- Volume 32 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study on Unsaturated Characteristic Curves of Boeun Granite Weathered Soil during Drying and Wetting Paths
건조 및 습윤과정에서 보은 화강암 풍화토의 불포화특성곡선 비교
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.06.28
- Published : 2016.07.31
To investigate the unsaturated characteristics of the Boeun granite weathered soil, matric suction and volumetric water content were measured in both drying and wetting paths using Automated Soil-Water Characteristics Curve Apparatus. Based on the measured results, Soil-Water Characteristics Curve was estimated by van Genuchten (1980) model. The relationship between effective degree of saturation and matric suction showed the non-linear curve with S-shape and the hysteresis phenomenon occurred during drying and wetting paths. Suction Stress Characteristics Curve was estimated by the Lu and Likos (2006) model. The suction stress in drying path was constantly maintained and that in wetting path tended to increase when the effective degree of saturation was low. But the suction stress in drying path was larger than that in wetting path at the same degree of saturation when the effective degree of saturation became larger. Meanwhile, Hydraulic Conductivity Function was evaluated by the van Genuchten (1980) model which is one of the parameter estimation methods. The unsaturated hydraulic conductivity decreased with increasing the matric suction, and the decreasing velocity regarding to the matric suction in drying path was larger than that in wetting path.
Granite weathered soil;Drying and wetting paths;Soil-Water Characteristics Curve;Suction Stress Characteristics Curve;Hydraulic Conductivity Function
- Abu-Hejleh, A.N., Znicari, D., and Illangasekare, T.H. (1993), "Permeability Determination for Unsaturated Soils", Unsaturated soils, GSP No.39, ASCE, Houston, S. and Wray, W. eds., pp. 163-174.
- Bishop, A.W. (1959), "The Principle of Effective Stress", Teknisk Ukeblad I Samarbeide Med Teknikk, Vol.106, No.39, pp.859-863.
- Brooks, R. H. and Corey, A. T. (1964), Hydraulic properties of porous media, Colorado State University(Fort Collins), Hydrology Paper, 3, March.
- Buckingham, E. (1907), Studies on the movement of soil moisture, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Soils Bulletin 38, U.S. Government Publishing Office, Washington, DC.
- Campbell, G.S. (1974), "A Simple Method for Determine Unsaturated Conductivity from Moisture Retention Data", Soil Science, Vol.117, pp.311-314. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-197406000-00001
- Croney, D. (1952), "The Movement and Distribution of Water in Soil", Geotechnique, Vol.3, No.1, pp.1-16. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.52
- Croney, D., Coleman, J.D., and Bridge, P.M. (1952), The suction of moisture held in soils and other prous materials, Tech. Paper, Road Research Board, 24.
- Dane, J.H. and Hruska, S. (1983), "In-situ Determination of Soil Hydraulic Properties during Leaching", Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol.47, No.4, pp.619-624. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1983.03615995004700040001x
- Fredlund, D.G. and Xing, A. (1994), "Equations for the Soil-water Characteristic Curve", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.31, No.3, pp.521-532. https://doi.org/10.1139/t94-061
- Fredlund, D.G., Morgenstern, N.R., and Widger, D.A. (1978), "The Shear Strength of Unsaturated Soils", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.15, No.3, pp.313-321. https://doi.org/10.1139/t78-029
- Gardner, R. (1937), "A Method of Measuring the Capillary Tension of Soil Moisture Over a Wide Moisture Range", Soil Science, Vol.43, pp.227-283.
- Gardner, W. R. (1958), "Some Steady State Solutions of the Unsaturated Moisture Flow Equation with Application to Evaporation from a Water Table", Soil Science, Vol.85, pp.4, pp.228-232. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-195804000-00006
- Hassler, G.L. and Brunner, E. (1945), "Measurement of Capillary Pressures in Small Core Samples", Petroleum Technology, Technical Paper, pp.114-123.
- Hilf, J.W. (1956), An investigation of pore water pressure in compacted cohesive soils, Technical Memorandum No.654, U.S. Department of the interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Design and Construction Division, Denver, CO.
