- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Determinants Influencing Technology Transfer in Government Funded Research Institutes: Focusing on Features of National R&D Projects
정부출연연구기관의 기술이전 영향 요인 분석: 국가 R&D 과제 특성을 중심으로
- Received : 2016.07.11
- Accepted : 2016.08.11
- Published : 2016.08.28
Among various types of public research institutes (PRI), the government-funded research institutes (GRIs) are having a difficult time in enhancing the efficiency of technology transfer. This study specifically analyzed 1,163 projects conducted by GRIs from 2009~2013 to ascertain the determinants that affect technology transfer process. Along with conducting qualitative analysis on relevant researches, we examined the hypotheses by relying on quantitative analysis, using national R&D data from National Science and Technology Information Service (NTIS). As a result of the analysis, we found that whether or not the project generated applied patent, the royalty varied. Also, depending on different R&D development stage, a number of researchers and the amount of R&D funding, the royalty varied. Finally, we derived that out of all the independent variables, a number of applied patents, a number of researchers and the amount of R&D funds can affect the royalty generated from technology transfer. Based on such results we suggest several policy implications.
Technology Transfer;R&D Phase;NTIS;Government-funded Research Institute
Grant : Maximizing the Value of National Science and Technology by Strengthening the Sharing/collaboration of National R&D information
Supported by : 한국과학기술정보연구원
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, http://www.oecd.org
- National research council of science and technology, http://www.nst.re.kr
- C. H. Choi, Korea Institute of Science & Technology Evaluation and Planning Issue Paper, 2011-19.
- M. S. Kim, A Study on Efficiency Plan of Technology Transfer of National R&D Projects, Science and Technology Management policy, University of Science and Technology, 2015.
- K. J. Lee and S. S. Kim, Korea Institute of Science & Technology Evaluation and Planning Issue paper, Vol.2015, No.05, 2015.
- E. M. Rogers, S. Takegami, and J. Yin, Lessons Learned about Technology Transfer, Technovation, 2001.
- H. Chesbrough, W. Vanhaverbeke, and J. West, Open Innovation: Researching a New Paradigm, Oxford University Press, p.373, 2006.
- C. Y. Lim and Y. J. Lee, "An Analysis for Success Factors of Technology Transfer," Science & Technology Evaluation and Policy Institute, Vol.11, pp.1-183, 2007.
- J. Friedman and J. Silberman "University Technology Transfer: Do Incentives, Management, and Location Matter?," Journal of Technology Transfer, Vol.28, pp.17-30, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021674618658
- H. D. Hwang and S. Y. Jung, "Ways to spur the technology transfer process: Focusing specifically on researcher K," Korea Technology Innovation Journal Vol.18, No.2, pp.318-337, 2015.
- J. K. Song, Science and Technology Policy Institute, Vol.21, No.3, 2011.
- S. J. Lee and T. Y. Kim. "A Study on Determinants of National R&D projects: With the Focus on the National R&D for the Competitiveness Enhancement of the Parts and Materials Industry," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol.18. No.12, pp.590-620, 2015.
- J. W. Min and Y. J. Kim, "A Study of Success Factors in Public Technology Transfer: The Implications of Licensee's Motivation," doctoral dissertation, Department of Management of Technology, Journal of Intellectual Property, Vol.10, No.2, pp.225-256, 2015.
- S. M. Khayat, "Factors Affecting Technology Transfer in the Philippines Food Processing Industry," J Food Process Technology, Vol.6, No.5, 2015
- S. M. Nah, C. O. Kim, and H. S. Lee, "A Comparative Study of the Effect of University Competence on Technology Transfer and Commercialization and start-ups," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.40, No.5, pp.462-476, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2014.40.5.462
- M. S. Kim, S. M. Yeon, J. S. Kim, and B. H. Lee, "Analysis of Factors Influencing the Performance of Technology Transfer on National R&D by Research Actors," Journal of Korea Contents Association, Vol.15, No.11, pp.559-570, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.11.559
- G. W Lee, H. B. Lee, and I. H Jang, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Evaluation Planning: Issue paper, 2012.
- Metal Innovation and Technology Transfer Centre, http://ccnb.ca/entrepreneurship-et-innovation/research-and-industrial-services /centresand-specialized-services/mittc.aspx
- J. C. Kwan, J. B. Moon, W. J. Yoo, and C. G. Lee, "Achievement Characteristic Analysis for Large Scale Government R&D projects Focusing on 21st Century Frontier R&DProgram," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol.15, No.1, pp.185-202, 2012.
- J. K. Ngoie, "Federal Research Spending and Innovation in the US Economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol.36, No.3, pp.492-506, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpolmod.2014.01.010
- C. H. Kim and H. W. Park, "The Role of Technology Valuation in Technology Transfer of Universities," Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol.16, No.3, pp.754-783, 2013.
- W. J. Shim and E. S. Kim, "Diversified Analysis of the Correlation between Investment and Performance of Korean R&D Programs," Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol.13, No.1, pp.1-27, 2010.
- S. Y. Moon, A Study on the Effectiveness of R&D management of General Research Grant Program Based on the Analysis of Relationship between R&D Input Factors and Outputs, Department of Business Administration Graduate School, Chungnam National University, 2007.
- C. H. Kim and S. D Lee, "A Study on Relationships between Performance of University-Industry Cooperation and Competency Factors of University," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol.10, No.4, pp.629-653, 2007.
- J. Bercovitz, M. Feldman, I. Feller, and R. Burton, "Organizational Structure as a Determinant of Academic Patent and Licensing Behavior: An Exploratory Studin of Duke, Johns Hopkins, and Pennsyvania State Universities," Journal of Technology Transfer, Vol.26, pp.21-35, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007828026904
- D. B. Audretsch, E. E. Lehmann, and M. Wright, "Technology Transfer In a Global Economy," Journal of Technology Transfer, Vol.39, pp.301-312, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-012-9283-6