- Volume 27 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Improvement of Phase Noise for Oscillator Using Frequency Locked Loop
주파수 잠금회로를 이용한 발진기의 위상잡음 개선
Kim, Wook-Lae;Lee, Chang-Dae;Kim, Yong-Nam;Im, Pyung-Soon;Lee, Dong-Hyun;Yeom, Kyung-Whan
- Received : 2016.05.18
- Accepted : 2016.07.11
- Published : 2016.08.01
In this paper, we showed the phase noise of voltage controlled oscillator(VCO) can be radically improved using FLL(Frequency Locked Loop). At first, a 5 GHz VCO is fabricated using a hair-pin resonator. The fabricated VCO shows a phase noise of -53.1 dBc/Hz at 1 kHz frequency offset. In order to improve the phase noise of the fabricated VCO, a FLL is constructed using the feedback loop that consists of the VCO, a frequency detector composed of 5 GHz resonator, loop-filter, and level shifter. The fabricated FLL is designed to oscillate at a frequency of 5 GHz, and its measured phase noise is about -120.6 dBc/Hz at 1 kHz offset frequency. As a result, the phase noise of VCO can be radically improved by about 67.5 dB applying FLL. In addition, the measured phase noise performance is close to that of crystal oscillator.
Voltage Controlled Oscillator;Frequency Locked Loop;Phase Noise
- J. -C. Nallatamby, M. Prigent, M. Camiade, A. Sion, C. Gourdon, and J. J. Obregon, "An advanced low-frequency noise model of GaInP-GaAs HBT for accurate prediction of phase noise in oscillators", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 53, pp. 1601-1612, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2005.847050
- P. A. Traverso, C. Florian, M. Borgarino, and F. Filicori, "An empirical bipolar device nonlinear noise modeling approach for large-signal microwave circuit analysis", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 54, pp. 4341-4352, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2006.885991
- C. Floran, P. A. Traverso, and F. Filicori, "The charge-controlled nonlinear noise modeling approach for the design of MMIC GaAs-pHEMT VCOs for space applications", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 59, pp. 901-912, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2011.2104976
- Y. -T. Lee, J. -S. Lim, C.-S. Kim, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A compact-size microstrip spiral resonator and its application to microwave oscillator", IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 375-377, Oct. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2002.804556
- L. -H. Hsieh, K. Chang, "High-efficiency piezoelec-trictransducer tuned feedback microstrip ring-resonator oscillators operation at high resonant frequencies", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 51, pp. 1141-1145, Apr. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2003.809671
- Y. -T. Lee, J. Lee, and S. Nam, "High-Q active resonators using amplifiers and their applications to low phase-noise free-running and voltage-controlled oscillatros", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 52, pp. 2621-2626, Nov. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2004.837199
- B. I. Son, H. C. Jeong, K. W. Yeom, "Design of a low phase noise voltage tuned DRO based on improved dielectric resonator coupling structure", in Proc. Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., Kaohsiung, pp. 1121-1123, Dec. 2012.
- 염경환, 능동초고주파회로 설계 입문, 홍릉과학출판사, 2006년.
- Andrew Gorevoy, Micran, Tomsk, Russia, "A low noise oscillator based on a conventional dielectric resonator", Microwave Journal, vol. 56, issue 11, pp. 84-94, 6, Nov. 2013.
- Juan M. Avila-Ruiz, "Frequency locked loop architecture for phase noise reduction in wideband low-noise microwave oscillators", IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, pp. 869-875, Aug. 2013.
- A. S. Gupta, "High spectral purity microwave oscillator: design using conventional air-dielectric cavity", IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Society, pp. 1225-1231, Oct. 2004.
- 손범익, 정해창, 염경환, "루프 군지연을 이용한 저위상 잡음 5 GHz 전압제어 유전체 공진기 발진기 설계", 한국전자파학회논문지, 25(3), pp. 269-281, 2014년 3월.
- E5052B, Signal Source Analyzer, 10 MHz to 7, 26.5, or 110 GHz, Agilent Technologies, 5989-0903EN, 2007 [Online] Available: http://www.agilent.com/
- Z. Galani, M. J. Bianchini, R. W. Laton, and J. B. Cole, "Analysis and design of a single resonator GaAs FET oscillator with noise degeneration", IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1556-1565, Dec. 1984. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1984.1132894
- N5230A PNA-L Network Analyzer, 10 MHz to 20 GHz Available: http://www.agilent.com/
- PS2-50-450/8S, 2-Way Power Divider, 4.0 GHz to 27.0 GHz, Pulsar Microwave Corporation, Available: http://www.pulsarmicrowave.com/
- M1-0420, Double Balanced Mixer, Marki Microwave, Available: http://www.markimicrowave.com/
- 83640B, Synthesized Swept-Signal Generator, 0.01 - 40 GHz, Keysight Technologies, Available: http://www.keysight.com/
- HMC313, GaAs InGaP HBT MMIC Amplifier, Hittite, Available: http://www.hittite.com/
- SMD6000, Double Balanced Mixer, Synergy Microwave Corporation, Available: http://synergymwave.com/
- LM6152, Dual and Quad High Speed/Low Power 75 MHz GBW Rail-to-Rail I/O Operational Amplifiers, National Semiconductor, Available: http://www.ti.com/
- AD8137, Low Cost, Low Power, Differential ADC Driver, Analog Devices, Available: http://www.analog.com/
- RO4350, Laminate, ROGERS, Available: http://www.rogerscorp.com/
- AS318-B-100, Accusilicon AS318-B Series Professional Audiophile Crystal Oscillator, Available: http://www.accusilicon.com/
Supported by : 한국연구재단