- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Case Report of Complex Korean Medical Treatment for Cervical Spinal Cord Injury and Neurogenic Bladder
한의복합치료 후 호전된 경부척수손상 환자의 사지마비 및 신경인성 방광: 증례보고
- Song, Min-Yeong (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Dong-Shin University) ;
- Jo, Hee-Guen (The Association of Korean Medicine) ;
- Kim, Tae-Gwang (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Dong-Shin University) ;
- Choi, Jin-Bong (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Dong-Shin University)
- 송민영 (동신대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 조희근 (대한한의사협회) ;
- 김태광 (동신대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 최진봉 (동신대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실)
- Received : 2016.05.12
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.07.31
A 57-year-old male patient was diagnosed as Incomplete cervical spinal cord injury and Neurogenic bladder after falling accident and suffered from tetraplegia and urinary retention. The patient was hospitalized and treated with Complex Korean Medical treatment such as acupuncture, electro-acupuncture, bee venom pharmacopuncture and herbal medication for 13 weeks. International Standard for Neurological Classification of Spinal Cord Injury (ISNCSCI) was adopted to evaluate the functional recovery and Korean version of Modified Barthel Index (K-MBI) was adopted to evaluate the recovery of activities of daily living (ADL). After treatment, Total scores of ISNCSCI and K-MBI were improved. Also patient's micturition reflex was recovered and symptoms of neurogenic bladder were improved. This result shows that Korean Medical treatment may be an effective treatment option for spinal cord injury and neurogenic bladder patients. Further clinical studies are needed to clarify the effect of Korean Medical treatment on spinal cord injury.
Supported by : Dongshin University
- Furlan JC, Noonan V, Singh A, Fehlings MG. Assessment of Impairment in Patients with Acute Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury: A Systematic Review of the Literature. J Neurotrauma. 2011 Aug;28(8):1445-77. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2009.1152
- Cripps RA, Lee BB, Wing P, Weerts E, Mackay J, Brown D. A global map for traumatic spinal cord injury epidemiology: towards a living data repository for injury prevention. Spinal Cord. 2011 Apr; 49(4):493-501. https://doi.org/10.1038/sc.2010.146
- Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2014 Survey on the disabled. Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2014:134.
- Harvey LA. Physiotherapy rehabilitation for people with spinal cord injuries. J Physiother. 2016 Jan;62(1):4-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2015.11.004
- Yilmaz T, Kaptanoglu E. Current and future medical therapeutic strategies for the functional repair of spinal cord injury. World J Orthop. 2015 Jan 18;6(1):42-55. https://doi.org/10.5312/wjo.v6.i1.42
- Bracken MB. Steroids for acute spinal cord injury. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Jan 18;1:CD001046.
- Furlan JC, Noonan V, Cadotte DW, Fehlings MG. Timing of decompressive surgery of spinal cord after traumatic spinal cord injury: an evidence-based examination of pre-clinical and clinical studies. J Neurotrauma. 2011 Aug;28(8):1371-99. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2009.1147
- Zhang T, Liu H, Liu Z, Wang L. Acupuncture for neurogenic bladder due to spinal cord injury: a systematic review protocol. BMJ Open. 2014 Sep 10;4(9):e006249. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006249
- Taweel WA, Seyam R. Neurogenic bladder in spinal cord injury patients. Res Rep Urol. 2015 Jun 10;7:85-99.
- Burns AS, Marino RJ, Flanders AE, Flett H. Clinical diagnosis and prognosis following spinal cord injury. Handb Clin Neurol. 2012;109:47-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-52137-8.00003-6
- Lee JH, Cho SW, A Case Report of Upper Extremities Rehabilitation of 2 Cervical Spinal Cord Injured Patients by Functional Electrical Stimulation with Korean Medical Interventions. Korean Med Rehab 2015;25(3):91-102. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.3.91
- Nam JK, Lee MJ, Kim HJ. The Clinical Study on Hua-Tuo-Jia-Ji-Xue Acupuncture Treatment to Neuropathic Pain of Patients with Spinal Cord Injury. Korean Med Rehab 2010;20(2):183-190.
- Park IS, Yoon IJ. The Clinical Study On 1 Case for The sensation of patient with Spinal Cord Injury whose is improved by using sweet BV. Journal of Pharmacopuncture 2009;12(2):77-84. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2009.12.2.077
- Kirshblum SC, Burns SP, Biering-Sorensen F, Donovan W, Graves DE, Jha A, Johansen M, Jones L, Krassioukov A, Mulcahey MJ, Schmidt-Read M, Waring W. International standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury (revised 2011). J Spinal Cord Med. 2011 Nov;34(6):535-46. https://doi.org/10.1179/204577211X13207446293695
- Jung HY, Park BK, Shin HS, Kang YK, Pyun SB, Paik NJ, et al. Development of the Korean Version of Modified Barthel Index (K-MBI): Multi-center Study for Subjects with Stroke. J Korean Acad Rehab Med. 2007;31(3):283-97.
- Williamson A, Hoggart B. Pain: a review of three commonly used pain rating scales. J Clin Nurs. 2005 Aug;14(7):798-804. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01121.x
- Lammertse D, Dungan D, Dreisbach J, Falci S, Flanders A, Marino R, Schwartz E; National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation. Neuroimaging in traumatic spinal cord injury: an evidence-based review for clinical practice and research. J Spinal Cord Med. 2007;30(3):205-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2007.11753928
- Marino RJ, Jones L, Kirshblum S, Tal J, Dasgupta A. Reliability and repeatability of the motor and sensory examination of the international standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2008;31(2):166-70. https://doi.org/10.1080/10790268.2008.11760707
- Jiang SH, Tu WZ, Zou EM, Hu J, Wang S, Li JR, et al. Neuroprotective effects of different modalities of acupuncture on traumatic spinal cord injury in rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:431580.
- Zhang Q, Yang H, An J, Zhang R, Chen B, Hao DJ. Therapeutic Effects of Traditional Chinese Medicine on Spinal Cord Injury: A Promising Supplementary Treatment in Future. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:8958721.
- Nishijima S, Sugaya K, Miyazato M, Ogawa Y. Effect of Gosha-jinki-gan, a blended herbal medicine, on bladder activity in rats. J Urol. 2007 Feb;177(2):762-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2006.09.077
- Gotoh A, Goto K, Sengoku A, Shirakawa T, Akao Y, Fujisawa M, et al. Inhibition mechanism of Gosha-jinki-gan on the micturition reflex in rats. J Pharmacol Sci. 2004 Oct;96(2):115-23. https://doi.org/10.1254/jphs.FPJ03098X
- Wang H, Tanaka Y, Kawauchi A, Miki T, Kayama Y, Koyama Y. Acupuncture of the sacral vertebrae suppresses bladder activity and bladder activity-related neurons in the brainstem micturition center. Neurosci Res. 2012 Jan;72(1):43-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neures.2011.09.007
- Hino K, Honjo H, Nakao M, Kitakoji H. The effects of sacral acupuncture on acetic acid-induced bladder irritation in conscious rats. Urology. 2010 Mar;75(3):730-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2009.04.025
- Hwang DS, Kim SK, Bae H. Therapeutic Effects of Bee Venom on Immunological and Neurological Diseases. Toxins (Basel). 2015 Jun 29;7(7):2413-21. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins7072413
- Stephan K, Huber S, Haberle S, Kanz KG, Buhren V, van Griensven M, et al. Spinal cord injury--incidence, prognosis, and outcome: an analysis of the Trauma-Register DGU. Spine J. 2015 Sep 1;15(9):1994-2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2015.04.041