- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Rehabilitation for Total Hip Replacement in Korean Medicine: A Report of Three Cases
고관절 전치환술 후 한방 재활치료에 대한 증례 보고
- Ha, Won-Bae (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Won-Kwang University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Ha (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Won-Kwang University) ;
- Ko, Youn-Seok (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Woo-Suk University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Han (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Won-Kwang University)
- 하원배 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 이종하 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 고연석 (우석대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 이정한 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실)
- Received : 2016.06.20
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.07.31
The objective of this study was to propose a rehabilitation protocol for total hip replacement in Korean medicine and to report its effectiveness. Three patients who had undergone total hip replacement were treated using the rehabilitation protocol in Korean medicine. We evaluated the outcome evaluating physical examination findings of the hip joint, numeric rating scale, pain disability index, Harris hip score, and walking state. After the treatment, we observed that hip movement and muscular strength improved. Moreover numeric rating scale, pain disability index, Harris hip score, and walking state of patients improved. A rehabilitation in Korean medicine can be effectively used for total hip replacement patients. The limitation of this study was the insufficient number of cases. Further studies are needed to design a rehabilitation protocol in Korean medicine.
Supported by : 원광대학교
- The Korean Hip Society. Textbook of The Hip. Seoul: Koonja Publishing Co.. 2014:533-51.
- National Health Insurance Service. Frequent surgical diseases top 20(2006, 2010, 2014). [cited 2014 Nov 26, 2016 Feb 11] Available from: URL: http://www.nhis.or.kr.
- Moon SB, Kim KJ. Review of Postoperative Rehabilitation and Exercise for Total Knee and Hip Arthroplasty Cases in Germany. The Korean Journal of Growth and Development. 2015;23(1):1-7.
- Korean Society of Chuna Manual medicine for Spine & Nerves. Chuna manual medicine. Seoul:Korean Society of Chuna Manual medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2011:3, 4.
- Kong KS. The effect of post-operative education on hip joint function and self-esteem about Total Hip Replacement patients. Department of Nursing, the Graduate School of Kyung Hee University. 2000.
- Park JH, Oh EY, Park SA, Shin YB, Kim YJ. A Case Report on a Patient of Bilateral Avascular Necrosis of Femur Head, Treated with Korean Medicine and Hip Joint Fascia Chuna Therapy. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014;9(1):115-24.
- Kim KW, Kim SS, Lee JS, Chung SH. A Clinical Case Study on Avascular Necrosis of Femur Head Complaining Lower Extremity Pain with Oriental Medical Treatment. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2010;5(1):137-43.
- Baek SH, Park MW, Eom KJ, Yang SH, Lee SY. A Case Report on a Patient of Early Developed Avascular Necrosis of Femur Head with lumbar HIVD(Herniated Intervertebral Disc), Treated by Conservative Oriental Medical Treatment Including Hip Joint MST(Motion Style Treatment). The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2013;8(2):141-9.
- Heo YK, Lee H, Moon IR, Park KB, Park HS, Seo WH, Kim YJ, Kim JK. A Case Report of Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2004;21(6):299-309.
- KIM HS, Lee CH, Jeon JY, Lim SJ, Bae YH, Kim HS, Song JH, Kim MH, Cho CY, Jung YH. A Case Report on a Patient with lumbar HIVD(Herniated Intervertebral Disc) and Femoroacetabular Impingement, Treated by Bee Venom Pharmacopuncture and Conservative Oriental Medical Treatment. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014;9(2):81-92.
- Ro HR, Park SH, Kim JW, Cho TY. A Case Report of Conservative Treatment of Femoral Neck Stress Fracture Developed in Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2011;6(2):79-85.
- Kim SJ, Lee HJ, Lee YE, Lee BH, Lee YK, Lim SC, Jung TY, Kim JS. A Case Report of Patient with Femoral Neck Fracture Treated Non-operative Korean Medical Treatments. The acupuncture. 2013;30(5):175-83. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2013056
- Lee CI, Kim SJ, Choi YJ, Lee BH, Lee HJ, Lim SC, Lee YK, Jung TY, Kim JS. Integrative Oriental Medical Treatments after Hip Fracture Surgery: Two Case Report. The Acupuncture. 2013;30(4):211-8. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2013039
- Han TR, Bang MS, Chung SG. Rehabilitation Medicine. 5th ed. Seoul:Koonja Publishing Co.. 2014:1201-3.
- Yang HM. Education Material Development for Older Adults with Hip Fracture Surgery and Family Caregivers. Adult Clinical Nursing, Graduate School of Nursing Yonsei University. 2013.
- Brotzman SB, Manske RC. Clinical orthopaedic rehabilitation An evidence-based approach. 3rd ed. The Korean Society of Sports Medicine. Seoul:Hanmi Medical Publishing Co.. 2012:374-9.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Seoul:Koonja Publishing Co.. 2015:364-71, 380-416.
- Adrian W, Mike C, Jacqueline F. Introduction to Western medical acupuncture. KIOM Acupuncture & Meridian Research Center. Seoul:ELSEVIER Korea. 2010:237-8.
- Peilin S, Management of postoperative pain with acupuncture. USA:Elsevier. 2007:13-4, 215-20.
- Bak JW, Sim BY, Kim DH. The effects of Danggwisusan on restoration ability in wound induced animal models. Kor. J. Herbology 2014;29(5):55-63.
- Jung H, Lee HJ, Kim B, Lee CH, Lee EJ, Heo DS, Oh MS. The Effects of Sibjeondaebotanggamibang on the Treating of Wound. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(3):51-69.
- Korean Society of Chuna Manual medicine for Spine & Nerves. Chuna manual medicine. 2nd ed. Seoul:Korean Society of Chuna Manual medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2015:266-302, 427-33.
- Magee DJ, Sueki D. Orthopedic physical assessment atlas and video : selected special tests and movements. Seoul:ELSEVIER Korea. 2012:136-8.
- Pollard CA. Preliminary validity study of the pain disability index. Percept Mot Skills. 1984;59(3):974. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1918.104.22.1684
- Harris WH. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969;51(4):737-55. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196951040-00012
- Kim SK, Hong JS, Park JH, Park JW, Kim JH. Mortality and functional recovery after bipolar hemiarthroplasty of femoral neck fractures in elderly patients. Hip and Pelvis. 2002;14(1):49-55.
- Park OJ, Jang HS. A longitudinal study on the recovery of daily living activity and the influencing factors on it postoperative elderly patients with femur fracture. Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science. 2003;8(1):151-61.
- Lin PC, Chang SY. Functional recovery among elderly people one year after hip fracture surgery. Journal of Nursing Research. 2004;10:1097-2001.
- Bertocci GE, Munin MC, Frost KL, Burdett R, Wassinger CA, Fitzgerald SG. Isokinetic Performance After Total Hip Replacement. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2004;83:1-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PHM.0000098047.26314.93
- Boonen S, Autier P, Barette M, Vanderschueren D, Lips P, Haentjens P. Functional outcome and quality of life following hip fracture in elderly women: A prospective controlled study. Osteoporosis International. 2004;15:87-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-003-1515-z
- The Korean Academy of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. Korean Oriental Rehabilitaion. 2nd ed. Seoul: Koonja Publishing Co.. 2008:197-202.
- Liu ZY. wai ek pi fu ke de bian zheng lun zhi. Seo won dang. 1987:35.
- Yun YG. Korean prescription and prescription commentary. Seoul:Uiseong dang. 2004:225, 679.
- Kirkelsola G. A total concept for exercise and active treatment of musculoskeletal disorder. The Journal of Korean Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Therapy. 2000;7(1):87-106.