- Volume 40 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Development Test for Flexible PTO Shaft Made of Ti Alloy for Aircraft
Ti 합금을 이용한 항공기용 Flexible PTO 샤프트 개발 시험
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.15
- Published : 2016.08.01
The PTO (Power Take-Off) shaft for aircraft, with welded construction using multiple thin membranes, was developed in the 1950s to improve the elasticity of the part. As it is lightweight, stable at high speeds, and has good flexibility, it is used in most of the fighter aircraft. It connects the AMAD (aircraft mounted accessory drive) gearbox with the EMAD (engine mounted accessory drive) gearbox and transmits the rotational power between them. It operates in the high speed range of 10,000-18,000 rpm. In this study, the safety of the PTO shaft made of Ti alloy was investigated using finite element analysis, and the ability to transmit power was demonstrated through a high-cycle fatigue test conducted in a laboratory. Further, the life of the ball joints of the aircraft under high-cycle fatigue test conditions was predicted, and the wear characteristics were analyzed.
PTO;Flexible Shaft;High Cycle Fatigue Test;Ball Joint;Membrane
- Singermann, S. A. and Jackson, J. J., 1996, "Titanium Metal Matrix Composite for Aerospace Applications," Superalloys 1996. Proceedings of Eighth Int. Symposium on Superalloys, pp. 579-586.
- Jothi, S., Balamurugan, V. and Ganesan, S., 2005, "Design and Development of Light Weight Flexible Power Transmission Shaft for High Speed Fighter Aircraft Application," SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-340.
- Nagesh, S. and Abu, M. J. B., 2012, "Effects of Misalignment of High Speed Flexible Coupling on the Fighter Aircraft Transmission Characteristics," International Journal of Fluid Machinery and Systems, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 91-99. https://doi.org/10.5293/IJFMS.2012.5.2.091
- Jung, J. H., Lee, S. H., Park, S. W., Jeong, I. M. and Lee, S. B., 2006, "T-50 Engine Airstart Test," International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 90-95.
- Essinger, J. N., 1995, "Shaft Alignment," Proceedings of the Twelfth International Pump Users Symposium, Turbomachinery Laboratory The Texas A&M University System, pp. 163-187.
- Chong, U. P., Cho, S. J. and Lee, J. Y., 2006, "Fault Diagnosis for Rotating Machine Using Feature Extraction and Minimum Detection Error Algorithm," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 27-33. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2006.16.1.027
- KAI, 2000, Critical Item Development Specification for the KTX-2 Power Take-Off Shaft.
- Experimental Investigation on Torsional Analysis and Fracture of Tripod Shaft for High-speed Train vol.40, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.11.979
Grant : 소재부품기술기반혁신
Supported by : 한국기계연구원