- Volume 1 Issue 3
The present study dictates the behavior of shear wall under a seismic event in slender high rise buildings, and studies the effect of height, location and distribution of shear wall in slender high rise building with and without boundary elements induced by the effect of an earthquake. Shear walls are located at the sides of the building, to counter the earthquake forces. This study is carried out in a 12 storeys building using SAP2000 software. The obtained results disclose that the behavior of the structure is definitely affected by the height and location of shear walls in slender high rise building. The stresses are concentrated at the limit between the shear wall region and the upper non shear wall especially for shear walls without columns. Displacements are doubled between the shear wall region and the upper non shear wall especially for shear walls without columns.
shear walls;stress concentrations;SAP2000;general building capacity;stiffness;shear wall distribution/position;time history analysis;high rise building
- Hema, M. and Manivel, S. (2015), "Effect of vertical stiffness irregularity on multi-storey shear wall-framed structures using response spectrum analysis", Int. J. Innovative Res. Sci., Eng. Technol., 4(3), 1186-1198.
- Hou, J.F., Su, S.Q., Li, B.B. and Zou, Y.X. (2015), "Shear wall stability computation and analysis of reinforced concrete frame-shear wall structures", Appl. Mech. Mater., 724, 117-120. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.724.117
- Inel, M. and Ozmen, H.B. (2006), "Effects of plastic hinge properties in nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete buildings", Eng. Struct., 28(11), 1494-1502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.01.017
- Inel, M., Ozmen, H.B. and Akyol, E. (2013), "Observations on the building damages after 19 May 2011 Simav (Turkey) earthquake", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 11(1), 255-283. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-012-9414-3
- Krishna, M. (2014), "Optimum location of different shapes of shear walls in unsymmetrical high rise buildings", Int. J. Eng. Res. Technol., 3(9), 1099-1106.
- Li, M., Luu, H.C., Wu, C., Mo, Y.L. and Hsu, T.T. (2014), "Seismic performance of reinforced engineered cementitious composite shear walls", Earthq. Struct., 7(5), 691-704. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.691
- Lu, X., Xie, L., Guan, H., Huang, Y. and Lu, X. (2015), "A shear wall element for nonlinear seismic analysis of super-tall buildings using OpenSees", Finite Elements Anal. Des., 98, 14-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2015.01.006
- Lua, Y. and Huang, L. (2014), "Experimental study on cyclic behavior of reinforced concrete parallel redundancy walls", Struct. Eng. Mech., 52(6), 1177-1191. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.6.1177
- Misam Abidi and Mangulkar Madhuri N. (2012), "Review on shear wall for soft story high-rise buildings", Int. J. Eng. Adv. Technol., 1(6), 52-54.
- O zmen, H.B., Inel, M. and Bayram Tanik Cayci (2013), "Engineering implications of the RC building damages after 2011 Van Earthquakes", Earthq. Struct., 5(3), 297-319. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.3.297
- Simonini, S., Constantin, R.T., Rutenberg, A. and Beyer, K. (2012), "Pushover analysis of multi-storey cantilever wall systems", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (No. EPFL-CONF-181575).
- Soni, M. and Khan, D. (2015), "Shear walls for strengthening of multistory buildings with soft story", IJSRD-Int. J. Scientific Res. Develop., 3(7), 245-248.
- Sritharan, S., Beyer, K., Henry, R.S., Chai, Y.H., Kowalsky, M. and Bull, D. (2014), "Understanding poor seismic performance of concrete walls and design implications", Earthq. Spectra, 30(1), 307-334. https://doi.org/10.1193/021713EQS036M
- Sud, A., Shekhawat, R.S. and Dhiman, P. (2014), "Effect of different shear wall configurations on seismic response of a moment-resisting frame", Eur. Scientific J., 139-145.
- Barros, R.C. and Khatami, S.M. (2012), "Seismic response effect of shear walls in reducing pounding risk of reinforced concrete buildings subjected to near-fault ground motions", 15 WCEE, LISBOA 2012.
- Borra, S., Nanduri, P.R. and Raju, S.N. (2015), "Design method of reinforced concrete shear wall using EBCS", Am. J. Eng. Res., 4(3), 31-43.
- Carrillo, J., Lizarazo, J.M. and Bonett, R. (2015), "Effect of lightweight and low-strength concrete on seismic performance of thin lightly-reinforced shear walls", Eng. Struct., 93, 61-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.03.022
- Chandiwala, A. (2012), "Earthquake analysis of building configuration with different position of shear wal", Int. J. Emerging Technol. Adv. Eng., 2(12), 347-535.
- Chandurkar, P.P. and Pajgade, D.P. (2013), "Seismic analysis of RCC building with and without shear wall", Int. J. Modern Eng. Res. (IJMER), 3(3), 1805-1810.
- Chaouch, A.A., Boutemeur, R., Bechtoula, H. and Bali, A. (2015), "Numerical study on shear stress variation of RC wall with L shaped section", Periodica Polytechnica, Civ. Eng., 59(1), 15-25. https://doi.org/10.3311/PPci.7575
- Chittiprolu, R. and Ramancharla Pradeep Kumar (2014), "Significance of Shear Wall in High-rise Irregular Buildings", Int. J. Edu. Appl. Res., 4(2), 35-37.
- Dashti, F., Dhakal, R.P. and Pampanin, S. (2014), "Comparative in-plane pushover response of a typical RC rectangular wall designed by different standards", Earthq. Struct., 7(5), 667-689. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.667
- Esmaili, O., Epackachi, S., Samadzad, M. and Mirghaderi, S.R. (2008), "Study of structural RC shear wall system in a 56-story RC tall building", The 14th world conference earthquake engineering, Beijing, China.
- Thorat, S.R. and Salunke, P.J. (2014), "Seismic behaviour of multistorey shear wall frame versus braced concrete frames", Int. J. Adv. Mech. Eng., 4(3), 323-330.