- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Optimized Design of a NPC Three-Level Inverter Forced-Air Cooling System Based on Dynamic Power-loss Calculations of the Maximum Power-Loss Range
Xu, Shi-Zhou;He, Feng-You
- Received : 2015.11.19
- Accepted : 2016.03.09
- Published : 2016.07.20
In some special occasions with strict size requirements, such as mine hoists, improving the design accuracy of the forced-air cooling systems of NPC three-level inverters is a key technology for improving the power density and decreasing the volume. First, a fast power-loss calculation method was brought. Its calculation principle introduced in detail, and the computation formulas were deduced. Secondly, the average and dynamic power losses of a 1MW mine hoist acting as the research target were analyzed, and a forced-air cooling system model based on a series of theoretical analyses was designed with the average power loss as a heat source. The simulation analyses proves the accuracy and effectiveness of this cooling system during the unit lifting period. Finally, according to an analysis of the periodic working condition, the maximum power-loss range of a NPC three-level inverter under multi cycle operation was obtained and its dynamic power loss was taken into the optimized cooling system model as a heat source to solve the power device damage caused by instantaneous heat accumulation. The effectiveness and feasibility of the optimization design based on the dynamic power loss calculation of the maximum power-loss range was proved by simulation and experimental results.
Cooling system;Heat sink optimization;NPC three-level inverter;Power loss calculation
- P. M. Fabis, D. Shum, and H. Windischmann, "Thermal modeling of diamond-based power electronics packaging," in 15th Annual IEEE Semiconductor Thermal Measurement & Management Symposium, pp. 98-104, Mar. 1999.
- P. Mao, S. J. Xie, and Z. G. Xu, “Switching transients model and loss analysis of IGBT module,” Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 30, No. 15, pp. 40-47, 2010.
- D. Yi and M. Y. Liao, “Losses calculation of IGBT module and heat dissipation system design of inverters,” Electric Drive Automation, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 159-163, 2011.
- A. D. Rajapakse, A. M. Gole, and P. L. Wilson, “Electromagnetic transients simulation models for accurate representation of switching losses and thermal performance in power electronic systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 20, No. 1 , pp. 319-327, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.839726
- F. Krismer and J. W. Kolar, “Accurate power loss model derivation of a high-current dual active bridge converter for an automotive application,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 881-891, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2025284
- Q. Chen, Q. Wang, W. Jiang, and C. Hu, “Analysis of switching losses in diode-clamped three-level converter,” Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 68-75, Feb. 2008.
- M. H. Bierhoff and F. W. Fuchs, "Semiconductor losses in voltage source and current source IGBT converters based on analytical derivation," in IEEE 35th Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Vol. 4, pp. 2836-2842, 2004.
- T. J. Kim, D. W. Kang, Y. H. Lee, and D. S. Hyun, "The analysis of conduction and switching losses in multi-level inverter system," in IEEE 32nd Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Vol. 3, pp. 1363-1368, 2001.
- Q. J. Wang, Q. Chen, W. D. Jiang, and C. G. Hu, “Analysis of conduction losses in neutral-point-clamped three-level inverter,” Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 66-70, Mar. 2007.
- S. Dieckerhoff, S. Bernet, and D. Krug, “Power loss-oriented evaluation of high voltage IGBTs and multilevel converters in transformerless traction applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 1328-1336, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.857534
- W. Jing, G. J. Tan, and Z. B. Ye, “Losses calculation and heat dissipation analysis of high-power three-level converters,” Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 134-140, Feb. 2011.
- K. Ma, Y. Yang, and F. Blaabjerg, "Transient modelling of loss and thermal dynamics in power semiconductor devices," in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 5495-5501, Sep. 2014.
- W. Jing, Study on power device losses of high-power three-level converter, Ph. D. Dissertation, China University of Mining and Technology, China, 2011.
- J. h. Hu, J. G. Li, and J. B. Zou, “Losses calculation of IGBT module and heat dissipation system design of inverters,” Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 159-163, Mar. 2009.
- F. Hong, R. Z. Shan, H. Z. Wang, and Y. G. Yan, “Analysis and calculation of inverter power loss,” Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 28, No. 15, pp. 72-78, 2008.
- X. He, Y. Wu, H. Luo, P. Li, and W. Li, “Quasi-online modeling method of the power inverter losses based on igbt offline test platform,” Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 1-6, Jun. 2014.
- U. Drofenik, G. Laimer, J. W. Kolar, "Theoretical converter power density limits for forced convection cooling," in Proceedings of the PCIM, pp. 608-619, 2005.
- U. Drofenik and J. W. Kolar, "Analyzing the theoretical limits of forced air-cooling by employing advanced composite materials with thermal conductivities>400 W/mK," in 4th International Conference on Integrated Power Systems (CIPS), pp. 1-6, Jun. 2006.
- E. M. Sparrow, B. R. Baliga, and S. V. Patankar, “Forced convection heat transfer from a shrouded fin array with and without tip clearance,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 100, No. 4, pp. 572-579, Nov. 1978. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3450859
- S. Lee, "Optimum design and selection of heat sinks," in 11th Annual IEEE Semiconductor Thermal Measurement and Management Symposium, pp. 48-54, Feb. 1995.
- W. Leonard, P. Teertstra, J. R. Culham, and A. Zaghol, "Characterization of heat sink flow bypass in plate fin heat sinks," in ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, pp. 189-196, Nov. 2002.
- R. Hossain, J. R. Culham, and M. M. Yovanovich, "Influence of bypass on flow through plate fin heat sinks," in 23rd Annual IEEE Semiconductor Thermal Measurement and Management Symposium, pp. 220-227, Mar. 2007.
- P. Q. Ning, F. Wang, and K. D. T. Ngo, “Forced-air cooling system design under weight constraint for high-temperature SiC converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 29, pp. 1998-2007, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2271259
- R. A. Wirtz, W. Chen, and R. Zhou, “Effect of flow bypass on the performance of longitudinal fin heat sinks,” Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 116, No. 3, pp. 206-211, Sep. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2905687
- J. R. Culham and Y. S. Muzychka, “Optimization of plate fin heat sinks using entropy generation minimization,” IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Technol., Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 159-165, Jun. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/6144.926378
- Power Device Thermal Fault Tolerant Control of High-Power Three-Level Explosion-Proof Inverter Based on Holographic Equivalent Dual-Mode Modulation vol.2017, pp.1563-5031, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/6961832