- Volume 16 Issue 4
This paper presents a discrete-time version of voltage and current limited operation using an enhanced direct torque and flux control method for interior permanent magnet synchronous motor (IPMSM) drives. A command voltage vector for airgap torque and stator flux regulation can be uniquely determined by the finite-settling-step direct torque and flux control (FSS-DTFC) algorithm under physical constraints. The proposed command voltage vector trajectories can be developed to achieve the maximum inverter voltage utilization for the discrete-time current limit (DTCL)-based FSS-DTFC. The algorithm can produce adequate results over a number of the potential secondary upsets found in the steady-state current limit (SSCL)-based DTFC. The fast changes in the torque and stator flux linkage improve the dynamic responses significantly over a wide constant-power operating region. The control strategy was evaluated on a 900W IPMSM in both simulations and experiments.
Discrete-time current limit (DTCL);Finite-settling-step direct torque and flux control (FSS-DTFC);Maximum inverter voltage utilization;Steady-state current limit (SSCL)
- B. H. Kenny and R. D. Lorenz, “Stator and rotor flux based deadbeat direct torque control of an induction machine,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 1093-1101, Jul./Aug. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.813727
- J. S. Lee, R. D. Lorenz, and M. A. Valenzuela, “Time-optimal and loss-minimizing deadbeat-direct torque and flux control for interior permanent-magnet synchronous machines,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 1749-1758, May/Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2287313
- I. Boldea, M. C. Paicu, G. D. Andreescu, and F. Blaabjerg, “Active flux DTFC-SVM sensorless control of IPMSM,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 314-322, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2016137
- J. S. Lee, C. H. Choi, J. K. Seok, and R. D. Lorenz, “Deadbeat direct torque and flux control of interior permanent magnet machines with discrete time stator current and stator flux linkage observer,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 1749-1758, Jul./Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2154293
- C. H. Choi, J. K. Seok, and R. D. Lorenz, “Wide-speed direct torque and flux control for interior PM synchronous motors operating at voltage and current limits,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 109-117, Jan./Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2229684
- S. H. Kim and J. K. Seok, “Finite-settling steps direct torque and flux control (FSS-DTFC) for torque-controlled interior PM motors at voltage limits,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 5, pp. 3374-3381, Sep./Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2303424
- S. H. Kim, C. H. Choi, and J. K. Seok, "Discrete-time physical limits-based enhanced finite-settling-step direct torque and flux control for IPMSM drives," in Proc. IEEE Energy Convers. Congr. Expo. Conf., pp. 1794-1800, 2013.
- G. Foo and M. F. Rahman, “Sensorless direct torque and flux-controlled IPM synchronous motor drive at very low speed without signal injection,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 395-403, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2030815
- S. H. Kim and J. K. Seok, “Maximum voltage utilization of IPMSMs using modulating voltage scalability for automotive applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 28, No. 124, pp. 5639-5646, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2253802
- R. L. Shrestha and J. K. Seok, “Online compensation of parameter variation effects for robust interior PM synchronous motor drives,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp.713-718, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.713