- Volume 59 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Economic performance of cable supported bridges
- Sun, Bin (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Zhang, Liwen (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Qin, Yidong (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Xiao, Rucheng (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2015.12.17
- Accepted : 2016.06.10
- Published : 2016.08.25
A new cable-supported bridge model consisting of suspension parts, self-anchored cable-stayed parts and earth-anchored cable-stayed parts is presented. The new bridge model can be used for suspension bridges, cable-stayed bridges, cable-stayed suspension bridges, and partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges by varying parameters. Based on the assumption that each structural member is in either an axial compressive or tensile state, and the stress in each member is equal to the allowable stress of the material, the material quantity for each component is calculated. By introducing the unit cost of each type of material, the estimation formula for the cost of the new bridge model is developed. Numerical examples show that the results from the estimation formula agree well with that from the real projects. The span limit of cable supported bridge depends on the span-to-height ratio and the density-to-strength ratio of cables. Finally, a parametric study is illustrated aiming at the relations between three key geometrical parameters and the cost of the bridge model. The optimization of the new bridge model indicates that the self-anchored cable-stayed part is always the dominant part with the consideration of either the lowest total cost or the lowest unit cost. It is advisable to combine all three mentioned structural parts in super long span cable supported bridges to achieve the most excellent economic performance.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Eamon, C.D., Jensen, E.A., Grace, N.F. and Shi, X. (2012), "Life-cycle cost analysis of alternative reinforcement materials for bridge superstructures considering cost and maintenance uncertainties", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 24(4), 373-380 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000398
- Gimsing, N.J. and Georgakis C.T. (2012), Cable Supported Bridge: Concept and Design, 3rd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK.
- Hassan, M.M., Damatty, E.A. and Nassef, A.O. (2014), "Database for the optimum design of semi-fan composite cable-stayed bridges based on genetic algorithms", Struct. Infrastr. Eng., 11(8), 1054-1068. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2014.931976
- Hassan, M.M., Nassef, A.O. and Damatty, E.A. (2013), "Optimal design of semi-fan cable-stayed bridges", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 40, 285-297. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2012-0032
- Lewis, W.J. (2012), "A mathematical model for assessment of material requirements for cable supported bridges: implications for conceptual design", Eng. Struct., 42(9), 266-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.04.018
- Lute, V., Upadhyay, A. and Singh, K.K. (2009), "Computationally efficient analysis of cable-stayed bridge for GA-based optimization", Eng. Appl. Artif. Intel., 22, 750-758. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2009.04.001
- Mara, V., Haghani, R., Sagemo, A., Storck, L. and Nilsson, D. (2013), "Comparative study of different bridge concepts based on life-cycle cost analyses and lifecycle assessment", Proceedings Of The 4th Asia-Pacific Conference On FRP In Structures, APFIS 2013, Melbourne, December
- Nagai, M., Fujino, Y., Yamaguchi, H. and Iwasaki, E. (2004), "Feasibility of a 1400 m Span Steel cable-stayed bridge", J. Bridge Eng., 9(5), 444-452. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(444)
- Safi, M., Sundquist, H., Karoumi, R. and Racutanu, G. (2012), "Integration of life-cycle cost analysis with bridge management systems", Tran. Res. Record, 2292, 125-133 https://doi.org/10.3141/2292-15
- Shao, X., Hu, J., Deng, L. and Cao, J. (2013), "Conceptual design of superspan partial ground-anchored cable-stayed bridge with crossing stay cables", J. Bridge Eng., 19(3), 06013001. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000534
- Structurae (2014), http://structurae.net/structures/hardanger-bridge (Dec. 1, 2014).
- Sun, B., Cheng, J. and Xiao, R.C. (2010), "Preliminary design and parametric study of a 1400 m partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge", Sci. China Ser. E: Technol. Sci., 53(2), 502-511.
- Tang, M.C. (2007), "Evolution of bridge technology", IABSE Symposium: Improving Infrastructure Worldwide, Weimar, Germany.
- Thoft-Christensen, Palle (2012), "Infrastructures and life-cycle cost-benefit analysis", Struct. Infrastr. Eng., 8(5), 507-516 https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2010.539070
- Virola, J. (2005), "Three long-span cable-Stayed bridges in China", http://koti.kontu.la/jvirola/koti/PDF/sut2-pt.pdf (Dec. 1, 2014).
- Virola, J. (2010), "The Gwangyang 1545 Bridge-great suspension bridge in South Korea", http://koti.kontu.la/jvirola/koti/Gwangyang/ria-gwangyang.pdf (Dec. 1, 2014).
- Wang, C.S., Zhai, M.S., Li, H.T., Ni, Y.Q. and Guo, T. (2015) "Life-cycle cost based maintenance and rehabilitation strategies for cable supported Bridges", Adv. Steel Constr., 11(3), 395-410
- Wang, X. and Wu, Z.S. (2010a), "Integrated high-performance thousand-metre scale cable-stayed bridge with hybrid FRP cables", Compos. Part B, 41(2), 166-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2009.09.001
- Wang, X. and Wu, Z.S. (2010b), "Evaluation of FRP and hybrid FRP cables for super long-span cable-stayed bridges", Compos. Struct., 92, 2582-2590. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2010.01.023
- Wikipedia (2014), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonecutters_Bridge (Dec. 1, 2014).
- Wiratman, W. (1997), "Advanced suspension bridge technology and the feasibility of the Sunda Strait Bridge", http://www.wiratman.co.id/ximages/sunda.pdf (Dec. 1, 2014).
- Xiong, W., Cai, C.S., Zhang, Y. and Xiao, R. (2011), "Study of super long span cable-stayed bridges with CFRP components", Eng. Struct., 33, 330-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.10.013
- Zhang, F.J., Nie, L.L. and Cao, H.Y. (2014), "Static deformational behaviors of cable-stayed suspension bridge and its simplified material cost model", Appl. Mech. Mater., 501-504, 1221-1227. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.501-504.1221
- Zhang, L., Xiao, R., Sun, B., Jiang, Y., Zhang, X., Zhuang, D., Zhou, Y. and Tu, X. (2013b), "Study on economic performances of multi-span suspension bridges part 2: Parametric study", Struct. Eng. Mech., 47(2), 287-305. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.47.2.287
- Zhang, R.X., Sun, B., Jiang, Y., Zhang, X., Zhuang, D., Zhou, Y. and Tu, X. (2013a), "Study on economic performances of multi-span suspension bridges part 1: Simple estimation formulas", Struct. Eng. Mech., 47(2), 265-286. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.47.2.265