- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Salt and Pepper Noise Removal using Linear Interpolation and Spatial Weight value
선형 보간법 및 공간 가중치를 이용한 Salt and Pepper 잡음 제거
- Received : 2016.03.09
- Accepted : 2016.03.24
- Published : 2016.07.31
Although image signal processing is used in many fields, degradation takes place in the process of transmitting image data by several causes. CWMF, A-TMF, and AWMF are the typical methods to eliminate noises from image data damaged under salt and pepper noise environment. However, those filters are not effective for noise rejection under highly dense noise environment. In this respect, the present study proposed an algorithm to remove in salt and pepper noise. In case the center pixel is determined to be non-noise, it is replaced with original pixel. In case the center pixel is noise, it segments local mask into 4 directions and uses linear interpolation to estimate original pixel. And then it applies spatial weight to the estimated pixel. The proposed algorithm shows a high PSNR of 24.56[dB] for House images that had been damaged of salt and pepper noise(P = 50%), compared to the existing CWMF, A-TMF and AWMF there were improvements by 16.46[dB], 12.28[dB], and 12.32[dB], respectively.
Salt and pepper noise;Linear interpolation;Median filter;Noise removal
- R. C. Gonzalez and R.E. woods, Digital Image Processing, 3rd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2008.
- K. N. Plataniotis and A. N. Venetsanopoulos, Color Image Processing and Applications, 1st ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 2000.
- Jung-Hua Wang and Lian-Da Lin, "Improved median filter using min-max algorithm for image processing," Electronics Letters, vol. 33, no. 16, pp. 0146+0152, October 2005.
- Xu Long and Nam-Ho Kim, "A Study on the Spatial Weighted Filter in AWGN Environment," JICCE, vol. 17, no.3, pp.724-729, Mar. 2013.
- Se-Ik Kwon and Nam-Ho Kim, "A Study on Modified Spatial Weighted Filter in Mixed Noise Environments," JICCE, vol. 19, no.1, pp.237-243, Jan. 2015.
- Oten, Remzi and De Figueiredo, Rlui J P, "Adaptive Alpha-Trimmed Mean Filters Under Deviations From Assumed Noise Model," IEEE Trans, Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 627-639, May 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2003.821115
- Xu Long and Nam-Ho Kim, "An Improved Weighted Filter for AWGN Removal," JKIICE, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1227-1232, May 2013.
- Jiahui Wang and Jingxing Hong, "a New Selt-Adaptive Weighted Filter for Removing Noise in Infrared images," IEEE Information Engineering and Computer Science, ICIECS International Conference, pp.1-4, Dec. 2009.