- Volume 58 Issue 4
Harmonized World Soil Database (HWSD) including the global soil information has been implemented to the runoff analysis in many watersheds of the world. However, its accuracy can be a critical issue in the modeling because of the limitation the low resolution reflecting the physical properties of soil in a watershed. Accordingly, this study attempted to assess the effect of HWSD in modeling by comparing parameters of the rainfall-runoff model using HWSD with the detailed soil map. For this, Grid based Rainfall-runoff Model (GRM) was employed in the Hyangseok watershed. The results showed that both of two soil maps in the rainfall-runoff model are able to well capture the observed runoff. However, compared with the detailed soil map, HWSD produced more uncertainty in the GRM parameters related to soil depth and hydraulic conductivity during the calibrations than the detailed soil map. Therefore, the uncertainty from the limited information on soil texture in HWSD should be considered for better calibration of a rainfall-runoff model.
Detailed soil map;Distributed Hydrologic Model;GRM, HWSD;Rainfall-runoff;Soil related parameter
- Abdelhamid, F., R. Hassan, K. Abdelhadi, K. Youness, and A.B. Omar, 2011. Hydrologic Modeling of the Bouregreg Watershed (Morocco) Using GIS and SWAT Model. Journal of Geographic Information System 3: 279-289. https://doi.org/10.4236/jgis.2011.34024
- Choi, Y.S. 2010. Development and evaluation of a physically based distributed rainfall-runoff model embedded in GIS. Doctoral dissertation, Inha University, Incheon, Korea 19-26 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Choi, Y.S., C. K Choi, K. T. Kim, 2012. Development of a multi-site calibration module of distributed model -the case of GRM-. Journal of Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies 15(3): 103-118 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Christian, F., S. Rastislav, M. Elena, B. Juraj, B.A. Ligia, O. Michael, and V.D.V. Marijn. 2015. Uncertainty in soil data can outweigh climate impact signals in global crop yield simulations. Nature Communations 7:11872, 1-13.
- Doherty, J. 2009. PEST: Model-Independent Parameter Estimation. Watermark Numerical Computing, Australia.
- Elena, T., M. Mark, O. Mohamed, F. Abdoulaye, and B. Emily. 2013. Dynamic Hydrological Modeling in Drylands with TRMM Based Rainfall. Remote Sensing 5: 6691-6716. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs5126691
- FAO, IIASA, ISRIC, ISS-CAS, JRC. 2009. Harmonized World Soil Database (version 1.1). FAO, Rome, Italy and IIASA, Laxenburg Austria, 1-6.
- Jung, I.K., H. J. Shin, J. H. Park, and S. J. Kim, (2008). A modified grid-based kinematic wave storrm runoff model (ModKIMSTORM) (II)-Application and Analysis-. Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, KSCE 28(6B): 709-721 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Jung, J.H., S. P. Jang, H. I. Kim, Y. T. Jung, G. S. Her, and H. Park, 1995. Classification of hydrologic soil group for estimating runoff rate. Magazine of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 37(6): 12-32 (in Korean).
- KICT. 2011. HyGIS-GRM user's manual 1-5 (in Korean).
- KICT. 2016. Grid based Rainfall-runoff Model user's manual for MapWindow GIS 22-32 (in Korean).
- Kim, K.T. 1998. Analysis of Runoff Response Using GIS. Doctoral dissertation, Inha University, Incheon, Korea. 94-98 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, K. T. 2003. A suggestion of using the detailed soil map for calculating CN. Magazine of Korea Water Resources Association 36(4): 45-53 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2003.36.1.045
- Kim, K. T., Y. S. Choi, 2004. A study on the estimation of effective precipitation using detailed soil map. Journal of Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies 7(2): 1-15 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kochy, M., R. Hiederer, and A. Freibauer. 2015. Global distribution of soil organic carbon-Part 1: Masses and frequency distributions of SOC stocks for the tropics, permafrost regions, wetlands, and the world. Soil 1: 351-365. https://doi.org/10.5194/soil-1-351-2015
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (MLTM). 2011. Hydrological Survey Report in 2010 29-34, 327-336 (in Korean).
- Ministry of Land, Transport, and Maritime Affairs (MLTM). 2011. Development of Rainfall Estimation and Analysis Optimization System of the Bisl-San Rainfall Radar (in Korean).
- National Institute of Agricultural Sciences (NAS). 1992. Korean Soil taxonomy-supplement. Soil survey data 13: 283-290.
- Noh, S. J., S. W. Choi, Y. S. Choi, K. T. Kim, 2014. Impact assessment of spatial resolution of radar rainfall and a distributed hydrologic model on parameter estimation. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 34(5): 1443-1454 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2014.34.5.1443
- Noh, S. J., Y. Choi, C. Choi, and K. Kim, 2013. Parameter estimation of a distributed hydrologic model using parallel PEST: comparison of impacts by radar and ground rainfall estimates. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, KWRA 46(11): 1041-1052 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.11.1041
- Park, J. H., Y. T. Hur, 2008. Analysis of runoff sensitivity for initial soil condition in distributed model. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 28(4B): 375-381 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Todd-Brown, K.E.O., J.T. Randerson, W.M. Post, F.M. Hoffman, C. Tarnocai, E.A.G Schuur, and S.D. Allison. 2013. Causes of variation in soil carbon simulations from CMIP5 Earth system models and comparison with observations. Biogeosciences 10: 1717-1736.
- Xianwu, X., H. Yang, S. L. Ashutosh, J. G. Jonathan, J. H. George, I. K. Sadiq, D. Chhimi, and C. Sheng. 2013. Statistical and hydrological evaluation of TRMM-based Multi-satellite Precipitation Analysis over the Wangchu Basin of Bhutan: Are the latest satellite precipitation products 3B42V7 ready for use in ungauged basins. Journal of Hydrology 499: 91-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.06.042
- Yassine, B., K. Ilias, B. Hassane, K. Mourad, R. Aicha, N.E.A. Pazza1, M. Abdelhalim, and Y. Zainab. 2016. Hydrologic Modeling Using SWAT and GIS, Application to Subwatershed Bab-Merzouka(Sebou, Morocco). Journal of Geographic Information System 8: 20-27. https://doi.org/10.4236/jgis.2016.81002
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 국토교통부