- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Depression in Chinese Students Studying in Korea: Focused on Acculturative Stress, Academic Stress and Career Stress
중국인 유학생의 우울 영향요인: 문화적응 스트레스, 학업스트레스 및 진로스트레스 중심으로
- Received : 2016.03.22
- Accepted : 2016.04.20
- Published : 2016.07.28
This study was conducted in order to identify factors influencing depression in Chinese students in Korea, focusing on factors related to acculturation stress, academic stress and career stress. The participants of this study were 166 Chinese students studying in Korea. Data were collected from Sep. 7th to Oct 15th. The subjects' mean score of depression was 17.36(6.77), and their scores of acculturation stress, academic stress, and career stress were 69.51(19.06), 34.64(5.03), and 29.13(9.14), respectively. Acculturative stress and career stress were found to be factors influencing the depression level of Chinese students in Korea and the two factors' explanatory power was 51.9%. Based on the findings of this study, in order to lower Chinese students' depression level and help them lead a healthy academic life in Korea, it is necessary to assess their acculturative stress and career stress and to provide special intervention for students with high perceived stress.
Chnise Students;Depression;Acculturative Stress;Academic Stress;Career Stress
- D. W. Shin, Effects of the Perceptions of Parents' Expectations for the Future Careers of Children on Academic and Employment Stress among College Students : Focusing on the Moderating Effects of Self-Differentiation, Masters thesis, Kyunghee University, 2007.
- J. H. Lee, A study on department satisfaction, career maturity, and career stress of college students, Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, 2009.
- J. H. Park and K. W. Kim, "A review of the epidemiology of depression in Korea," Journal of Korean Medical Association, Vol.54, No.4, pp.362-369, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.4.362
- H. O. Jeon, "The influence of job-seeking stress, adult attachment and self-assertiveness, on depression among Korean college students," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.7, pp.312-323, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.312 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.312
- J. S. Lee, G. F. Koeske, and E. Sales, "Social support buffering of acculturative stress: a study of mental health symptoms among Korean international students," International Journal of Intercultural Relations, Vol.28, pp.399-414, 2004. dio:10.1016/j.ijintrel.2004.08.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2004.08.005
- I. K. Seo and Y. S. Lee, "The effect of university student's job-seeking stress on depression and despair: control effect of social support," Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, Vol.12, No.1, pp.117-147, 2015.
- E. M. Park, B. Y. Hwang, and T. Y. Jung, "Relationship between college life stress and school adjustment for Chinese international undergraduates in South Korea: Moderating effects of some variables," The Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol.18, No.2, pp.145-152, 2010.
- K. H. Kim and J. H. Kwon, "Testing models of relations to academic & career stress, acceptance behavior, and the psychological well-being of college students," The Korean Journal of the Human Development, Vol.21, No.4, pp.43-60, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15284/kjhd.2014.21.4.43
- J. Y. Kim and W. I. Kim, "The effects of college stressor on leisure constraints of chinese and Korean students," Tourism Study, Vol.23, No.2, pp.345-362, 2008.
- H. G. Kim, J. G. Lee, and J. S. Kang, "A research for Chinese students' academic counseling strategy on the ground of professional consciousness characteristics," Journal of International Area Studies, Vol.2, pp.687-712, 2009.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner, and A. G. Lang, "Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses," Behavior Research Methods, Vol.41, pp.1149-1160, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- K. K. Chon and M. K. Rhee, "Preliminary development of Korean version of CES-D," Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol.11, No.1, pp.65-76, 1992.
- Statistics Korea [Internet]. [cited 2014 Nov 3], Available from: http://www.moe.go.kr/web/100088/ko/board/
- D. S. Sandhu and B. R. Asrabadi, "Development of an acculturative stress scale for international students; preliminary findings," Psychol Rep, Vol.75, pp.435-438, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2065
- S. Y. Kyung and S. M. Jang, "The effect of acculturative stress on depression and drinking problem among Chinese students in Korea," Mental Health & Social Work, Vol.34, pp.399-421, 2010.
- H. S. Jeong, "Stress and counseling need of Chinese students in Korea," Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.14, No.2B pp.949-963, 2012.
- R. Hechanova-Alampay, T. A. Beehr, N. D. Christiansen, and R. V. Horn, "Adjustment and strain among domestic and international students sojourners," School Psychology International, Vol.23, No.4, pp.458-474, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/0143034302234007
- H. K. Lee, "Factors affecting depression of the Chinese students in Korea: focusing on socioeconomic characteristics, language skills, acculturative stress and social support," Korea Society for Wellness Research, Vol.7, No.3, pp.129-143, 2002.
- M. J. Jin, S. M. Bae, and M. H. Hyun, "The effect of perceived discrimination, coping strategies, and social support on depression among Chinese students in Korea," The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.16, No.4, pp.783-797, 2011.
- M. K. Kim, "Relationship on depression and suicide ideation of university students - the mediating effects of negative emotion and social adaptation-," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.18, No.12, pp.101-129, 2011.
- H. J. Kwak and H. J. Kim, "A meta-analysis of related factors depression of Korean university students," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.20, No.7, pp.75-98, 2013.
- M. R. Yoo, S. Y. Choi, Y. M. Kim, S. J. Han, N. Y. Yang, H. K. Kim, H. K. Chang, M. R. Lee, and Y. J. Son, "Acculturative Stress, Resilience, and Depression among Chinese Students in Korea," J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol.19, No.3, pp.320-329, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.320
- K. S. Kim and M. H. Kim, "The influence of academic stress and acculturative stress of republic of Korean studying abroad on psychological adjustment," Korean Journal of Culture and Social Issues, Vol.20, No.2, pp.67-88, 2014.
- Y. K. Kim, "Needs analysis for Chinese and Japanese international students' adaptation to university life in Korea," The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol.10, No.1, pp.535-559, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.1.200903.535
- M. S. Kim, F. Y. Shi, J. L. Piao, and Y. S. Seo, "Moderating effects of maladaptative and adaptive perfectionism on acculturative stress, depressive symptoms, and somatization in Chinese international students," Korean Journal of Psychology: General, Vol.29, No.4, pp.725-745, 2010.