- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Performance of Carrier Frequency Offset Compensation using CAZAC Code in Time and Spatial Variant Underwater Acoustic Channel
시·공간 변동 수중음향 채널에서 CAZAC 코드를 적용한 반송파 주파수 옵셋 보상 기법의 성능평가
Park, Jihyun;Bae, Minja;Kim, Jongju;Yoon, Jong Rak
- Received : 2016.06.01
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.07.31
In underwater acoustic multipath channel, a performance of underwater acoustic (UWA) communication systems is affected by dynamic variation of boundary and high temporal and spatial variability of the channel conditions. Time and spatial variations of UWA channel induce a carrier frequency offset (CFO) since a phase and a frequency of received signal mismatch with a transmitting signal. Therefore, a performance of a phase shift keying underwater acoustic communication system is degraded. In this study, we have analyzed a performance of CFO estimation and compensation using a phase code in time and spatial variation channel. A constant amplitude zero autocorrelation (CAZAC) signal is applied as a phase code signal and its performance is evaluated in water tank. The bit error rate of a quadrature phase shift keying (QPSK) system with a phase code is improved about 4 to 10 times better than that without a phase code.
Underwater multipath;carrier frequency offset;CAZAC(constant amplitude zero autocorrelation);underwater acoustic communication system
- R. J. Urick, Principles of Underwater Sound, 3th ed. New York, NY:McGraw-Hill, 1983.
- H. Medwin, C. S. Clay, Fundamentals of Acoustical Oceanography, New York, NY:Academic Press Company, 1998.
- Stojanovic, M, Preisig, J., "Underwater acoustic communication channels: Propagation models and statistical characterization," Communications Magazine, IEEE, vol. 47, pp. 84-89, Jan. 2009.
- J. Kim, K. Park, J. Park, and J. R. Yoon, "Coherence bandwidth effects on underwater image transmission in multipath channel," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 07HG05-1-07HG05-5, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.7567/JJAP.50.07HG05
- K. Park, J. Park, S. W. Lee, J. W. Jung, J. Shin and J. R. Yoon, "Performance evaluation of underwater acoustic communication in frequency selective shallow water," Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 95-103, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2013.32.2.095
- J. Park, C. Seo, K. Park, and J. R. Yoon, "Effectiveness of Convolutional Code in Multipath Underwater Acoustic Channel," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 07HG01-1-07HG01-3, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.7567/JJAP.52.07HG01
- D. B. Kilfoyle and A. B. Baggeroer, "The state of the art in underwater acoustic telemetry," IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society, vol. 25, pp. 4-27, Jan. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/48.820733
- L. Liu, Y, Wang, L. Li, X. Zhang and J. Wang, "Design and implementation of channel coding for underwater acoustic system," ASICON '09. IEEE 8th International Conference, Changsha, pp. 497-500, 2009.
- Y. R. Zheng, "Channel Estimation and Phase-Correction for Robust Underwater Acoustic Communications," MILCOM 2007 - IEEE Military Communications Conference, Orlando: FL, pp.1-6, 2007.
- H. Fang, X. Hu and Ru Xu, "An Implementation of time and frequency synchronization for Carrier Interferometry OFDM in and Underwater Acoustic Channel," Circuits, Communications and Systems, 2009. PACCS '09. Pacific-Asia Conference, Chengdu, pp. 23-26, 2009.
- T. S. Rappaport, Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice, 2th ed. New Hersey, NJ:Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- J. G. Proakis, Digital Communications, 4th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1993.
- J. Meng and G. Kang, "A novel OFDM synchronization algorithm based on CAZAC sequence," Proc. Int. Confer. Comput. App. Sys. Modeling (ICCASM), Taiyuan, pp.634-637, 2010.
- X. Hu, R. Xu, W. Wei, J. Liu and Y. Xie, "A novel scheme of Timing Synchronization For OFDM Underwater Communication System," OCEANS 2008 - MTS/IEEE Kobe Techno-Ocean, Kobe, pp. 1-5, 2008.
- J. Tao, Y. R. Zheng, C. Xiao, T. C. Yang and W. Yang, "Channel Estimation, Equalization and Phase Correction for Single Carrier Underwater Acoustic Communications," OCEANS 2008 - MTS/IEEE Kobe Techno-Ocean, Kobe, pp. 1-6, 2008.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology(KIOST)