- Kassiff, G. and Ben Shalom, A. (1971), "Experimental Relationship between Swell Pressure and Suction", Geotechnique, Vol.21, pp. 245-255. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19184.108.40.206
Khalili, N. and Khabbaz, M.H. (1998), "A Unique Relationship for
$\chi$for the Determination of the Shear Strength of Unsaturated Soils, Geotechnique, Vol.48, No.5, pp.681-687. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19220.127.116.111
- Lu, N. and Likos, W.J. (2004), Unsaturated soil mechanics, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York. 556p.
- Lu, N. and Likos, W.J. (2006), "Suction Stress Characteristic Curve for Unsaturated Soil", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.132, No.2, pp.131-142. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2006)132:2(131)
- Lu, N., Godt, J.W., and Wu, D.T. (2010), "A Closed-form Equation for Effective Stress in Unsaturated Soil", Water Resources Research, Vol.46, W05515.
- Mualem, Y. (1976), "A New Model for Predicting the Hydraulic Conductivity of Unsaturated Porous Media", Water Resources Research, Vol.12, No.3, pp.513-522. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR012i003p00513
- Park, S.W., Shin, G.H., and Kim, B.S. (2006), "Soil-water Characteristics and Hysteretic behaviors on Unsaturated Pavement Subgrades in Test Roads", Journal of the Korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol.8, No.2, pp.95-104. (In Korean with English abstract)
- Richards, L.A. (1928), "The Usefulness of Capillary Potential to Soil Moisture and Plant Investigators", Journal of Agricultural Research, Vol.37, pp.719-742.
- Richards, L.A. (1931), "Capillary Conduction of Liquids through Porous Medium", Jour. Physics, Vol.1, pp.318-333.
- Richards, L.A. (1941), "A Pressure-membrane Extraction Appratus for Soil Solution", Soil Science, Vol.51, pp.377-386. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-194105000-00005
- Song, Y.S. (2013), "Estimation on Unsaturated Hydraulic Conductivity Function of Jumoonjin Sand for Various Relative Densities", Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.33, No.6, pp.2369-2379 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.6.2369
- Song, Y.S. and Choi, J.S. (2012), "Hysteresis of the Suction Stress in Unsaturated Weathered Mudstone Soils", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.28, No.3, pp.55-66 (In Korean with English abstract).
- Song, Y.S., Hwang, W.K., Jung, S.J., and Kim, T.H. (2012), "A Comparative Study of Suction Stress between Sand and Silt under Unsaturated Conditions", Engineering Geology, Vol.124, pp.90-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2011.10.006
- Song, Y.S., Lee, N.W., Hwang, W.K., and Kim, T.H. (2010), "Construction and Application of an Automated Apparatus for Calculating the Soil-Water Characteristics Curve", The Journal of Engineering Geology, Vol.20, No.3, pp.281-295.
- Terzaghi, K. (1943), Theoretical soil mechanics, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York.
- van Genuchten, M.Th. (1980), "A Closed-form Equation for Predicting the Hydraulic Conductivity of Unsaturated Soils", Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol.44, pp.892-898. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1980.03615995004400050002x
- Vanapalli, S.K., Fredlund, D.G., Pufahl, D.E., and Clifton, A.W. (1996), "Model for the Prediction of Shear Strength with Respect to Soil Suction", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.33, No.3, pp.379-392. https://doi.org/10.1139/t96-060
- Welge, H.J. (1952), "A Simplified Method for Computing Oil Recovery by Gas or Water Drive", Transactions AIME, Vol.195, pp.91-98.
- Wildenschild, D., Jensen, K.H., Hollenbeck, K.J., Illangasekare, T.H., Znicari, D., Sonnenborg, T., and Butts, M.B. (1997), "A Two-stage Procedure for Determining Unsaturated Hydraulic Characteristics using a Syringe Pump and Outflow Observations", Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol.61, pp.347-359. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1997.03615995006100020002x
- Zachman, D.W., Duchateau, P.C., and Klute, A. (1981), "The Calibration of the Richards Flow Equation for a Draining Column by Parameter Identification", Soil Science Society of America Journal, Vol.45, pp.1012-1015. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1981.03615995004500060002x
- Zur, B. (1966), "Osmotic Control the Matric Soil Water Potential", Soil Science, Vol.102, pp.394-398. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-196612000-00007
Grant : 실시간 모니터링 기반의 산사태 신속탐지기술 개발
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원