- Volume 20 Issue 7
In this paper, we present a depth extraction method of integral imaging using correlation between elemental images with phase only filter. Integral imaging is a passive three-dimensional (3D) imaging system records ray information of 3D objects through lenslet array by 2D image sensor, and displays 3D images by using the similar lenslet array. 2D images by lenslet array have different perspectives. These images are referred to as elemental images. Since the correlation can be calculated between elemental images, the depth information of 3D objects can be extracted. To obtain high correaltion between elemental images effectively, in this paper, we use phase only filter. Using this high correlation, the corresponding pixels between elemental images can be found so that depth information can be extracted by computational reconstruction technique. In this paper, to prove our method, we carry out optical experiment and calculate Peak Sidelobe Ratio (PSR) as a correlation metric.
3D integral imaging;correlation;elemental image;linear filter;phase only filter
- C. Wheatstone, "On some remarkable, and hiterto unobserved, phenomena of binocular vision," Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London, vol. 128, pp. 371-394, June, 1838. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstl.1838.0019
- L. Lypton, Foundation of Stereoscopic Cinema, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1982.
- G. Lippmann, "La Photographie Integrale," Comptes-Rendus Academie des Sciences, vol. 146, pp. 446-451, March, 1908.
- S.-H. Hong, J.S. Jang, and B. Javidi, "Three-dimensional volumetric object reconstruction using computational integral imaging," Opt. Exp., vol. 12, pp. 483-491, February, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1364/OPEX.12.000483
- J.-S. Jang and B. Javidi, "Improved viewing resolution of three-dimensional integral imaging by use of nonstationary micro-optics," Opt. Lett., vol. 27, pp. 324-326, March, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.27.000324
- J.-S. Jang and B. Javidi, "Improvement of viewing angle in integral imaging by use of moving lenslet arrays with low fill factor," Appl. Opt., vol. 42, pp. 1996-2002, April, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.42.001996
- J.-S. Jang and B. Javidi, "Large depth-of-focus timemultiplexed three-dimensional integral imaging by use of lenslets with nonuniform focal lengths and aperture sizes," Opt. Lett., vol. 28, pp. 1924-1926, October, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.28.001924
- J.-S. Jang and B. Javidi, "Three-dimensional synthetic aperture integral imaging," Opt. Lett., vol. 27, pp. 1144-1146, July, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.27.001144
- F. Okano, J. Arai, K. Mitani, and M. Okui, "Real-time integral imaging based on extremely high resolution video system," Proc. IEEE, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 490-501, March, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2006.870687
- J. Arai, F. Okano, H. Hoshino, and I. Yuyama, "Gradient index lens array method based on real time integral photography for three dimensional images," Appl. Opt., vol. 37, pp. 2034-2045, April, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.37.002034
- H. Hoshino, F. Okano, H. Isono, and I. Yuyama, "Analysis of resolution limitation of integral photography," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, vol. 15, pp. 2059-2065, August, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.15.002059
- M. Cho, M. Daneshpanah, I. Moon, and B. Javidi, "Three dimensional optical sensing and visualization using integral imaging," Proc. IEEE, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 556-575, April, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2010.2090114
- M. Cho, A. Mahalanobis, and B. Javidi, "3D passive photon counting automatic target recognition using advanced correlation filters," Opt. Lett., vol. 36, pp. 861-863, March, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.36.000861
- Joseph L. Horner and Peter D. Gianino, "Phase-only matched filtering," Appl. Opt., vol. 23, pp. 812-816, March, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.23.000812
- Kenneth R. Castleman, Digital image processing, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1996.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)