- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Perceptions of Organizational Politics and Perceived Work Performance: Focusing on the 3-way interaction Effect of Leader-member Exchange and Self-efficacy
조직정치지각과 지각된 업무성과: 리더-구성원 교환관계와 자기효능감의 삼원조절효과를 중심으로
- 박재춘 (단국대학교 경영학부)
- Received : 2016.04.21
- Accepted : 2016.05.17
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study is to identify the effects of perceptions of organizational politics(i.e., POPs) and leader-member exchange(i.e., LMX) on the perceived work performance. Also, this paper investigates the moderating effect of LMX on the relationship between POPs and work performance. Particularly, this study is to expand on prior research by investigating the three-way interaction effect of LMX and self-efficacy. The summary of results based on a sample of 280 employees who were working in various organizations in KOREA is following. First, POPs were not significantly related to perceived work performance. Second, LMX was positively and significantly related to perceived work performance. Third, LMX did not moderate the negative relationship between POPs and perceived work performance. Finally, our results showed that for individuals with a high level of self-efficacy, LMX moderates the negative relationship between POPs and perceived work performance. That is, for individuals with a high level of self-efficacy, POPs were positively related to work performance under high LMX(in-group), but were negatively related to work performance under low LMX(out-group). Theoretical and practical implications of our findings as well as directions for future research are provided.
Perceptions of Organizational Politics;Leader-member Exchange(LMX);Self-efficacy;Perceived Work Performance;Three-way Interaction Effect
- G. R. Ferris and K. M. Kacmar, "Perceptions of organizational politics," Journal of Management, Vol.18, pp.93-116, 1992.
- P. J. Frost, Power, politics, and influence, In F. Jablin, L. Putnam, K. Roberts, and L. Porter(Eds.), Handbook of organizational communication, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, pp.503-548, 1987.
- 박재춘, "조직정치지각, LMX, 친사회적 발언행동 및 종업원 태도의 관계: 불확실성관리이론 관점에서 LMX 및 친사회적 발언행동의 조절효과를 중심으로," 조직과 인사관리연구, 제40집, 제3권, 2016.
- K. J. Harris, M. C. Andrews, and K. M. Kacmar, "The moderating effects of justice on the relationship between organizational politics and workplace attitudes," Journal of Business Psychology, Vol.22, No.2, pp.135-144, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-007-9054-9
- E. Vigoda-Gadot and I. Talmud, "Organizational politics and job outcomes: the moderating effect of trust and social support," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.40, No.11, pp.2829-2861, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2010.00683.x
- K. J. Harris and K. M. Kacmar, "Easing the strain: The buffer role of supervisors in the perceptions of politics-strain relationship," Journal of Organizational and Occupational Psychology, Vol.78, No.3, pp.337-354, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317905X26110
- T. Kimura, "The Moderating Effects of Political Skill and Leader-Member Exchange on the Relationship Between Organizational Politics and Affective Commitment," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.116, pp.587-599, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1497-x
- C. C. Rosen, K. J. Harris, and K. M. Kacmar, "LMX, context perceptions, and performance: An uncertainty management perspective," Journal of Management, Vol.37, No.3, pp.819-838, 2011.
- A. D. Stajkovic and F. Luthans, "Social cognitive theory and self-efficacy: Going beyond traditional motivational and behavioral approaches," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.26, pp.62-74, 1998.
- H. Mintzberg, Power in and around organizations, Englewoof Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1983.
- K. M. Kacmar and G. R. Ferris, "Perceptions of organizational politics scale (POPS): Development and construct validation," Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.51, pp.193-205, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164491511019
- K. M. Kacmar and D. S. Carlson, "Further validation of the perceptions of politics scale(POPS): A multiple sample investigation," Paper Presented at Academy of Management Meeting, Dallas, Texas, 1994.
