- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Color Reliability of New Combat Uniform Fabrics through Quantitative Analysis of the Color and Color Fastness to Washing
색상 및 세탁견뢰도의 정량적 분석을 통한 신형 전투복 원단의 색상신뢰성 연구
- Received : 2015.07.14
- Accepted : 2015.11.30
- Published : 2016.06.30
A new combat uniform is improved for added combat safety with various functions such as survivability, battle conformity and a camouflage performance system. Camouflage performance is an important factor in terms of combat survivability since it makes identification difficult and provide security. The combat uniform is worn under extreme conditions (exposure to ultraviolet light, sweat and friction) and an excellent color fastness to repeated washing is required. In this study, we investigated the color management, durability and discoloration of new combat uniform fabric with a digital pattern for camouflage performance to provide preliminary color management data. We examined color differences between standard fabric and mass-produced combat uniform fabrics, color differences between each military supply contract firm and color changes in combat uniforms after 60 washing cycles. The slight color differences between standard fabric and mass-produced combat uniform fabrics were tolerable under quality criteria of Republic of Korea Ministry of National Defense. However, the differences between the military supply contract firms were recognizable to the naked eye and increased with repeated washing. Continuous research on color fastness under repeated washing and color management is required to standardize reliability from each military supply contract firm for the daytime performance of a combat uniform's camouflage.
New combat uniform fabric;Digital pattern;Color difference;Color fastness to washing;Reliability
- Han, H. J., Kim, Y. G., Hong, S. D., Shin, D. W. (2013). A study on the colorfastness test method to light for military textile products. (DTaQ-13-3839-R). Seoul: Defense Agency for Technology and Quality.
- Kim, Y. G., Han, H. J., Lim, C. K., Park, Y. K., Seo, I. W., Lee, J. M., Song, T. J., Shin, D. W., & Kim, K. P. (2009). The evolution of combat uniforms and shape of future combat uniforms - Past, present and future of combat uniforms - (DTaQ-09-2018-R). Seoul: Defense Agency for Technology and Quality.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2008). KS K 0205:2008 Calculation of color differences for textiles. Seoul: Author.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2011). KS K ISO 6330:2011 Textiles-Domestic washing and drying procedures for textile testing. Seoul: Author.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2014). KS K ISO 105-A02:2014 Textiles - Tests for colour fastness - Part A02: Grey scale for assessing change in colour. Seoul: Author.
- Ministry of National Defense. (2015). 신형 전투복 원단 및 디지털 무늬 [New combat uniform fabric and digital pattern]. Seoul: Author.
- US Military. (2011). MIL DTL 44031 Revision E Cloth, Camouflage Pattern: Cotton And Nylon - Revision E. Alexandria, VA: Author.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 충남대학교