- Volume 16 Issue 4
A novel controller design is presented for the recently proposed electric springs (ESs). The dynamic modeling is analyzed first, and the initial Bode diagram is derived from the s-domain transfer function in the open loop. The design objective is set according to the characteristics of a minimum phase system. Step-by-step optimizations of the Bode diagram are provided to illustrate the proposed controller, the design of which is different from the classical multistage leading/lagging design. The final controller is the accumulation of the transfer function at each step. With the controller and the recently proposed δ control, the critical load voltage can be regulated to follow the desired waveform precisely while the fluctuations and distortions of the input voltage are passed to the non-critical loads. Frequency responses at any point can be modified in the Bode diagram. The results of the modeling and controller design are validated via simulations. Hardware and software designs are provided. A digital phase locked loop is realized with the platform of a digital signal processor. The effectiveness of the proposed control is also validated by experimental results.
Bode diagram;Controller design;Electric spring;Minimum phase system;Modeling;Phase control;Renewable energy systems
- M. Cheng and Y. Zhu, “The state of the art of wind energy conversion systems and technologies: A review,” Energy Convers. Manag., Vol. 88, pp. 332-347, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.08.037
- S. C. Lee, S. J. Kim, and S. H. Kim, “Demand side management with air conditioner loads based on the queuing system model,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 661-668, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2066583
- P. Palensky and D. Dietrich, “Demand side management: demand response, intelligent energy systems, and smart loads,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 381-388, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2011.2158841
- S. X. Du, J. J. Liu, J. L. Lin, and Y. J. He, “A novel DC voltage control method for STATCOM based on hybrid multilevel H-Bridge converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 101-111, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2195508
- P C. O. Gercek and M.Ermis, “Elimination of coupling transformer core saturation in cascaded multilevel converter-based T-STATCOM systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 6796-6809, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2306917
- A. Luo, Z. K. Shuai, W. J. Zhu, and Z. J. Shen, “Combined system for harmonic suppression and reactive power compensation,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 418-428, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2008357
- T. J. Dionise, “Assessing the performance of a static var compensator for an electric arc furnace,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat., Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 1619-1629, May/Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2282762
- P. Sotoodeh and R. D. Miller, “Design and implementation of an 11-level inverter with FACTS capability for distributed energy systems,” IEEE J. Emerging Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 87-96, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2013.2293311
- A. J. Conejo, J. M. Morales, and L. Baringo, “Real-time demand response model,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 236-242, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2010.2078843
- S. Y. R. Hui, C. K. Lee, and F. Wu, “Electric springs – A new smart grid technology,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 1552-1561, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2200701
- C. K. Lee and S. Y. R. Hui, “Reduction of energy storage requirements in future smart grid using electric springs,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 1282-1288, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2252208
- C. K. Lee, S. C. Tan, F. F. Wu, S. Y. R. Hui, and B. Chaudhuri, "Use of Hooke's law for stabilizing future smart grid—the electric spring concept," in Proc. IEEE Energy Conversion Cong. Expo., pp. 5253-5257, 2013.
- P. Kanjiya and V. Khadkikar, "Enhancing power quality and stability of future smart grid with intermittent renewable energy sources using electric springs," in Proc. Int. Conf. Renewable Energy Res. Applicat., pp. 918-922, 2013.
- S. Yan, S. C. Tan, C. K. Lee, and S. Y. R. Hui, "Electric spring for power quality improvement," in Proc. 29th Annual IEEE Applicat. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., pp. 2140-2147, 2014.
- C. K. Lee, B. Chaudhuri, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Hardware and control implementation of electric springs for stabilizing future smart grid with intermittent renewable energy sources,” IEEE J. Emerging Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 18-27, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2013.2264091
- C. K. Lee, K. L. Cheng, and W. M. Ng, "Load characterisation of electric spring," in Proc. IEEE Energy Conversion Cong. Expo., pp. 4665-4670, 2013.
- S. C. Tan, C. K. Lee, and S. Y. R. Hui, “General steady-state analysis and control principle of electric springs with active and reactive power compensations,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 3958-3969, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2227823
- N. R. Chaudhuiri, C. K. Lee, B. Chaudhuri, and S. Y. R. Hui, “Dynamic modeling of electric springs,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 2450-2458, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2319858
- Q. Wang, M. Cheng, Z. Chen, and Z. Wang, “Steady-state analysis of electric springs with a novel δ control,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 12, pp. 7159-7169, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2391278
- M. Tanemura, Y. Chida, H. Kobayashi, and M. Hirata, "Parallel feedforward design using LMI for unknown disturbance estimation of non-minimum phase system," in Proc. SICE Annual Conf., pp.1998-2003, 2014.
- Z. Zou, K. Zhou, Z. Wang, and M. Cheng, “Frequency-adaptive fractional-order repetitive control of shunt active power filters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 1659-1668, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2363442
- Integration of Electric Springs and Multi-Port Transformers—A New Solution for AC Microgrids with Renewable Energy Sources vol.10, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10020193
- An adaptive voltage-regulation control strategy of an electric spring based on output current feedback pp.19314973, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tee.22820