- Volume 32 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Segwon Jeong's Hanok District Developments in 31 and 33 Gahoe-dong, Seoul during the Japanese Colonial Period
정세권의 일제강점기 가회동 31번지 및 33번지 한옥단지 개발
- Lee, Kyung-Ah
- Received : 2016.05.12
- Accepted : 2016.07.04
- Published : 2016.07.30
The purpose of this study was to determine universality and specificity of 31 and 33 Gahoedong, Seoul, which was developed by Segwon Jeong. In Gahoedong, he made south-north direction roads and south-north long blocks and built ㄷ-shaped hanoks which came from Utbangkeokeumjip of Gyeonggi style house like general hanok subdivisions. On the other hand, he divided blocks into lots differently and created various plans such as concentrated-room layout and h-shaped layout unlike other urban hanoks. He tried to improve traditional hanok and experiment new type hanoks in 31 and 33 Gahoedong and it gives the area its own universality and specificity.
Segwon Jeong;Gahoedong;Urban Hanok;House Improvement Movement;Universality;Specificity
- Cho, J. & Choi, C. (2003). A Study on the Transformation of Urban Tissues showed from subdivision and amalgamation of lots in Bukchon, Seoul, Journal of AIK, 19(2), 125-132.
- Chung, J. (2015). Unchanged Regidential Area System in Bukchon, Seoul since the 18th century, The Journal of Seoul Studies, 61, 113-156. https://doi.org/10.17647/jss.2015.11.61.113
- Jeon, B. & Kwon, Y. (2012). Hanok and History of Korean Houses, Seoul, Dongnyok, 158-162.
- Kim, K. & Park, J. (2013). Rethinking Seoul, Seoul, Seohaemunjip, 40 & 49.
- Kim, R. (1989). A Research of Architectural Institutions and Craftmanship in the Modernization Ages of Korea, Seoul, Hongik Univ., 125 & 135 & 216-217 & 221-222.
- Lee, K. (2016). Segwon Jeong's Joongdang-style Hanok, Journal of AIK, 32(2), 171-180.
- O, U. & Seo, H. (2013). A Study on the Relationship between Urban Block Division and Unit Plans of Korea Modern Traditional Style Houses, Journal of Architectural History, 22(3), 7-14.
- Park, C. & Jeon, B. (2002). The Socio-economical Background and Characteristics of Plan of Urban Traditional Housing in Seoul of 1930s, Journal of AIK, 18(7), 95-106.
- Seong, T. & Song, I. (2003). A Study on the Plot-dividing of Urban Traditional Housing Area in 35 Samcheong, Seoul, Journal of AIK, 19(9), 110.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government (2001). Bukchon Hanok Drawings, Seoul, Seoul Metropolitan Government.
- Song, I. (1990). A Study on the Types of Urban Traditional Housing in Seoul from 1930 to 1960, Seoul, Seoul National Univ., 18-19.
- Song, I. (2004). Typomorphological Study on Open-rectangular plan Hanok in the Traditional Urban Housing Neighborhood of Bukchon, Seoul, Journal of Architectural History, 13(4), 125-138.
- Song, I. & Kim, Y. (2005). The Roof Construction Method of Urban Hanok in Bukchon, Seoul, Journal of Architectural History, 14(4), 87-100.
- Song, I. & Jung, K. (2014). A Study on the Process of Land-dividing of Urban-Hanok Area in 11 Gahoe-dong, Seoul, Journal of Architectural History, 23(5), 47-60.
- Yoon, J. (2011). The Evolution of Hanok, Seoul, auri, 43-46 & 56 & 68-80.