- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Physical and Mechanical Properties of Local Styrax Woods from North Tapanuli in Indonesia
Iswanto, Apri Heri;Susilowati, Arida;Azhar, Irawati;Riswan, Riswan;Supriyanto, Supriyanto;Tarigan, Joel Elpinta;Fatriasari, Widya
- Received : 2016.05.13
- Accepted : 2016.06.22
- Published : 2016.07.25
The objective of this research was to evaluate physical and mechanical properties of three species of Styrax woods from North Tapanuli in Indonesia. The woods were more than 15 years old. Physical properties such as specific gravity, green moisture content, and volume shrinkage were determined by the procedures based on BS-373 standard for small clear specimen. Furthermore, mechanical properties, including modulus of rupture, modulus of elasticity, compression parallel to grain and hardness were also tested according to the standard. Along the stem direction, the edge section had better properties compared with those near the pith section. And the base section had also better properties than upper section. Based on the specific gravity, all of the Styrax woods in this research were classified into III-IV strength classes. A good dimensional stability was demonstrated by the value of the tangential and radial ratio which reached one. With the consideration of the mechanical properties, Styrax woods were suitable use for raw materials of light construction, furniture and handy craft.
Styrax sumatrana;Styrax benzoin Dryan;Styrax benzoine var. Hiliferum;Styrax sp;physical-mechanical properties
- Bowyer, J.L., Shmulsky., Haygreen, J.G. 2003. Forest Products and Wood Science-An Introduction. Fourth edition. Iowa (US): Iowa State University Pr.
- British Standard. 1957. Methods of Testing Small Clear Specimens of Timbers BS 373. Inggris.
- Brown, H.P., Panshin, A.J., Forsaith, C.C. 1952. Text Book of Wood Technology Vol. II. New york: McGraw-Hill Book Company Inc.
- Foerst Product Laboratory. 1999. Wood Hand Book: Wood as an Engineering Material. Agric Handbook 72. Washington DC. US department.
- Glass, S., Zelinka, S.L. 2010. Moisture Relations and Physical Properties of Wood. In: Ross R, editor. Wood Handbook. Centennial Edition. FPL-GTR-190. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory.
- Getahun, Z., Poddar, P., Sahu, O. 2014. The Influence of Physical and Mechanical Properties on Quality of Wood Produced From Pinus Patula Tree Grown at Arsi Forest. Advanced Research Journal of Plant and Animal Sciences 2(4): 32-41.
- Haygreen, J.G., Bowyer, J.L. 1996. Forest Products and Wood Science (An introduction). 3rd ed.-Ames: Iowa State University Press, pp. 490.
- Haygreen, J.G., Bowyer, J.L. 1989. Forest Products and Wood Science, Iowa State University Press, USA.
- Huang, C.L., Lindstrom, H., Nakada, R., Ralston, J. 2003. Cell wall structure and wood properties determined by acoustics-a selective review. Holz als Roh-und Werkstoff, 61: 321-335. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00107-003-0398-1
- Ishengoma, R.C., Gillah, P.R., Ngunyali, H.R. 1997. Basic density and its variation in Brachylaena huillensis species found in Tanzania. Common Wealth Forestry Review 76 (4): 280-282.
- Josue, J. 2004. Some wood properties of Xylia xylocarpa planted in Sabah. Sepilok Bulletin 1: 1-15.
- Larson, P.R. 1969. Wood formation and the concept of wood quality. Yale University: School of Forestry Bulletin 74: 2-25.
- Lima, I.L., Longui, E.L., Freitas, M.L.M., Zanatto, A.C.S., Zanata, M., Florsheim, S.M.B., Bortoletto Jr, G. 2014. Physical-Mechanical and Anatomical Characterization in 26-Year-Old Eucalyptus resinifera Wood. Floresta e Ambiente 21(1): 91-98. https://doi.org/10.4322/floram.2014.006
- Yakub, M., Ali, M.O., Bhattacharjee, D.K. 1978. Strength properties of Chittagong Teak (Tectona grandis) representing different age groups. Bulletin 4, Timber Physics Series, Bangladesh Forest Research Institute, Chittagong, pp. 12.
- Panshin, AJ., de Zeeuw, C. 1980. Text Book of Wood Technology. Structure, Identification, Properties and Uses of The Commercial Woods of The United States and Canada. New york: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc.
- Pasaribu, G., Jasni., Damayanti, R., Wibowo, S. 2013. Anatomical, Physical and Mechanical Properties of Kemenyan Toba (Styrax sumatrana) and Kemenyan Bulu (Styrax paralleloneurus). Jurnal Penelitian Hasil Hutan 31(2): 161-169. https://doi.org/10.20886/jphh.2013.31.2.161-169
- Shanavas, A., Kumar, B.M. 2006. Physical and mechanical properties of three agroforestry tree species from Kerala, India. Journal of Tropical Agriculture 44 (1-2): 23-30.
- Schneider, M.H., Sebastian, L.P., Seepersad, J. 1991. Bending strength and stiffness of Caribbean pine from Trindad and Tobago. Wood and Fiber Science 23(4): 468-471.
- Skaar, C. 1972. Water in Wood, Syracuse University Press, USA.
- Tsoumis, G.T. 1991. Science and technology of wood: structure, properties, utilization. Van Nostrand Reinhold. New York.
- Walker, J.C.F. 1993. Primary wood processing principles and practice. Chapman & Hall, London.
- Zobel, B.J., Buijtenen, J.P. 1989. Wood variation-its causes and control. Springer Ser., Berlin.
Supported by : SEAMEO-BIOTROP