- Volume 16 Issue 8
This study aimed at investigating the effects of grouping participants in pairs according to their relative vocabulary proficiency on the incidental improvement of vocabulary knowledge. Forty six university students were divided into three groups (high-high(n=14), high-low(n=18), or low-low(n=14)) and took part in the study. They performed three vocabulary activities in pairs as extra-class works. Data were collected from one receptive vocabulary knowledge test scores before treatment and two posttest scores after treatment. The results showed that, unlike former study results, HL dyads acquired more vocabulary receptively and productively than HH or LL dyads did, which demonstrated that collaborative pair activity was conducive to the growth of vocabulary knowledge. Furthermore, not only higher proficiency participants in HL pairs made greater vocabulary gains than participants in HH pairs did but also lower proficiency participants gained more vocabulary than participants in LL pairs did. Based on these results, we discussed pedagogical implications.
Vocabulary Acquisition;Proficiency;Pair Activity;Pair Type;Collaborative Learning;Interaction
- P. Nation, Learning Vocabulary in Another Language 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- D. Wilkins, Linguistics in Language Teaching, London: Edward Arnold, 1972.
- P. Nation, "How Large a Vocabulary is Needed for Reading and Listening?," Canadian Modern Language Review, Vol.63, pp.59-82, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.63.1.59
- N. Schmitt, X. Jiang, and W. Grabe, "The Percentage of Words Known in a Text and Reading Comprehension," The Modern Language Journal, Vol.95, No.1, pp.26-43, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.2011.01146.x
- M. Hu and P. Nation, "Vocabulary Density and Reading Comprehension," Reading in a Foreign Language, Vol.13, No.1, pp.403-430, 2000.
- W. Nagy, R. Anderson, and P. Herman, "Learning Word Meanings from Context during Normal Reading," American Educational Research Journal, Vol.24, No.2, pp.237-270, 1987. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312024002237
- T. Huckin and J. Coady, "Incidental Vocabulary Acquisition in a Second Language," SSLA, Vol.21, pp.181-193, 1999.
- S. Webb, "Receptive and Productive Vocabulary Sizes of L2 Learners," SSLA, Vol.30, pp.79-95, 2008.
- 김금선, 임희주, "초등학교 5학년 영어 교과서 분석: 어휘학습전략 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제4호, pp.435-444, 2014.
- 김성연, 이상희, "한국학생들의 영어 어휘 사용능력 향상을 위한 어휘 지도 방안과 학습 책략," 영어교육연구, 제20권, 제4호, pp.237-259, 2008.
- 이화자, "중.고등학생의 영어 어휘력 신장을 위한 효율적인 교수방법," 영어교육, 제51권, 제2호, pp.77-105, 1996.
- N. Schmitt, Vocabulary Learning Strategies, In N. Schmitt and M. McCarthy (Eds.), Vocabulary: Description, Acquisition, and Pedagogy, pp.199-227, Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- H. D. Brown, Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy 3rd ed., Pearson Education, 2007.
