- Volume 16 Issue 4
Multilevel inverters (MLIs) have been preferred over conventional two-level inverters due to their inherent properties such as reduced harmonic distortion, lower electromagnetic interference, minimal common mode voltage, ability to synthesize medium/high voltage from low voltage sources, etc. On the other hand, they suffer from an increased number of switching devices, complex gate pulse generation, etc. This paper develops an ingenious symmetrical MLI topology, which consumes lesser component count. The proposed level dependent sources concoction multilevel inverter (LDSCMLI) is basically a multilevel dc link MLI (MLDCMLI), which first synthesizes a stepped dc link voltage using a sources concoction module and then realizes the ac waveform through a conventional H-bridge. Seven level and eleven level versions of the proposed topology are simulated in MATLAB r2010b and prototypes are constructed to validate the performance. The proposed topology requires lesser components compared to recent component reduced MLI topologies and the classical topologies. In addition, it requires fewer carrier signals and gate driver circuits.
Component count;Level dependent sources concoction multilevel inverter (LDSCMLI);Phase disposition pulse width modulation
- N. S. Choi, J. G. Cho, and G. H. Cho, “A general circuit topology of multilevel inverter,” Proceedings of 22nd Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC’91), pp. 96-103, 1991.
- K. Corzine and Y. Familiant, “A new cascaded multilevel H-bridge drive,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 125-131, Jan. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.988678
- B. P. McGrath and D. G. Holmes, “Natural capacitor voltage balancing for a flying capacitor converter induction motor drive,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No.6, pp. 1554-1561, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2016567
- J. Rodriguez, J.-S. Lai, and F. Z. Peng, “Multilevel inverters: A survey of topologies, controls, and applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 724-738, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- A. L. Batschauer, S. A. Mussa, and M. L. Heldwein, “Three-phase hybrid multilevel inverter based on half-bridge modules,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 668-678, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2158039
- E. Babaei, “A cascade multilevel converter topology with reduced number of switches,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 2657-2664, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005192
- J. Ebrahimi, E. Babaei, and G. B. Gharehpetian, “A new topology of cascaded multilevel converters with reduced number of components for high-voltage applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3109-3118, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2148177
- A. Nami, F. Zare, A. Ghosh and F. Blaabjerg, “A hybrid cascaded converter topology with series-connected symmetrical and asymmetrical diode-clamped H-bridge cells,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 51-64, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2031115
- M. Manjrekar and T. A. Lipo, “A hybrid multilevel inverter topology for drive application,” Proceedings of Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC'98), pp. 523-529, 1998.
- A. Rufer, M. Veenstra, and K. Gopakumar, “Asymmetric multilevel converter for high resolution voltage phasor generation,” Proceedings of European Power Electronics Conference (EPE'99), 1999.
- G. J. Su, “Multilevel dc-link inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 848-854, May/Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.847306
- S. Ramkumar, V. Kamaraj, S. Thamizharasan, and S. Jeevananthan, “A new series parallel switched multilevel dc-link inverter topology,” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 93-99, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.10.028
- E. Babaei, S. H. Hosseinia, G. B. Gharehpetianb, M. T. Haquea, and M. Sabahia, “Reduction of dc voltage sources and switches in asymmetrical multilevel converters using a novel topology,” Elsevier Journal of Electric Power System Research, Vol. 77, No. 8, pp. 1073-1085, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.09.012
- A. Lesnicar and R. Marquardt, “An innovative modular multilevel converter topology suitable for a wide power range,” Proceedings of IEEE Power Technical Conference, Vol. 3, 2003.
- G. P. Adam, O. Anaya-Lara, G. M. Burt, D. Telford, B. W. Williams, and J. R. Mcdonald, “Modular multilevel inverter: pulse width modulation and capacitor balancing technique,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 702-715, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2009.0184
- K. K. Gupta and S. Jain, “Topology for multilevel inverters to attain maximum number of levels from given DC sources,” IET Power Electron,, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 1755-4535, Apr, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2011.0178
- A. Ajami, M. R. J, Oskuee, M. T. Khosroshahi, and A. Mokhberdoran, “Cascade-multi-cell multilevel converter with reduced number of switches,” IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 552-558, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0261
- M. T. Khosroshahi, A. Ajami, A. O. Mokhberdoran, and M. J. Oskuee, “Multilevel hybrid cascade-stack inverter with substantial reduction in switches number and power losses,” Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 987-1000, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.3906/elk-1304-179
- P. M. Bhagwat and V. R. Stefanovic, “Generalized structure of a multilevel PWM inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 1057-1069, Nov./Dec. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1983.4504335
- G. Carrara, S. Gardella, M. Marchesoni, R. Salutari, and G. Sciutto, “A new multilevel PWM method: A theoretical analysis,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 497-505, Jul. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.145137
- B. P. McGrath and D. G. Holmes, “A comparison of multi carrier PWM strategies for cascaded and neutral point clamped multilevel inverters,” Proceedings of 31st Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialized Conference (PESC'2000), pp.674-679, 2000.
- M. Calais, L. J. Borle, and V. G. Agelidis, “Analysis of multi-carrier PWM methods for single-phase five level inverter,” Proceedings of 32nd Annual Meeting and IEEE Power Electronics Specialized Conference (PESC'2001), Vol. 3, pp. 1351-1356, 2001.
- H. Patangia and D. Gregory, “A class of optimal multilevel inverters based on sectionalized PWM (S-PWM) modulation strategy,” Proceedings of 52nd IEEE International Conference on Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS'09), pp. 937-940, 2009.
- S. N. Rao, D. V. A. Kumar and C. S. Babu, “New multilevel inverter topology with reduced number of switches using advanced modulation strategies,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Power, Energy and Control (ICPEC), pp. 693-699, 2013.
- M. Kanimozhi and P. Geetha, “A new boost switched capacitor multilevel inverter using different multi carrier PWM techniques,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT), pp. 432-437, 2014.
- V. N. Nguyen and J. Y. Myung, “A Single Carrier Multi-Modulation Method In Multilevel Inverters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 76-82, Jan. 2005.
- V. N. Nguyen and J. Y. Myung, “A unified carrier based PWM method in multilevel inverters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp.142-150, Apr. 2005.
- S. Agarwal and S. R. Deore, “Level shifted SPWM of a seven level cascaded multilevel inverter for STATCOM applications,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Nascent Technologies in the Engineering Field (ICNTE), pp. 1-7, 2015.
- S. Venkatanarayanan and M. Saravanan, “Implementation of sliding mode controller for Single Ended Primary Inductor Converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 39-53, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.39
- S. Venkatanarayanan and M. Saravanan, “Design of parallel operated SEPIC converters using coupled inductor for sharing load,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 327-337, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.327
- Finite control set predictive control of shunt hybrid power filter vol.104, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2016.1253787
- Model predictive control method for CHB multi-level inverter with reduced calculation complexity and fast dynamics vol.11, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2016.0330
- Design and analysis of novel optimal harmonic elimination strategy based on MOPSO to obliterate low-order harmonics of odd-nary cascaded transformers-based multilevel inverter pp.01704214, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/mma.5356
- A Segmented Ladder-Structured Multilevel Inverter for Switch Count Remission and Dual-Mode Savvy vol.27, pp.14, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218126618502237
- Design and simulation of Cascaded and Hybrid Multilevel Inverter with reduced number of semiconductor switches pp.2162-8246, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2019.1583127