- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characteristic Evaluation of Impact Absorption Materials for the Development of Fall Impact Protective Pants
낙상 보호 팬츠개발을 위한 충격흡수 소재특성 평가
Park, Jung Hyun;Lee, Jin Suk;Lee, Jeong Ran
- Received : 2015.07.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.29
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study explores and selects an appropriate material that considers light and soft physical properties as well as activity for impact absorption pads that can be used to develop practical impact protective clothes worn during daily life by the elderly to reduce the impact of falls. Physical properties, impact absorption performance, and compression characteristics were evaluated on 5 types of foam, 2 types of 3D spacer fabric, and 3 types of polymer gel to select a material appropriate for the pad to be inserted into impact protective clothes. The evaluation of the physical properties showed that 3D spacer fabrics had lower density compared to other materials and polymer gels had the highest density. The elongation percentage was higher in foams than 3D spacer fabrics and EPDM foam had the highest elongation percentage. The impact absorption performance of honeycomb polymer gel was better than foams and 3D spacer fabrics. As a result of looking into compression energy and compression characteristics of materials, 'CR foam A' was found to absorb the largest amount of compression energy, 24.1%, among foams and polymer gels. A high energy absorption rate of 50.0% (or above) was indicated by 3D spacer fabrics; however, foams and polymer gels showed a progressive deformation of energy compression / recovery curve with 3D spacer fabrics that showed drastic deformation. Based on characteristics of materials, 'CR foam C' and EPDM with relatively high absorption performance can be used as protective pad materials among foams. Among polymer gels, 2 open-type polymer gels that have relatively low impact protective performance but a relatively lighter weight on human body (compared to closed-type) are considered appropriate protective pad materials.
Impact protective materials;Characteristic evaluation;Physical properties;Impact absorption performance;Compression characteristics
- Choi, H. S., & Do, W. H. (2005). Development and wearing comfort analysis of motorcycle wear with built-in airbag. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 43(6), 27-35.
- Choi, J. W., & Kim, M. J. (2011). Clothing and health. Paju: Kyomunsa.
- Dellinger, A. M., & Stevens, J. A. (2006). The injury problem among older adults: Mortality, morbidity and costs. Journal of Safety Research, 37(5), 519-522. doi:10.1016/j.jsr.2006.10.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2006.10.001
- Hur, J. Y. (2007). Knowledge and attitude toward falls among elderly inpatients. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. H. (2009). Study on fall detection and fracture prevention system. Unpublished doctoral dissetation, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, Y. Y., Kwon, T. K., Kim, D. W., & Kim, N. G. (2007). Dynamic characterization of fall for development of fracture prevention system. Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research, 28(6), 811-816.
- Korean Agency for Technology Standards. (2009). Protector For Roller Sports Users (2009-978). KSTS. Retrieved September 9, 2013, from http://www.kats.go.kr/content.do?cmsid=50
- Laing, A. C., & Robinovitch, S. N. (2008). Effect of soft shell hip protectors on pressure distribution to the hip during sideways falls. Osteoporosis International, 19(7), 1067-1075. doi:10.1007/s00198-008-0571-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-008-0571-9
- Lee, E. J., & Kim, C. G. (2003). A survey of fractures and factors associated with falls in elderly patients. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 5(2), 182-192.
- Lee, J. S., Park, J. H., & Lee, J. R. (2014). Basic study on the development of impact protective pants and falls of elderly women. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 16(6), 945-953. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.6.945 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.6.945
- Lee, Y. D. (1994). Plastic foam의 가공 및 응용 [Finishing and applicaton of plastic foam]. 플라스틱 실용화기술 FORUM, 1(0), 129-152.
- Lee, Y. S. (2009). A study on the development of the protective inner-pants for snow boarders. Unpublished mater's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Minns, R. J., Marsh, A. M., Chuck, A., & Todd, J. (2007). Are hip protectors correctly positioned in use? Age and Ageing, 36(2), 140-144. doi:10.1093/ageing/afl186 https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afl186
- Park, J. H., Lee, J. S., & Lee, J. R. (2014). 낙상충격 프로텍트 패드 설계 [Design of fall impact protect pad]. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Costume, Fall Conference, Korea, 251-252.
- Park, M. J., & Lee, M. S. (2003). 운동선수의 상해방지와 경기력 향상을 위한 충격보호기능 스포츠웨어 개발 [Impact protective functioned sports-wear development for athlete's protection and improvement in performance]. Fiber Technology and Industry, 7(4), 471-480.
- van Schoor, N. M., van der Veen, A. J., Schaap, L. A., Smit, T. H., & Lips, P. (2006). Biomechanical comparison of hard and soft hip protectors, and the influence of soft tissue. Bone, 39(2), 401-407. doi:10.1016/j.bone.2006.01.156 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2006.01.156
- Watkins, S. M. (1998). 의복과 환경 (개정판) [Clothing: The portable environment (1st ed.)] (H. S. Choi, Trans.). Seoul: Ewha Womans Unuversity Press. (Original work published 1995)
- Yip, J., & Ng, S. P. (2008). Study of three-dimensional spacer fabrics: Physical and mechanical properties. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 206(1-3), 359-364. doi:10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.12.073 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.12.073
- Development and Evaluation of Fall Impact Protection Pad vol.20, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.4.422
Supported by : 한국연구재단