- Volume 19 Issue 3
This study identifies influence factors for Korean railway export and analyzes the importance and competitiveness of the factors. This study also suggests policy directions for each factor and analyzes the current situation of the Korean railway industry. All influence factors identified in this study turned out to have high levels of importance. Influence factors with higher importance levels for each field are as follows: man-power/experience and skill/technology in the engineering field; price, information and man-power/experience in the construction field; and information, technology, and price in the manufacturing field. However, the level of competitiveness of the factors turned out to be low. This study also suggested policy directions for each influence factor: overall, they turned out to have high levels of importance. Policy directions with high importance for each field are as follows: strengthening overseas' human network, training/educating experts for overseas projects, and accumulating experiences through Official Development Assistance projects in the fields of engineering and construction; and cost reduction and strategical cooperation with foreign companies in the manufacturing field. However, interviewees' satisfaction levels for each policy area turned out to be low. Finally, policy measures for Korean railway export for each influence factor were suggested.
Railway;Export;Influence factor;Policy directions;Competitiveness
- SCI/Verkehr (2009) The Worldwide Market for Railway Technology 2009-2014.
- Y. Lim (2010) New growth engine: Infrastructure market in developing countries, Samsung Economic Research Institute, 747, p. 4.
- http://icak.or.kr (Accessed 25 January 2016)
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2010) Study for establishment of the 2nd railway industry development master plan.
- J. Mun, D. Kim (2011) Trends and its implications of international railway market, The Korea Transport Institute.
- S. Han (2009) Survey of overseas construction demand on high value added sectors and establishment of business models, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.
- H.P. Park, E.Y. Shin, G.S. Lee (2008) Improvement plan going into other countries of domestic construction companies, Korea Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 9(6), pp. 225-234.
- S. Kang (2008) Strategy and policy measures for railway export, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.
- E. Lee (2008) Policy measures for promotion of cooperation between private and public sectors for overseas infrastructure development projects (investment development type), Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.
- H. Jang (2014) Strategy and policy measures for increasing overseas contracts in construction engineering field, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.
- Korea Railroad Research Institute (2008) Survey report for 2008 railway technology level.
- http://www.korea.kr (Accessed 25 January 2016)
- https://www.koreaexim.go.kr (Accessed 25 January 2016)
- Office for Government Policy Coordination (2015) Publication on the 2nd ODA master plan.
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (2016) JICA Annual report 2015.
- Economic Development Cooperation Fund (2015) EDCF Annual report 2014.
- S.-H. Choi (2013) A market taxonomy approach for the export of Korean railway systems, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 16(5), pp. 439-446. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.5.439
- Investigating Railway Market Trends based on the Characteristics of International Railway Business Orders vol.19, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2016.19.6.785
Supported by : 한국교통연구원