun-induced premature ageing and retinoid antagonism. Nature. 1996 ; 379 : 335–9. https://doi.org/10.1038/379335a0