- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Non Destructive Evaluation of the Steam Turbine L-0 Blades
Mizanur, Rahman Md.;Rezk, Osama;Ouma, Victor Otieno;Vaysidin, Saidov;Gomaa, M. Abdullatif;Jung, JaeCheon;Lee, YongKwan
- 투고 : 2016.02.03
- 심사 : 2016.06.22
- 발행 : 2016.06.30
The Nuclear and Fossil Steam Turbines record a considerable number of failures annually. Some of these failures reported are as result of blade failure. The failure of the L-0 blade in a Steam Turbine is one of the most reported blade failure in Nuclear and Fossil steam turbines. This paper seeks to identify the best Non Destructive Evaluation (NDE) method or methods to be used in the steam turbine L-0 blades inspection process. The development of systems engineering processes presents an opportunity to apply NDE inspection to the L-0 blades. This process apply computer modelling of the L-0 using ANSYS and by simulating the stresses experienced by the L-0 blade during operation it is possible to identify the most susceptible areas for crack formation and growth. The results from these models compared to industry data for validation. The analysis of these results used to predict the most probable failure location and failure modes. Therefore NDE inspection can be applied to these areas with greater degree of accuracy. This would be beneficial in the increasing the accuracy in the detection of cracks and hence save inspection time and the overall inspection cost. Furthermore, not only the location for crack formation and NDE inspection determined but also best the NDE inspection technique/techniques to be applied appropriately on the L-0 blade are prescribed.
Steam Turbine;NDE;Systems Engineering;L-0 Blade;PAUT
- EPRI report, Steam Turbine Disk Blade Attachment Inspection Using Linear Phased Array Ultrasonic Technology, 1999.
- R. Raisutis, et el., "The review of nondestructive testing techniques suitable for inspection of the wind turbine blades", ULTRAGARSAS (ULTRASOUND), Vol.63, No.1, 2008.
- H.C. Chang, "Automatic Inspection of Turbine Blades using 3-axis CMM together with a 2-axis dividing head", International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 26. 2006.
- Krishna, T.S.S.R., Lakshmana Kishore, T, "3D Modeling and Dynamic Characterization of Steam Turbine Packet Blade and Cyclic Symmetric Analysis", International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 2319-1163, Nov, 2012.
- Eugene A. Chisley, Steam Turbine Blade Reverse Engineering, Upgrade, and Structural Design, 2013.
- Steam Turbine-Generator Torsional Vibration Interaction with the Electrical Network: Tutorial, Technical Report Number 1011679, EPRI, Nov. 2005.
- Eric Buskirk, "Torsional Dynamics Large 2-pole and 4-pole Steam Turbine Powertrains", GE Power & Water, May. 2013.
- Seunghan Yang, Byungsik Yoon, Yongsik Kim. Using phased array ultrasonic technique for the inspection of straddle mount-type low-pressure turbine disc. NDT&E International, Vol. 42, 128-132, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2008.10.004
- Bernus1 L v. et. al. Sampling Phased Array A New Technique for Signal Processing and Ultrasonic Imaging, Fraunhofer Institute Nondestructive Testing IZFP, Saarbrucken/ Dresden, Germany.