- Volume 12 Issue 1
The Systems Engineering (SE) approach is characterized by the application of a structured engineering methodology for the design of a complex system or component. In this study, the SE methodology is used to design a nondestructive inspection system for Bottom Mounted Instrumentation (BMI) nozzles. We developed a system that enables nondestructive inspection of BMI nozzles during regular refueling outage without removing the reactor internals. A special ultrasonic (UT) probe is introduced to scan and detect cracks within the weld region of the nozzle. A 3D model of the inspection structure system was developed along with the reactor pressure vessel (RPV) and internals which permits a virtual 3D simulation of the operation to check the design concept and effectiveness of the system and to provide a good visualization of the system. This approach allows for a virtual walk through to verify the proposed BMI nozzle inspection system.
Systems engineering;BMI;BMI weld inspection, RV internals;Inspection;Nondestructive Test
- Kossiakoff, A. and W.N. Sweet, "Systems Engineering: Principles and Practice," Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, pp. 69-109, (2011).
- U SNRC BULLETIN 2003-02, "Leakage from RPV lower head penetration and reactor coolant pressure boundary integrity," Aug. 21, 2003.
- St even Thomas, "PWSCC of Bottom Mount Instrument Nozzles at South Texas Project," ICONE12-49521, 12th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, Arlington, Veriginia, USA, April 25-29, 2004.
- A SME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, “Rules for In-service Inspection of Nuclear Power Plant Components,” Section XI, IWA-1400, pp.2, (2010).
- USA, Diakont Advanced Technologies, "MicroCam, specification sheet," 2015 http://www.diakont.com/
- S.W.Glass, B, Everett, et Al, "Advances in J-weld Inspection for RPV head and RPV Bottom Mount Nozzles,", 9th International Conference on NDE in Relation to Structural Integrity for Nuclear and Pressurized Components, May22, 2012-Seattle, Washington, USA, 2012.
- E. D oh, Y. Kim, J. Kim, and C. Song, "inspection of bottom mounted instrumentation nozzles in Korea," KEPCO Plant Service and Engineering Co. Ltd., Korea, p. 590.
- Min-Su Park, Sang-Hoon Choi, Eui-Soon Doh, Nag-Jeam Kim, Dong-Il Kim, and Yoon-Won Kim, "inspection apparatus for reactor bottom mounted instrumentation nozzle," Patent US 20080240331 A1, Oct. 2, 2008.
- K HNP, "APR1400 Standard Safety Analysis Report: Design of Structures, Components, Equipment, and Systems," chapter 3, Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power Co. Ltd., (2002).
- CATIA version 5-6. (2012). "User guide, training and tutorials, and help manual," CATIA, Dassault Systems, 2012.
- Mats Wendel and Torbjorn Sjo, DEKRA Industrial, Sweden, "development of new manipulators for PWR and VVER vessel inspection," http://www.ndt.net/article/jrcnde2012/papers/89.pdf. pp. 538-539, 2011.
- Eddyfi, "tubing inspection probe catalog," March 2015, www.eddyfi.com
- WESDYNE web site, "A Westinghouse NDE Company,'' 2015, www.wesdyne.com.
- C hristine King, "Materials Reliability Program: South Texas Project Unit 1 Bottom Mounted Instrumentation Nozzles (#1and #46) Analysis Reports and Related Documentation (MRP-102)," 1009309, November 2003.
- K HNP, "APR1400 Standard Safety Analysis Report: Reactor coolant system and connected systems'' chapter 5, Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power Co. Ltd., (2002).
- Baik Jun Ki, Yang Jin Seok, and R. M. Field (2014), "PWSCC Mitigation for life extension of reactor vessel nozzles," Material selection in NPP design project report, Course E14004, KINGS, and South Korea.
- ST P's First-of-a-Kind Leakage Repair, Nuclear News, http://www2.ans.org/pubs/magazines/nn/docs/2004-10-2.pdf, pp. 32-34, 2004.
- P alo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (PVNGS) Unit 3, Docket No. STN 50-530, License No. NPF 74, Licensee Event Report 2013-001-00, 2013.
- Blanchard, B.S., and W.J. Fabrycky, "Systems Engineering and Analysis," 5th ed. Prentice-Hall International series in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA: Prentice-Hall, pp. 142-161, (February 2010).
- I NCOSE, Systems Engineering Handbook, version 3.2.2., INCOSE-TP-2003-002-03.2.2., pp. 61-218, (October 2011).
연구 과제 주관 기관 : KEPCO International Nuclear Graduate School (KINGS)