- Volume 16 Issue 4
This paper presents the dynamic excitation control of a siphon-turbine coupled pico-hydro powered cage rotor induction generator and load matching for off-grid electricity generation. Through the proposed dual-role of the current-controlled voltage source converter (VSC), acting as static synchronous compensator and load controller, real and reactive power are dynamically controlled in a decoupled manner with a self supported DC-bus. The proposed scheme entails minimal computation for ensuring the rated (set) capacity of real power. The scheme also exhibits fault immunity for protection, thus enabling the effective handling of constant power electrical loads presented by base telecom station towers in remote locations. The performance of the system is evaluated under MATLAB/Simulink and is experimented through a developed hardware prototype. Simulation and experimental results show close conformity and validate the effectiveness of the proposed scheme.
Isolated base telecom station;Load controller;Pico-hydro;Siphon turbine;STATCOM
- W. Balshe, "Power system considerations for cell tower applications," in Proc. Technical Information from Cummins Power Generation, No. 9019, 2011.
- D. Li, W. Saad, I. Guvenc, A. Mehbodniya, and F. Adachi, “Decentralized energy allocation for wireless networks with renewable energy powered base stations,” IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 63, No. 6, pp. 2126-2142, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2015.2424242
- G. M. Dousoky, A. M. El-Sayed, and M. Shoyama, “Improved orientation strategy for energy-efficiency in photovoltaic panels,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 335-341, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.3.335
- J. T. Carter, "Siphon pump technology and apparatuses," U.S. Patent 8763625, Jul. 2014.
- A. V. Braga, A. J. Rezek, V. F. Silva, A. N. C. Viana, E. C. Bortoni, W. D. C. Sanchez, and P. F. Ribeiro, “Isolated induction generator in a rural Brazilian area: Field performance tests,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 83, pp. 1352-1361, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.05.057
- L. Wang and D. J. Lee, “Coordination control of an AC-to-DC converter and a switched excitation capacitor bank for an autonomous self-excited induction generator in renewable-energy systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 2828-2836, Jul./Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2298555
- B. Singh and V. Rajagopal, “Battery energy storage based voltage and frequency controller for isolated pico hydro systems,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 874-883, Nov. 2009.