- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Real-Time Method for the Diagnosis of Multiple Switch Faults in NPC Inverters Based on Output Currents Analysis
Abadi, Mohsen Bandar;Mendes, Andre M.S.;Cruz, Sergio M.A.
- Received : 2015.11.27
- Accepted : 2016.03.27
- Published : 2016.07.20
This paper presents a new approach for fault diagnosis in three-level neutral point clamped inverters. The proposed method is based on the average values of the positive and negative parts of normalized output currents. This method is capable of detecting and locating multiple open-circuit faults in the controlled power switches of converters in half of a fundamental period of those currents. The implementation of this diagnostic approach only requires two output currents of the inverter. Therefore, no additional sensors are needed other than the ones already used by the control system of a drive based on this type of converter. Moreover, through the normalization of currents, the diagnosis is independent of the load level of the converter. The performance and effectiveness of the proposed diagnostic technique are validated by experimental results obtained under steady-state and transient conditions.
AC drive;Fault location;Multiple faults;NPC inverter;Open-circuit faults
- C. L. Xia, Z. Xu, and J. X. Zhao, “A new direct power control strategy for NPC three-level voltage source rectifiers using a novel vector influence table method,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 106-115, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.106
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Pou, L. G. Franquelo, W. Bin, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, “Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2553-2580, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049719
- P. Alemi, S. Y. Jeong, and D. C. Lee, “Active damping of LLCL filters using PR control for grid-connected three-level T-type converters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 786-795, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.786
- H. Abu-Rub, J. Holtz, J. Rodriguez, and G. Baoming, “Medium-voltage multilevel converters; state of the art, challenges, and requirements in industrial applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2581-2596, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2043039
- D. M. Lee, J. W. Jung, and S. S. Kwak, “Simple space vector PWM scheme for 3-level NPC inverters including the overmodulation region,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 688-696, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.688
- Z. Ye, Y. Xu, F. Li, X. Deng, and Y. Zhang, “Simplified PWM strategy for neutral-point-clamped (NPC) three-level converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 519-530, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.519
- S. Alepuz, A. Calle, S. Busquets-Monge, S. Kouro, and B. Wu, “Use of stored energy in PMSG rotor inertia for low-voltage ride-through in back-to-back NPC converter-based wind power systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 1787-1796, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2190954
- G. Xiaoqiang, M. C. Cavalcanti, A. M. Farias, and J. M. Guerrero, “Single-carrier modulation for neutral-point-clamped inverters in three-phase transformerless photovoltaic systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron.,Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 2635-2637, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2224138
- I. Lopez, S. Ceballos, J. Pou, J. Zaragoza, J. Andreu, I. Kortabarria, and V. Agelidis, “Modulation strategy for multiphase neutral-point-clamped converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 928-941, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2416911
- U. M. Choi, H. G. Jeong, K. B. Lee, and F. Blaabjerg, “Method for detecting an open-switch fault in a grid-connected NPC inverter system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 2726-2739, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2178435
- W. S. Im, J. S. Kim, J. M. Kim, D. C. Lee, and K. B. Lee, “Diagnosis methods for IGBT open switch fault applied to 3-Phase AC/DC PWM converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 120-127, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.1.120
- L. M. A. Caseiro and A. M. S. Mendes, “Real-time IGBT open-circuit fault diagnosis in three-level neutral-point-clamped voltage-source rectifiers based on instant voltage error,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 1669-1678, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2341558
- U. M. Choi, F. Blaabjerg, and K. B. Lee, “Study and handling methods of power IGBT module failures in power electronic converter systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 2517-2533, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2373390
- W. Zhang, D. Xu, P. N. Enjeti, H. Li, J. T. Hawke, and H. S. Krishnamoorthy, “Survey on fault-tolerant techniques for power electronic converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 6319-6331, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2304561
- Y. J. Ko and K. B. Lee, “Fault diagnosis of a voltage-fed PWM inverter for a three-parallel power conversion system in a wind turbine,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 686-693, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.6.686
- T. J. Kim, W. C. Lee, and D. S. Hyun, “Detection method for ppen-circuit fault in neutral-point-clamped inverter systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 7, pp. 2754-2763, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2019775
- J. S. Lee, K. B. Lee, and F. Blaabjerg, “Open-switch fault detection method of a back-to-back converter using NPC topology for wind turbine systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl.,Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 325-335, Jan./Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2327151
- M. B. Abadi, A. M. S. Mendes, and S. M. A. Cruz, "Three-level NPC inverter fault diagnosis by the average current Park's vector approach," in 20th International Conference on Electrical Machines(ICEM), pp. 1893-1898, Sep. 2012.
- A. M. S. Mendes, M. B. Abadi, and S. M. A. Cruz, “Fault diagnostic algorithm for three-level neutral point clamped AC motor drives, based on the average current Park's vector,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 1127-1137, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0416
- B. Wu, High-Power Converters and AC Drives, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. 2006.
- A. K. Jain and V. T. Ranganathan, “Vce sensing for IGBT protection in NPC three level converters; causes for spurious trippings and their elimination,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 298-307, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2060358
- B. R. O. Baptista, M. B. Abadi, A. M. S. Mendes, and S. M. A. Cruz, "The performance of a three-phase induction motor fed by a three-level NPC converter with fault tolerant control strategies," in 9th IEEE International Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics and Drives (SDEMPED), pp. 497-504, Aug. 2013.