- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study for Selecting Modular Construction Method - Focus on Benefits and Barriers of Modular Method -
플랜트 공사 모듈러 공법 적용 의사결정을 위한 연구 - 모듈러 공법의 장·단점 및 적용 장벽에 대한 고찰 -
- Received : 2015.11.23
- Accepted : 2016.04.21
- Published : 2016.07.31
Recently, The importance of modular construction method has increased by market environmental change. However, it's application in the actual project is restricted due to the lack of understanding of modularization and the absence of utilization system. To overcome this problem, this study propose the decision-making model for selecting modular or conventional (stick-built) construction method at early stage. First the needs of modular method in plant project is derived and the benefits and barriers of modular construction are analyzed through literature review. Based on this analysis, 6 decision-making factors covered project and modular characteristics are derived and the decision-making model is developed. Finally, 12 actual overseas project cases is evaluated by this model for verifying its applicability. This proposed model can provide the guideline to select the construction method in early stage for successful execution of plant project.
Modular Construction;Benefits and Barriers of Modular;Decisoin-Making
- Azhar, S., Lukkad, M., and Ahmad, I. (2012). "Modular v. stick-built construction: Identification of critical decision-making factors." In Proceedings of the 48th Annual Conference of Associated Schools of Construction, Birmingham, UK.
- Choi, J. O., and O'Connor, J. T. (2014). "Modularization Critical Success Factors Accomplishment: Learning from Case Studies." Proceeding of Construction Research Congress 2014 : Construction in a Global Network, ASCE, pp. 1636-1645.
- Construction Industry Institute (CII). (2013). "SPC", 47th ASC Annual International Conference Proceedings.
- Elnaas, H., Gidado, K., and Ashton, P. (2014). "Factors and drivers effecting the decision of using off-site manufacturing (OSM) systems in house building industry." Journal of Engineering Project and Production Management, 4(1), pp. 51-58.
- Gibb, A. and Pendlebury M. (2005). Glossary of Terms. Buildoffsite: Prompting Construction offsite, London.
- Hwang, J., Choi, S., Lee, J., and Kim, Y. (2014). "Development of Bill Service Framework for Modular Housing Construction" Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, KICEM, 15(5), pp. 138-146. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2014.15.5.138
- Joseph M. Schoenborn (2012). "A Case Study Approach to Identifying the Constraints and Barriers to design innovation for modular construction." Thesis of M.S. VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE.
- Kim, D., Lee, J., Kim, J., and Kim, J. (2014). "Marketing Strategy and Influential Factors based on the Attribute of Unit Modular System." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management , KICEM, 15(1), pp. 78-86. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2014.15.1.078
- Lapp, C. W., and Golay, M. W. (1997). "Modular design and construction techniques for nuclear power plants." Nuclear Engineering and Design, 172(3), pp. 327-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(97)00031-9
- Li, H. X., Al-Hussein, M., Lei, Z., and Ajweh, Z. (2013) . "Risk identification and assessment of modular construction utilizing fuzzy analytic hierarchy process (AHP) and simulation." Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 40(12), pp. 1184-1195. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2013-0013
- Mohammed Jawad Alshayeb (2011). "Lean Production Using Modular Construction Study of The ABC Company's Projects." Thesis of M.S. The University of Kansas.
- Murtaza, M. B., Fisher, D. J., and Skibniewski, M. J. (1993). "Knowledge-based approach to modular construction decision support." Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 119(1), pp. 115-130. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(1993)119:1(115)
- Rahman, M. M. (2013). "Barriers of Implementing Modern Methods of Construction." Journal of Management in Engineering, 30(1), pp. 69-77.
- Rogan, A. L., Lawson, R. M., amd Bates-Brkljac, N. (2000). "Value and benefits assessment of modular construction." The Steel Construction Institute, Ascot.
- Tatum, C. B., Vanegas, J.A., and Williams, J. M. (1987) . "Constructability Improvement using Prefabrication" Pre-assembly and Modularization, Technical Report 297, Austin: Construction Industry Institute.
- Zaheer I. Malik, and Ronald D. KEY (2012). Modularizaation. Linde BOC Process Plants LLC.
Supported by : 한국과학재단