- Volume 1 Issue 3
The formation of silicon-on-nothing (SON) structure during an annealing process from the silicon substrate including the trench structures has been considered as an effective technique to construct the structure that has an empty space under the closed flat surface. Previous studies have demonstrated the mechanism of the formation of SON structure, which is based on the surface diffusion driven by the minimization of their surface energy. Also, it has been fragmentarily shown that the morphology of SON structure can be affected by the initial design of trench (e.g., size, number) and the annealing conditions (e.g., temperature, pressure). Based on the previous studies, here, we report a comprehensive study for the design of the cavity-embedded structure (i.e., SON structure). To do this, a dynamic model has been developed with the phase field approach. The simulation results represent that the morphology of SON structures could be detailedly designed, for example the position and thickness of cavity, the thickness of top and bottom layer, according to the design parameters. This study will give us an advantage in the effective design of SON structures.
SON structure;morphological design;phase field model;multi-physics analysis
- Ascher, U.M., Ruuth, S.J. and Wetton, B.T. (1995), "Implicit-explicit methods for time-dependent partial differential equations", SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 32(3), 797-823. https://doi.org/10.1137/0732037
- Cahn, J.W. and Hilliard, J.E. (1958), "Free energy of a nonuniform system. I. Interfacial free energy", J. Chem. Phys., 28(2), 258-267. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1744102
- Han, H.S., Song, J., Hong, J., Kim, D. and Kang, T. (2014), "Immiscible oil-water interface: dual function of electrokinetic concentration of charged molecules and optical detection with interfacially trapped gold nanorods", Anal. Chem., 86(12), 6160-6165. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac501378x
- Homma, Y., Aizawa, N., and Ogino, T. (1996), "Ultra-Large-Scale Step-Free Terraces Formed at the Bottom of Craters on Vicinal Si(111) Surfaces", Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 35(2B), L241-L243. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.35.L241
- Kuribayashi, H., Hiruta, R., Shimizu, R., Sudoh, K. and Iwasaki, H. (2003), "Shape transformation of silicon trenches during hydrogen annealing", J. Vacuum Sci. Tech. A, 21(4), 1279-1283. https://doi.org/10.1116/1.1586278
- Kuribayashi, H., Hiruta, R., Shimizu, R., Sudoh, K. and Iwasaki, H. (2004), "Investigation of shape transformation of silicon trenches during hydrogen annealing", Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 43(4A), L468. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.43.L468
- Lee, M.C.M. and Wu, M.C. (2006), "Thermal annealing in hydrogen for 3-D profile transformation on silicon-on-insulator and sidewall roughness reduction", J. Microelectromech. Syst., 15(2).
- Martin, P.A. (2009), "Thermal grooving by surface diffusion: Mullins revisited and extended to multiple grooves", Q. Appl. Math., 67(1), 125-136. https://doi.org/10.1090/S0033-569X-09-01086-4
- Mizushima, I., Sato, T., Taniguchi, S. and Tsunashima, Y. (2000), "Empty-space-in-silicon technique for fabricating a silicon-on-nothing structure", Appl. Phys. Lett., 77(20), 3290-3292. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1324987
- Mullins, W.W. (1957), "Theory of thermal grooving", J. Appl. Phys., 28(3), 333-339. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1722742
- Ogura, A. (2003), "Formation of patterned buried insulating layer in Si substrates by He+ implantation and annealing in oxidation atmosphere", Appl. Phys. Lett., 82.
- Sato, T., Mitsutake, K., Mizushima, I., & Tsunashima, Y. (2000). Micro-structure transformation of silicon: a newly developed transformation technology for patterning silicon surfaces using the surface migration of silicon atoms by hydrogen annealing. Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 39(9R), 5033. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.39.5033
- Sato, T., Mizushima, I., Taniguchi, S., Takenaka, K., Shimonishi, S., Hayashi, H., Hatano, M., Sugihara, K., and Tsunashima, Y. (2004), "Fabrication of silicon-on-nothing structure by substrate engineering using the empty-space-in-silicon formation technique", Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 43(1), 12-18. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.43.12
- Song, J. and Kim, D. (2010), "Three-dimensional chemotaxis model for a crawling neutrophil", Phys. Rev. E, 82(5), 051902. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.82.051902
- Song, J. and Kim, D. (2013), "Computational kinetic study of chemotactic cell migration", J. Appl. Phys., 114(15).
- Sudoh, K., Iwasaki, H., Hiruta, R., Kuribayashi, H. and Shimizu, R. (2009), "Void shape evolution and formation of silicon-on-nothing structures during hydrogen annealing of hole arrays on Si (001)", J. Appl. Phys., 105(8), 083536. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3116545
- Sudoh, K., Iwasaki, H., Kuribayashi, H., Hiruta, R. and Shimizu, R. (2004), "Numerical study on shape transformation of silicon trenches by high-temperature hydrogen annealing", Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 43(9R), 5937. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.43.5937
- Tanaka, S., Umbach, C.C., Blakely, J.M., Tromp, R.M. and Mankos, M. (1996), "Fabrication of arrays of large step-free regions on Si (001)", Appl. Phys. Lett., 69(9), 1235-1237. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.117422
- Wijaranakula, W. (1990), "An experimental estimation of silicon interstitial diffusivity", J. Appl. Phys., 67(12), 7624-7627. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.345806
- Yang, M.S., Jeong, S., Kang, T. and Kim, D. (2015), "Equilibrium morphology of plasmonic Au/polystyrene dimeric nanoparticle", J. Phys. Chem. C, 119(11), 6148-6151.
- Zhang, L., Song, J. and Kim, D. (2011), "A study on the interfacial effect on cancer-cell invasion", J. Appl. Phys., 109(7), 074702. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3562183
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Ministry of Trade, industry & Energy (MI)