- Volume 16 Issue 4
Power quality promotion has received increasing attention because of the wide use of semiconductor devices in recent decades. Reactive power regulation is crucial to ensuring the stable operation of power systems. In this study, a continuous reactive power controller, which is referred to as a parallel-connected magnetic energy recovery switch (MERS), is developed to regulate voltage or power factor in power grids. First, the operating principle is introduced, and a mathematical model is built. Second, a new control method for restraining current harmonics and the peak voltages of capacitors is presented. Using the proposed method, the MERS shows a wide range in terms of reactive power compensation. Finally, the performance of the proposed controller is demonstrated through computer simulations and experiments. Unlike STATCOMs, the proposed controller entails low losses, adopts a small dc capacitor, and offers ease of use.
Continuous reactive power controller;Parallel-connected magnetic energy recovery switch;Power factor correction;Power quality
- J. A. Barrado, R. Griñó, and H. Vald-Blavi, “Power-quality improvement of a stand-alone induction generator using a STATCOM with battery energy storage system,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 2734-2741, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2051565
- L. Spasojević, I. Papič, and B. Blažič, “Development of a control algorithm for a static VAR compensator used in industrial networks,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 754-763, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.4.754
- B. Singh, S.S. Murthy, and S. Gupta, “STATCOM-based voltage regulator for self-excited induction generator feeding nonlinear loads,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 1437-1452, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.882008
- F. D. Wijaya, T. Isobe, K. Usuki, and J. A. Wiik, "A new automatic voltage regulator of self-excited induction generator using SVC magnetic energy recovery switch (MERS),"in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 697-703, Jun. 2008.
- M. S. El-Moursi and A. M. Sharaf, “Novel controllers for the 48-pulse VSC STATCOM and SSSC for voltage regulation and reactive power compensation,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 1985-1997, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.856996
- B. Singh, S. S. Murthyand, and S. Gupta, “Analysis and design of STATCOM-based voltage regulator for self-excited induction generators,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 783-790, Dec. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.827710
- R. K. Varma, S. A. Rahman, and T. Vanderheide, “New control of PV solar farm as STATCOM(PV-STATCOM) for increasing grid power transmission limits during night and day,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.755-764, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2375216
- B. Gultekin and M. Ermis, “Cascaded multilevel converter-based transmission STATCOM: system design methodology and development of a 12 kV ±12 MVAr power stage,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp.4930-4950, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2238642
- M. M. Cheng, K. Feng, T. Isobe, and R. Shimada, “Characteristics of the magnetic energy recovery switch as a static Var compensator technology,” IET Power Electronics, Vol.8, No.8, pp.1329-1338, Aug. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0609
- Y. Wei, L. Kang, Z. Huang, Z. Li, and M. M. Cheng, “A magnetic energy recovery switch based terminal voltage regulator for the three-phase self-excited induction generators in renewable energy systems,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp.1305-1317, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1305
- J.A. Wiik, O. J. Fonstelien, and R. Shimada, "A MERS type series FACTS controller for low voltage ride through of induction generators in wind farms," in 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-10, Sep. 2009.
- T. Kawaguchi, T. Sakazaki, T. Isobe, and R. Shimada, “Offshore windfarm configuration using diode rectifier with MERS in current link topology,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 7, pp. 2930-2937, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2217716
- M.M. Cheng, D. Shiojima, T. Isobe, and R. Shimada, "Voltage control of induction generator powered distributed system using a new reactive power compensator SVC-MERS," in 15th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE/PEMC), pp. 71-78, Sep. 2012.