- Volume 59 Issue 4
The present study investigated the earthquake behavior of R/C structures considering the vertical earthquake motion with the help of a comparative study. For this aim, the linear time-history analyses of a high-rise R/C structure designed according to TSC-2007 requirements were conducted including and excluding the vertical earthquake motion. Earthquake records used in the analyses were selected based on the ratio of vertical peak acceleration to horizontal peak acceleration (V/H). The frequency-domain analyses of the earthquake records were also performed to compare the dominant frequency of the records with that of the structure. Based on the results obtained from the time-history analyses under the earthquake loading with (H+V) and without the vertical earthquake motion (H), the value of the overturning moment and the top-story vertical displacement were found to relatively increase when considering the vertical earthquake motion. The base shear force was also affected by this motion; however, its increase was lower compared to the overturning moment and the top-story vertical displacement. The other two parameters, the top-story lateral displacement and the top-story rotation angle, barely changed under H and H+V loading cases. Modal damping ratios and their variations in horizontal and vertical directions were also estimated using response acceleration records. No significant change in the horizontal damping ratio was observed whereas the vertical modal damping ratio noticeably increased under H+V loading. The results obtained from this study indicate that the desired structural earthquake performance cannot be provided under H+V loading due to the excessive increase in the overturning moment, and that the vertical damping ratio should be estimated considering the vertical earthquake motion.
vertical earthquake motion;V/H ratio;modal damping;R/C structure;overturning moment;vertical displacement
- ASCE (2007), Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings, ASCE/SEI 41-06, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA.
- ASCE (2010), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, ASCE/SEI 7-10, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA.
- ASCE (2014), Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings, ASCE/SEI 41-13, American Society of Civil Engineer, Reston, VA.
- Bozorgnia, Y. and Campbell, K.W. (2004), "The vertical-to-horizontal response spectral ratio and tentative procedures for developing simplified v/h and vertical design spectra", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 175-207.
- Bozorgnia, Y., Mahin, S.A. and Brady, A.G. (1998), "Vertical response of twelve structures recorded during the northridge earthquake", Earthq. Spectra, 14(3), 411-432. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586008
- Collier, C.J. and Elnashai, A.S. (2001), "A horizontal seismic action effects", J. Earthq. Eng., 5(4), 521-539. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460109350404
- Dana, M., Cussen, A., Chen, Y.N., Davis C., Greer M., Houston J., Littler P. and Roufegarinejad, A. (2014), "Effects of the seismic vertical component on structural behavior-an analytical study of current code practices and potential areas of improvement", Tenth U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering: Frontiers of Earthquake Engineering, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Di Sarno, L., Elnashai, A.S. and Manfredi, G. (2011), "Assessment of RC columns subjected to horizontal and vertical ground motions recorded during the 2009 L'Aquila (Italy) earthquake", Eng. Struct., 33(5), 1514-1535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.01.023
- Ambraseys, N.N. and Douglas, J. (2003), "Effect of vertical ground motions on horizontal response of structures", Int. J. Struct. Stab. Dyn., 3(2), 227-265. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455403000902
- Ambraseys, N.N. and Simpson, K.A. (1996), "Prediction of vertical response spectra in europe", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25(4), 401-412. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199604)25:4<401::AID-EQE551>3.0.CO;2-B
- Elgamal, A. and He, L. (2004), "Vertical earthquake ground motion records: an overview", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(5), 663-697.
- Elnashai, A.S. and Di Sarno, L. (2008), Response of Structures, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
- Elnashai, A.S. and Papazoglou, A.J. (1997), "Procedure and spectra for analysis of rc structures subjected to strong vertical earthquake loads", J. Earthq. Eng., 1(1), 121-155.
- Eurocode-8 (1998), Design Provisions for Earthquake Resistance of Structures-Part 5: Foundations, Retaining Structures and Geotechnical Aspects, CEN European Committee for Standardisation, Brussel.
- Ghaffarzadeh, H. and Nazeri, A. (2015), "The effect of the vertical excitation on horizontal response of structures", Earthq. Struct., 9(3), 625-637. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.3.625
- IS:1893 (2000), Indian Standard Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures, New Delhi.
- Jeon, J.S., Shafieezadeh, A., Lee, D.H., Choi, E. and DesRoches, R. (2015), "Damage assessment of older highway bridges subjected to three-dimensional ground motions: Characterization of shear-axial force interaction on seismic fragilities", Eng. Struct., 87 47-57.
- Kadid, A., Yahiaoui, D. and Chebili, R. (2010), "Behaviour of reinforced concrete buildings under simultaneous horizontal and vertical ground motions.", Asian J. Civil Eng. (Build. Hous.), 11(4), 463-476.
- Kim, M.H. and Kim, S.J. (2013), "Characteristics of vertical ground motion and its effect on the response of 3-story RC building", J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitigat., 13(2), 23-29.
- Kim, S., Holub, C. and Elnashai, A. (2011), "Analytical assessment of the effect of vertical earthquake motion on RC bridge piers", J. Struct. Eng., 137(2), 252-260. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000306
- Kim, S.J. (2008), "Seismic assessment of RC structures considering vertical ground motion", University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois
- Kim, S.J. and Elnashai, A.S. (2008), Seismic Assessment of RC Structures Considering Vertical Ground Motion, Mid-America Earthquake (MAE) Center
- Kim, S.J., Holub, C.J. and Elnashai, A.S. (2011), "Experimental investigation of the behavior of RC bridge piers subjected to horizontal and vertical earthquake motion", Eng. Struct., 33(7), 2221-2235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.03.013
- Lee, H. and Mosalam, K.M. (2014), "Seismic evaluation of the shear behavior in reinforced concrete bridge columns including effect of vertical accelerations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 43(3), 317-337. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2346
- NBC105 (1994), Nepal National Building Code, Ministry of Physical Planning and Works Department of Urban Development and Building Construction, Babar Mahal, Kathmandu, NEPAL.
- NZS1170.5 (2004), Structural Design Actions Part 5: Earthquake Actions-New Zealand Standards.
- Papazoglou, A.J. and Elnashai, A.S. (1996), "Analytical and field evidence of the damaging effect of vertical earthquake ground motion", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25(10), 1109-1137. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199610)25:10<1109::AID-EQE604>3.0.CO;2-0
- PEER (2015), The Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center Ground Motion Database, Berkeley, CA.
- Piolatto, A.J. (2009), Structural Response Including Vertical Component of Ground Motion, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Reyes, J.C. and Kalkan, E. (2011), Required number of records for ASCE/SEI 7 ground-motion scaling procedure, U.S. Geological Survey, US.
- SAP2000 (2015), SAP 2000 (V17.2) Integrated Finite Element Analysis and Design of Structures, Computers and Structures Inc, Berkeley, CA.
- Shrestha, B. (2009). "Vertical ground motions and its effect on engineering structures: a state-of-the-art review", International Seminar on Hazard Management for Sustainable Development, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- TSC (2007), Specification for buildings to be built in earthquake zones, Ministry of Public Work and Settlement, Ankara, Turkey.
- UBC (1997), Uniform Building Code, US.
- Wang, T., Li, H. and Ge, Y. (2015), "Vertical seismic response analysis of straight girder bridges considering effects of support structures", Earthq. Struct., 8(6), 1481-1497. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.6.1481
- 1. The influence of vertical ground motion on the seismic behavior of RC frame with construction joints vol.11, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.12989/sem.2016.59.4.719