- C. H. Chang, C. C. Rosen, and P. E. Levy, "The relationship between perceptions of organizational politics and employee attitudes, strain, and behavior: A meta-analytic examination," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.52, No.4, pp.779-801, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2009.43670894
- B. K. Miller, M. A. Rutherfold, and R. W. Kolodinsky, "Perceptions of organizational politics: A meta-analysis of outcomes," Journal of Business and Psychology, Vol.22, pp.209-222, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-008-9061-5
- F. Dansereau, G. Jr., Graen, and W. J. Haga, "A vertical dyad linkage approach to leadership within formal organizations: A longitudinal investigation of the role making process," Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol.13, No.1, pp.46-78, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(75)90005-7
- 차동욱, 심원술, 서재현, 이호선, 리더십, 한경사, 2011.
- D. Duchon, S. G. Green, and T. D. Taber, "Vertical dyad linkage: A longitudinal assessment of antecedents, measures, and consequences," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.71, pp.56-60, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.1.56
- C. Moorman, G. Zaltman, and R. Deshpande, "Relationships between Providers and users of market research: The dynamics of trust within and between organizations," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.24, pp.314-328, 1992.
- R. P. Setton, N. Bennett, and R. C. Liden, "Social exchange in organizations: Perceived organizational support, leader-member exchange, and employee reciprocity," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.81, pp.219-227, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.81.3.219
- C. R. Gerstner and D. V. Day, "Meta-analytic review of leader-member exchange theory: correlates and construct issues," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.22, pp.789-808, 1997.
- S. Naseer, U. Raja, F. Syed, M. B. L. Donia, and W. Darr, "Perils of being close to a bad environment: Exploring the combined effects of despotic leadership, leader-member exchange, and perceived organizational politics on behaviors," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.27, pp.14-33, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2015.09.005
- 이재원, "조직정치 인식과 조직원 반응 사이에서의 조직기반 자긍심의 조절효과에 대한 연구," 인사.조직연구, 제14권, 제1호, pp.89-116, 2006.
- A. Bandura, Self efficacy: The Exercise of Control, USA, W. H., Freeman Company, 1997.
- K. E. Weick, Sensemaking in organizations, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1995.
- 박재춘, "대상유사성모형으로 본 조직시민행동에 대한 LMX, 조직정치 및 자기효능감의 효과," 한국행정연구, 제22권, 제3호, pp.91-123, 2013.
- D. P. Bozeman, P. L. Perrewe, W. A. Hochwarter, and R. A. Brymer, "Organizational politics, perceived control, and work outcomes: Boundary conditions on the effects of politics," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.31, No.3, pp.486-503, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2001.tb02052.x
- J. C. Magee and A. D. Galinsky, "Social hierarchy: The self-reinforcing nature of power and status," Academy of Management Annals, Vol.2, pp.351-398, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/19416520802211628
- R. C. Liden and J. M. Maslyn, "Multidimensionality of Leader-Member Exchange: An Empirical Assessment through Scale Development," Journal of Management Vol.24, No.1, pp.43-72, 1998.
- W. A. Hochwarter, C. Kacmar, P. L. Perrewe, and D. Johnson, "Perceived organizational support as a mediator of the relationship between politics perceptions and work outcomes," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.63, No.3, pp.438-456, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-8791(02)00048-9
- 박권홍, 긍정심리자본과 리더십 성과, 숭실대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2010.
- A. S. Tsui, J. L. Pearce, L. W. Porter, and A. M. Tripoli, "Alternative approaches to the employee-organization relationship: Does investment in employees pay off?," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.40, No.5, pp.1089-1121, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/256928
- J. Cohen and P. Cohen, Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences, Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1983.
- L. S. Aiken and S. G. West, Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions, Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1991.
- L. D. Molm and K. S. Cook, "Social exchange and exchange networks," In K. S. Cook, G. A. Fine and J. S. House(Eds.), Sociological perspectives on social psychology, Boston: Allyn & Bacon, pp.209-235, 1995.