- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Formaldehyde Emission of Wood-Based Composite Panels with Different Surface Lamination Materials Using Desiccator Method
- Park, Byung-Dae ;
- Kang, Eun Chang ;
- Lee, Sang-Min ;
- Park, Jong Young
- Received : 2016.06.02
- Accepted : 2016.07.18
- Published : 2016.07.25
Wood-based composite panels such as plywood, particleboard (PB), or medium density fiberboard (MDF) are mostly used in the lamination on their surface for the manufacturing of furniture, or interior building products, the concern on the formaldehyde emission (FE) from the surface laminated wood panels is increasingly attracting attentions from the public. Thus, this study was conducted to understand influence of surface laminating materials to the FE from PB and MDF with or without edge sealing, using 24-hour desiccator method. Both PB samples that had been laminated on their surface with low-pressure laminate (LPL) or polypropylene (PP) film and MDF that had been treated with poly(vinyl chloride) (PVC) or coating were tested for the FE with or without edge sealing. As expected, the FE of PB with the sealed edges decreased to 37.4% and 80.7% with the LPL and PP lamination, respectively. The surface laminated MDF with the sealed edges also showed a decrease in the emission up to 57.8% and 54.3%, with the PVC lamination and coating, respectively. However, the coated MDF samples showed 5.3% increase in the emission when their edges were not sealed, indicating a FE form the solvent used for coating. These results showed that the type of surface lamination materials on wood-based composite panels has a great impact on their resultant FE, indicating that the influence of surface laminating materials should be taken into consideration for the formaldehyde mission measurement.
formaldehyde emission;wood-based composites;surface lamination;edge sealing
- Baumann M.G.D., Lorenz, L.L., Batterman, S.A., Zhang, G.-Z. 2000. Aldehyde emissions from particleboard and medium density fiberboard products. Forest Products Journal 50(9): 75-82.
- Diemel, M. 1987. In: Organishe Verunreinigungen in der Umwelt. Aurand, K., Ed., E. Schmidt. Hamburg, pp. 416-427.
- Dunky, M. 1998. Urea-formaldehyde adhesive resins for wood. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 18: 95-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-7496(97)00054-7
- Korea Standard KS F 3104, Particleboards, 2006. Korean Standards Association, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Korea Standard KS F 3200, Fiberboards, 2006. Korean Standards Association, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Marutzky, R., Margosian, R. 1995. Measuring formaldehyde emissions from pressed wood products: An international perspective. In: Measuring and Controlling Volatile Organic Compound and Particulate Emissions from Wood Processing Operations and Wood-Based Products. The Forest Products Society, Madison, WI, pp. 62-73.
- Marutzky, R. 1989. Release of formaldehyde by wood products. In: Wood Adhesives: Chemistry and Technology, Vol. 2, A. Pizzi, Ed., Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, pp. 307-387.
- Meyer, B., Hermanns, K. 1985. Formaldehyde release from pressed wood products. In: Formaldehyde: Analytical Chemistry and Toxicology. V. Turoski, Ed., Advances in Chemistry Series 210, American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., pp. 101-116.
- Myers, G.E. 1985. The effects of temperature and humidity on formaldehyde emission from UF-bonded boards: a literature critique. Forest Products Journal 35(9): 20-31.
- Myers, G.E., Koutsky, K.A. 1987. Procedure for measuring formaldehyde liberation from formaldehyde-based resins. Forest Products Journal 37: 56-60.
- Myers, G.E. 1983. In: Formaldehyde Release from Wood Products, B. Meyer. B. A. K. Andrews, R. M. Reinhardt. Ed., American Chemical Society, pp. 8-14.
- Myers, G.E. 1984. How mole ratio of UF resin affects formaldehyde emission and other properties: A literature critique. Forest Products Journal 34(5): 35-41.
- Park, B.D., Kang, E.C., Park, J.Y. 2006. Effects of Formaldehyde to Urea Mole Ratio on Thermal Curing Behavior of Urea-Formaldehyde Resin and Properties of Particleboard, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 101(3): 1787-1792. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.23538
- Park, B.D. 2007. Properties of urea-formaldehyde resin adhesives with different formaldehyde to urea mole ratios, Journal of Korean Wood Science and Technology 35(5): 68-76.
- Pizzi, A., Lipschitz, L., Valenzuela, J. 1994. Theory and practice of the preparation of low formaldehyde emission UF adhesives. Holzforschung 48: 254. https://doi.org/10.1515/hfsg.19126.96.36.199
- Research Progress on Formaldehyde Emission of Wood-Based Panel vol.2018, pp.1687-9430, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9349721
Supported by : Kyungpook National University