- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Research on High-Efficiency Power Conversion Structure for Railroad Auxiliary Power Supply(APS) System
철도차량 보조전원장치의 효율향상을 위한 새로운 전력변환회로 구조 연구
Cho, In-Ho;Jung, Shin-Myung;Lee, Byoung-Hee
- Received : 2016.04.20
- Accepted : 2016.05.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
This paper introduces auxiliary power supply systems (APS) for railroad applications and proposes a new power conversion structure for highly-efficient and lightweight APS systems. The proposed structure focuses on an improvement of the power density in APS. It eliminates unnecessary power conversion stages in the conventional APS structure by modulating the dc/dc converter circuit and the structure of the system. The dc/dc converter circuit used in the proposed structure is based on a multi-level half-bridge converter, a widely used topology in railroad APS applications; a flying capacitor is newly added to the conventional circuit. The added capacitor is used not only to enhance the soft switching condition of the switches, but also so that the new pantograph will have a side voltage source of a battery charger in the APS structure. Since the battery charger uses the pantograph side voltage source in the proposed structure, rather than using the output of the main dc/dc converter in the conventional structure, the size and efficiency of the main dc/dc converter are reduced and increased, respectively. To verify the effectiveness of the proposed structure, simulation results will be presented with metropolitan transit APS specifications.
Auxiliary power system(APS);Railroad;Multi-level converter;Flying capacitor
- J.M. Jo, Y.J. Han, H.S. Jeong, C.Y. Lee, et al. (2012) Development of Ultra Light Auxiliary Power Supply for DC train, Proceedings of The KIEE, 2012(4), pp. 177-178.
- http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/knorr-bremse-powertech-gmbh/pcs-rail-au-1000-long-distance-train-solutions/81829-240343.html (Accessed 14 June 2016)
- Bobert L. Steigerwald (1988) A Comparison of Half-Bridge Resonant Converter Topologies, IEEE Transaction on Power electronics, 3(2), pp. 174-182. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.4347
- V. Volperian, S. Cuk (1985) A complete dc analysis of the series resonant converter, Proceedings of the IEEE Power electronics Specialists Conference, Cambridge, MA, pp. 85-100.
- K. Jin, X. Ruan (2006) Hybrid Full-Bridge Three-Level LLC Resonant Converter-A Novel DC-DC Converter Suitable for Fuel-Cell Power System, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, 53(5), pp.1492-1503. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.882020
- X. Ruan, and B. Li (2005) Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current-Switching PWM Hybrid Full-Bridge Three-Level Converter, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, 52(1), pp.213-220. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.837911
- J.S. Lai, F.Z. Peng (1996) Multilevel Converters-A New Breed of Power Converters, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 32(3), pp.509-517. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.502161
- S.H. Kwon, K.H. Jin, S.J. Kim, T.H. Lee, et al. (2012) IPMSM Drives Using NPC 3-Level Inverters for the Next Generation High Speed Railway System, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 15(2), pp.129-134. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2012.15.2.129
- J.A. Sabate, V. Vlatkovic, R.B. Ridley, F.C. Lee (1991) High-voltage, high-power, ZVS, full-bridge PWM converter employing an active snubber, Proceedings of the 6th Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, Dallas, TX, pp. 158-163.
- W. Chen, F.C. Lee, M. M. Jovanovic, J.A. Sabate (1995) A comparative study of a class of full bridge zero-voltage- switched PWM converters, Proceedings of the 10th Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, Dallas, TX, pp. 893-899.
- R. Redl, N.O. Sokal, L. Balogh (1991) A novel soft-switching full-bridge DC/DC converter: Analysis,design considerations, and experimental results at 1.5 kW, 100 kHz, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 6(3), pp. 408-418. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.85909
- K.M. Cho, Y.D. Kim, I.H. Cho, G.W. Moon (2012) Transformer Integrated with Additional Resonant Inductor for Phase-Shift Full-Bridge Converter with Primary Clamping Diodes, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 27(5), pp. 2405-2414. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2106514
- I.H. Cho, K.M. Cho, J.W. Kim, G.W. Moon (2011) A New Phase-Shifted Full-Bridge Converter With Maximum Duty Operation for Server Power System, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 26(12), pp. 3491-3500. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2129532
- F. Canales (2003) Novel DC/DC Converters For High-Power Distributed Power Systems, PhD Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원