- Volume 1 Issue 3
Based on the variation of strain along the cross section, any region in a structural member can be classified into two regions namely, Bernoulli's region (B-region) and Disturbed region (D-region). Since the variation of strain along the cross section for a B-region is linear, well-developed theories are available for their analysis and design. On the other hand, the design of D-region is carried out based on thumb rules and past experience due to the presence of nonlinear strain distribution. Strut-and-Tie method is a novel approach that can be used for the analysis and design of both B-region as well as D-region with equal importance. The strut efficiency factor (
strut;efficiency factor;strut-and-tie;STM;fibre reinforced concrete;SFRC;ANSYS;nonlinear analysis of concrete;nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete
- ANSYS, Inc., ANSYS Help, Release 12.1, Documentation, Copyright 2006.
- ACI 318-14 (2014), Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary, American Concrete Institute, USA.
- Andermatt, M.F. and Lubell, A.S. (2013b), "Strength modeling of concrete deep beams reinforced with internal fiber-reinforced polymer", ACI Struct. J., 110(4), 595-605.
- Bahen, N. and Sanders, D.H. (2009), "Investigation of strut strength using a deep-beam database", ACI Struct. J., SP-265(18), 385-404.
- Birrcher, D.B., Tuchscherer, R.G., Huizinga, M. and Bayrak, O. (2013), "Minimum web reinforcement in deep beams", ACI Struct. J., 110(2), 297-306.
- Brown, Michael, D., Sankovich, Cameron, L., Bayrak, Oguzhan and Jirsa, James, O. (2006), "Behavior and efficiency of bottle-shaped struts", ACI Struct. J., 103(3), 348-355.
- Chetchotisak, P., Teerawong, J. and Chetchotsak, D. (2014), "Efficiency factors for reinforced concrete deep beams: part 1-improved models", Adv. Mater. Res., 931-932, 506-513. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.931-932.506
- Chetchotisak, P., Teerawong, J. and Chetchotsak, D. (2014), "Efficiency factors for reinforced concrete deep beams: part2-code calibration", Adv. Mater. Res., 931-932, 514-519. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.931-932.514
- Chetchotisak, P., Teerawong, J. and Yindeesuk, S. (2014), "New strut-and-tie-models for shear strength prediction and design of RC deep beams", Comput. Concrete, 14(1), 19-14. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.14.1.019
- Choi, H.B., Yi, C.K., Cho, H.H. and Kang, K.I. (2010), "Experimental study on the shear strength of recycled aggregate concrete beams", Magaz. Concrete Res., 62(2), 103-114. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2008.62.2.103
- Dupont, D. and Vandewalle, L. (2003), "Shear capacity of concrete beams containing longitudinal reinforcement and steel fibers", Am. Concrete Inst. Spec. Pub., 216, 79-94.
- Hong, S. and Ha, T. (2012), "Effective capacity of diagonal strut for shear strength of reinforced concrete beams without shear reinforcement", ACI Struct. J., 109(2), 139-148.
- Hussein, Hayder, H. and Kamonna (2010), "Non-linear analysis of steel fibre reinforced concrete deep beams by ansys", Kufa J. Eng., 2(1), 110-124.
- Kim, D., Lee, J. and Lee, Y-H. (2014), "Effectiveness factor of strut-and-tie models for concrete deep beams reinforced with FRP rebars", Compos. Eng.: Part B, 56, 117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.08.009
- Khan, M.A. and Ahmed, F.S. (2013), "Effect of web reinforcement on ultimate strength of reinforced concrete deep beam", Int. J. Eng. Res. Appl., 3(3), 516-519.
- Lihua, X.U., Yin, C.H.I., Jie, S.U. and Dongtao, X.I.A. (2008), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of steel fibre reinforced concrete deep beams", Wuhan Univ. J. Nat. Sci., 13(2), 201-206. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11859-008-0214-1
- Lu, W.Y., Hsiao, H.Tai., Chen, C.L., Huang, S.M. and Lin, M.C. (2015), "Tests of reinforced concrete deep beams", Comput. Concrete, 15(3), 357-372. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.15.3.357
- Mansur, M.A. and Ong, K.C.G. (1991), "Behavior of reinforced fibre concrete deep beams in shear", ACI Struct. J., 88(1), 98-105.
- Narayanan, R. and Darwish, I.Y.S. (1988), "Fibre concrete deep beams in shear", ACI Struct. J., 85(2), 141-149.
- Nagarajan, P. and Pillai, T.M.M. (2008), "Analysis and design of simply supported deep beams using strut and tie method", Adv. Struct. Eng., 11(5), 491-499. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943308786412050
- Nagarajan, P. and Pillai, T.M.M. (2008), "Development of strut and tie models for simply supported deep beams using topology optimisation", Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol., 30(5), 641-647.
- Nagarajan, P. and Pillai, T.M.M. (2010), "Development of strut and tie models for continuous deep beams using topology optimisation", J. Struct. Eng., 37(4), 81-85.
- Nehdi, N., Omeman, Z. and EI-Chabib, H. (2008), "Optimal efficiency factor in strut-and-tie model for FRP-reinforced concrete short beams with (1.5https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-008-9359-9
- Quntero-Febres, C.G., Parra-Montesinos, G. and Wight, J.K. (2006) "Strength of struts in deep concrete members designed using strut-and-tie method", ACI Struct. J., 103(4), 577-586.
- Sahoo, D.K., Singh, B. and Bhargava, P. (2009), "An appraisal of the ACI strut efficiency factors", Magaz. Concrete Res., 61(6), 445-456. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2008.00112
- Sahoo, D.K., Singh, B. and Bhargava, P. (2010), "Strut efficiency factors for structural concrete made from coarse recycled concrete aggregates", J. Struct. Eng., 37(1), 49-54.
- Sahoo, D.K., Singh, B. and Pradeep Bhargava (2011), "Minimum reinforcement for preventing splitting failure in bottle-shaped struts", ACI Struct. J., 108(2), 206-216.
- Sahoo, D.K., Flores, C.A. and Chao, Shih-Ho (2012), "Behavior of steel fibre-reinforced concrete deep beams with large opening", ACI Struct. J., 109(2), 193-204.
- Schlaich, J., Schafer, K. and Jennewein, K. (1987), "Towards a consistent design of structural concrete", J. Prestress. Concrete Inst., 32(3), 75-150.
- Sclaich, J. and Schafer, K. (1991), "Design and detailing of structural concrete using strut-and-tie models", Struct. Eng., 69(6), 113-125.
- Tuchscherer, R., Birrcher, D., Huizinga, M. and Bayrak, O. (2011), "Distribution of stirrups across web of deep beams", ACI Struct. J., 108(1), 108-115.
- Wolanski, A.J. (2004), "Flexural behaviour of reinforced and prestressed concrete beams using finite element analysis", Master's Dissertation, Marquette University, Milwaukee.