- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Chuna Manual Therapy for Primary Insomnia; A Review of Clinical Study
일차성 불면증의 추나 치료에 대한 문헌 연구 보고
- Hwang, Man-Suk (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Dae-Jeon Korean Medicine Hospital, Dae-Jeon University)
- 황만석 (대전대학교 대전한방병원 한방재활의학과)
- Received : 2016.06.17
- Accepted : 2016.07.08
- Published : 2016.07.31
Objectives To evaluate the evidence supporting the effectiveness of Chuna manual therapy for primary insomnia. Methods The researcher conducted search across the 3 electronic databases (Pubmed, CAJ and Oasis) to find all of randomized controlled clinical trials(RCTs) that used Chuna manual therapy as a treatment for primary insomnia. Results Four RCTs met inclusion criteria. The meta-analysis showed positive results for the use of Chuna manual therapy in terms of the PSQI when compared to medication treatments alone. Positive results were also obtained, in terms of the PSQI, when comparing Chuna manual therapy combined with acupuncture therapy to acupuncture therapy alone, but was not statistically significant. Conclusions The review found encouraging but limited evidence of Chuna manual therapy for primary insomnia. We recommend clinical trials which compare the effectiveness of Chuna manual therapy with usual care to obtain stronger evidence without the demerits of trial design.
Supported by : 한국보건산업진흥원
- Yoshioka E, Saijo Y, Kita T, Satoh H, Kawaharada M, Fukui T, et al. Gender differences in insomnia and the role of paid work and family responsibilities. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2012;47(4):651-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-011-0370-z
- Hale L, Do DP, Basurto-Davila R, Heron M, Finch BK, Dubowitz T, et al. Does mental health history explain gender disparities in insomnia symptoms among young adults? Sleep Med. 2009;10(10):1118-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2008.12.011
- Kang HW, Koo BS, Kwon BH et al. Oriental neuropsychiatry. Seoul:Jipmoondang publishing Co. 2007:242.
- http://www.snuh.org/ (Medical information of SNUH)
- Park JK. A Case Report of Primary Insomnia treated by Oryeong-san decoction. J of KMedi ACS 2015;7(1):45-52.
- Park IS, No DJ, Lee GE, Jo HG, Kang HW, Ryu YS, Park BR. A Case Report of Insomnia Improved by Jawon(Ziuan)'s Purgative Action. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry 2011;22(4):125-34. https://doi.org/10.7231/JON.2011.22.4.125
- Korean Society of Chuna manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. Chuna manual medicine. 2nd ed. Seoul:.Korean Society of Chuna manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014:26-37.
- Higgins J, Green S. Analysing and presenting results. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions 4.2.6 [updated september 2006]. Chichester,UK: John Wiley & Sons Inc. 2008:79-165.
- Ji DS, Li B, Lv FL. Treating primary insomnia with acupuncture and manipulation. J of Tianjin Univ of TCM. 2008;27(4):255-7.
- Buysse DJ. Insomnia. JAMA. 2013;309(7):706-16. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.193
- Morin CM, Benca R. Chronic insomnia. Lancet. 2012;379.
- Li L. Clinical observation on primary insomnia treated by tuina therapy of yinyang ruyin. Sandong Univ of TCM, Jinan, 2009.
- Li JN. The clinical study of "Yunfutongjin" for primary insomnia. Changchun Univ of TCM. Changchun. 2014.
- Yu ML. A clinical research on treating prinmary insomnia with roche massage and mental imagery. Chengdu Univ of TCM. Chengdu. 2015.
- Choi WJ, Lee BW, Kim DW, Lee H, Lee S, Oh ST, Kim WJ, Park JY. Research of the Status and Characterization of sleep disorders and co-morbid diseases by National Health Insurance data. NHIS ilssan hospital. 2015.
- Ertram G. Katzung. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology. Seoul:Gomum publishing Co.. 2011:440-1.
- Lee YH, Kwon GS, Lee SH, et al. The Clinical Review of Samgi-halleak Pharmacopuncture Effects for Insomnia & Fatigue. The Acupuncture. 2012;29(3):101-14.
- Kyrger MH, Roth T, Dement WC, editors. Principles and practice of sleep medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Co, 2005:185-91.
- Lee SJ, Park DH, Yu JH, Ryu SH, Ha JH, Song MK. Correlation between heart rate variability and sleep structure in primary insomnia. Sleep Medicine and Psychophysiology. 2010;17(1):21-7.
- Cui KM, Li WM, Liu X, Brian B, Li N, Wu GC. Effect of cervical manipulation on autonomic nervous function in healthy volunteers. Journal of Acupuncture and Tuina Science. 2006;4(5):267-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11726-005-0267-z