- S. Baleghizadeh, "The Effect of Pair Work on a Word-building Task," ELT Journal, Vol.64, No.4, pp.405-413, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccp097
- Y. J. Kim, "The Contribution of Collaborative and Individual Tasks to the Acquisition of L2 Vocabulary," The Modern Language Journal, Vol.92, pp.114-130, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.2008.00690.x
- H. Nassaji and J. Tian, "Collaborative and Individual Output Tasks and Their Effects on Learning English Phrasal Verbs," Language Teaching Research, Vol.14, No.4, pp.397-419, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362168810375364
- M. Leeser, "Learner Proficiency and Focus on Form during Collaborative Dialogue," Language Teaching Research, Vol.8, No.1, pp.55-81, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1191/1362168804lr134oa
- K. McDonough, "Learner-Learner Interaction During Pair and Small Group Activities in a Thai EFL Context," System, Vol.32, pp.207-224, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2004.01.003
- N. Storch, "Patterns of Interaction in ESL Pair Work," Language Learning, Vol.52, No.1, pp.119-158, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9922.00179
- N. Storch, "Using Activity Theory to Explain Differences in Patterns of Dyadic Interactions in an ESL Class," The Canadian Modern Language Review, Vol.60, No.4, pp.457-480, 2004. https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.60.4.457
- J. Williams, "Learner-generated Attention to Form," Language Learning, Vol.49, No.4, pp.583-625, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/0023-8333.00103
- J. Williams, "The Effectiveness of Spontaneous Attention to Form," System, Vol.29, pp.325-340, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0346-251X(01)00022-7
- M. Long, "Native Speaker/Non-native Speaker Conversation and the Negotiation of Comprehensible Input," Applied Linguistics, Vol.4, No.2, pp.126-141, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/4.2.126
- N. Webb, "Peer Interaction and Learning in Small Groups," International Journal of Educational Research, Vol.13, pp.21-40, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-0355(89)90014-1
- M. Swain and S. Lapkin, "Interaction and Second Language Learning: Two Adolescent French Immersion Students Working Together," Modern Language Journal, Vol.82, pp.320-337, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1998.tb01209.x
- 서예은, 성귀복, "협동학습 기반의 Flipped Learning 모델 활용 수업이 영어성취도 및 태도에 미치는 영향," 영어학, 제15권, 제4호, pp.765-792, 2015.
- Y. Bang, "The Use of Collaborative Work in a College EFL Reading Classroom," English Teaching, Vol.57, No.3, pp.145-168, 2002.
- Y. H. Kim, "How Do University Students Construct Text Meanings through Collaborative Reading?," Journal of Language Sciences, Vol.19, No.2, pp.167-194, 2012.
- F. Kuiken and I. Vedder, "The Effect of Interaction in Acquiring the Grammar of a Second Language," International Journal of Educational Research, Vol.37, pp.343-358, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-0355(03)00009-0
- N. Storch, "Are Two Heads Better than One? Pair Work and Grammatical Accuracy," System, Vol.27, pp.363-374, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0346-251X(99)00031-7
- R. Donato, "Collective Scaffolding in Second Language Learning," In J. P. Lantolf and G. Appel (Eds.), Vygotskian Approaches to Second Language Research, pp.33-56, Norwood, NJ: Ablex, 1994.
- G. Yule and D. Macdonald, "Resolving Referential Conflicts in L2 Interaction: The Effect of Proficiency and Interactive Role," Language Learning, Vol.40, No.4, pp.539-556, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1990.tb00605.x
- L. van Lier, Interaction in the Language Curriculum: Awareness, Autonomy, and Authenticity, Pearson Education Limited, 1996.
- E. M. Varonis and S. Gass, "Non-native/Non-native Conversations: A Model for Negotiation of Meaning," Applied Linguistics, Vol.6, No.1, pp.71-90, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/6.1.71
- Y. Watanabe and M. Swain, "Effects of Proficiency Differences and Patterns of Pair Interaction on Second Language Learning: Collaborative Dialogue between Adult ESL Learners," Language Teaching Research, Vol.11, No.2, pp.121-142, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/136216880607074599
- R. Ellis and R. Heimbach, "Bugs and Birds: Children's Acquisition of Second Language Vocabulary through Interaction," System, Vol.25, No.2, pp.247-259, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0346-251X(97)00012-2
- 장용선, "짝/모둠 활동이 영어 어휘 습득에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제7호, pp.629-642, 2015.
- J. Jeon, "A Study of the Relationship between L1 Lemma Influence and L2 Vocabulary Acquisition," English Language Teaching, Vol.25, No.1, pp.43-62, 2013. https://doi.org/10.17936/pkelt.2013.25.1.003
- N. Schmitt, D. Schmitt, and C. Clapham, "Developing and Exploring the Behavior of Two New Versions of the Vocabulary Level Test," Language Testing, Vol.18, pp.55-88, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/026553220101800103
- D. Wood, J. S. Bruner, and G. Ross, "The Role of Tutoring in Problem Solving," Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol.17, pp.89-100, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1976.tb00381.x