- Volume 40 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Reliability of Fatigue Limit of S34MnV Steel for Marine Diesel Engine Crank Throw Components
선박용 디젤 엔진 크랭크 스로 부품용 S34MnV강의 피로한도에 대한 신뢰도 예측
Kim, Seon Jin;Kong, Yu Sik
- Received : 2016.03.16
- Accepted : 2016.06.21
- Published : 2016.08.01
The aim of this study is to estimate the reliability of fatigue limit of the material used for crank throw components according to the staircase method. The material used for crank throw components is forged S34MnV grade steel, which is heat treated by normalizing and tempering. In this work, to predict the reliability of the design fatigue strength, axially loaded constant amplitude fatigue testing was conducted. The test specimens were loaded with an axial push/pull load with a mean stress of 0 MPa, which corresponds to a stress ratio of R=-1. The fatigue test results were evaluated by Dixon-Mood formulas. The values of mean fatigue strength and standard deviation predicted by the staircase method were 296.3 MPa and 10.6 MPa, respectively. Finally, the reliability of the fatigue limit in some selected probability of failure is predicted. The proposed method can be applied for the determination of fatigue strength for design optimization of the forged steel.
Crank Throw;Reliability;Fatigue Limit;Design Fatigue Strength;Staircase Method;Fatigue Testing
- Kubo, H. and Mori, H., 2005, "Technical Developments and Recent Trends in Crankshaft Materials," Kobelco Technology Review, No. 26, pp. 37-42.
- Kim, D. Y., Kim, Y. D., Kim, D. K. and Kim, J. C., 2003, "A Study on the Open Die Forging Preform Shape of Crank Throw for Large Ship Engines," Proceedings of the KSTP2003 Spring Conference, pp. 191-194.
- Fonte, M., Duarte, P., Anes, V., Freitas, M. and Reis, L., 2015, "On the Assessment of Fatigue Life of Marine Diesel Engine," Engineering Failure Analysis, pp. xxx-xxx.
- Sohn, H. J. and Kim, S. J., 2012, "Marco and Microscopic Observations of Fatigue Crack growth behavior in API 2W Gr. 50 Steel Joints," Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 73-80. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2012.26.5.073
- Castillo, E., Fermansez, Canteli, A. and Hadi, A. S., 1999, "On Fitting a Fatigue Model to Data," International Journal of Fatigue, No. 21, pp. 97-106.
- ASTM, 1981, "Statistical Analysis of Fatigue Data," ASTM-STP, p. 744.
- Hanaki, S., Yamashita M. and Uchida, H., 2010, "On Stochastic Evaluation of S-N Data Based on Fatigue Strength Distribution," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 605-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2009.06.001
- Fouchereau, R., Celeus, G. and Pamphile, P., 2014, "Probabilistic Modeling of S-N Curves," International Journal of Fatigue, No. 68, pp. 217-223.
- Zhai., J. M. and Li, X. Y., 2012, "A Methodology to Determine a Conditional Probability Density Distribution Surface from S-N Data," International Journal of Fatigue, No. 44, pp. 107-115.
- Dixion, W. J. and Mood, A. M., 1948, "A Method for Obtaining and Analyzing Sensitivity Data," Journal of Am. Stat. Assoc. No. 43, pp. 109-126.
- Little, R. E., 1975, "Statistical Design of Fatigue Experiments," John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Pollak, R., Palazotto, A. and Nicholas, T., 2006, "A Simulation-Based Investigation of the Staircase Method for Fatigue Strength Testing," Mechanics of Materials, No. 38, pp. 1170-1181.
- Lin, S. K., Lee, Y. L. and Lu, M. W., 2001, "Evaluation of the Staircase and the Accelerated Test Methods for Fatigue Limit Distributions," International Journal of Fatigue, No. 23, pp. 75-83.
- Rabb, B. R., 2003, "Staircase Testin-confidence and Reliability," Transaction Engineering Science, No. 40, pp. 447-464.
- Kim, S. J., Itagaki, H. and Ishizuka, T., 2000, "Effect of Specimen Thickness on the Statistical Properties of Fatigue Crack Growth Resistance in BS4360 steel," KSME International Journal, Vol. 14, pp. 1041-1050. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03185058
- ISO, 2006, "Metallic Materials-Fatigue Testing Axial Force-Controlled Method," p. 21.