- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Influence of Tunneling Current on Threshold voltage Shift by Channel Length for Asymmetric Double Gate MOSFET
비대칭 DGMOSFET에서 터널링 전류가 채널길이에 따른 문턱전압이동에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.01.22
- Accepted : 2016.02.17
- Published : 2016.07.31
This paper analyzes the influence of tunneling current on threshold voltage shift by channel length of short channel asymmetric double gate(DG) MOSFET. Tunneling current significantly increases by decrease of channel length in the region of 10 nm below, and the secondary effects such as threshold voltage shift occurs. Threshold voltage shift due to tunneling current is not negligible even in case of asymmetric DGMOSFET to develop for reduction of short channel effects. Off current consists of thermionic and tunneling current, and the ratio of tunneling current is increasing with reduction of channel length. The WKB(Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin) approximation is used to obtain tunneling current, and potential distribution in channel is hermeneutically derived. As a result, threshold voltage shift due to tunneling current is greatly occurred for decreasing of channel length in short channel asymmetric DGMOSFET. Threshold voltage is changing according to bottom gate voltages, but threshold voltage shifts is nearly constant.
asymmetric;tunneling current;channel length;threshold voltage shift;WKB approximation
- Bodnara, 10 nm FinFET added to Samsung Foundry's Process Roadmap [internet]. http://www.bodnara.co.kr/bbs/article.html?num=124108.
- W.S.Cho and K.Roy, "The Effects of Direct Source-to-Drain Tunneling and Variation in the Body Thickness on (100) and (110) Sub-10-nm Si Double-Gate Transistors," IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 427-429, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LED.2015.2413785
- N. Bagga and S.K. Sarkar, "An Analytical Model for Tunnel Barrier Modulation in Triple Metal Double Gate TFET," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 2136-2142, July 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2015.2434276
- Z.Ding, G.Hu, J.Gu, R.Liu, L.Wang and T.Tang, "An analytical model for channel potential and subthreshold swing of the symmetric and asymmetric double-gate MOSFETs," Microelectronics J., vol. 42, pp. 515-519, March 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mejo.2010.11.002
- L.D.Landau and E.M.Lifshitz, Quantum Mechanics, Addison-Wesley, Reading Mass., p.174, 1958.
- D.S.Havaldar, G.Katti, N.DasGupta and A.DasGupta, "Subthreshold Current Model of FinFETs Based on Analytical Solution of 3-D Poisson's Equation," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 737-741, April 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2006.870874
- H.K.Jung, "Analysis for Potential Distribution of Asymmetric Double Gate MOSFET Using Series Function," J. of KIICE, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2621-2626, Nov. 2013.
- Q.Chen, B.Agrawal and J.D.Meindl, "A Comprehensive Analytical Subthreshold Swing(S) Model for Double-Gate MOSFETs," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, vol. 49, no.6, pp.1086-1090, June 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2002.1003757
- M.Stadele, "Influence of source-drain tunneling on the subthreshold behavior of sub-10 nm double gate MOSFETs," in Proc. Eur. Solid-State Device Research Conf.(ESSDERC), Florence, Italy, pp. 135-138, 2002.
- H.K.Jung and O.S.Kwon, "Analysis of Channel Dimension Dependent Threshold Voltage for Asymmetric DGMOSFET," 2014 International Conference on Future Information & Communication Engineering, Hong Kong:HK, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 299-302, 2014.