- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Development and Validation Study of the Work-Life Balance Organizational Culture Scale
일과 삶의 균형 조직문화 척도 개발 및 타당화 연구
- Received : 2016.06.08
- Accepted : 2016.06.23
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purposes of this study were to develop work-life balance supportive organizational culture scale(WLB supportive organizational culture) and to verify it's validity. We reviewed comprehensive studies about work-life balance and organizational culture as well as scales related to them. We theoretically extracted some important factors of WLB organizational culture from reviews and then made 38 preliminary questions. 773 married workers in their 30s to 50s were responded to a questionnaire consisted of 38 preliminary questions and 9 variables(work-life balance, quality of life, job satisfaction, turnover etc) for criterion related validity verification. As the results of factor analysis such as EFA and CFA, we could confirm five factors including WLB organizational management, WLB supportive supervisors, empathetic communication with coworkers, coworkers' material support to WLB and accessibility to WLB programs. Second, correlation analyses were performed to investigate the validation of this scale. In result, it was revealed that the WLB supportive organizational culture scale was highly correlated with other family supportive organizational culture measures as well as dependent variables such as work-life balance, quality of life, job satisfaction, turnover. We expect this study contribute to improve the quality of studies about work-life balance and organizational culture.
Organizational Culture;Work-life Balance;Work-family Conflict;Job Satisfaction;Turnover
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 김정운, 박정열, 손영미, 일과 삶의 조화 척도 개발, 서울: 문화관광부, 2006.
- 전은선, "여성의 경력유지 및 복귀를 위한 일과 삶의 균형(WLB, Work-Life Balance) 정책 사례연구," SSK-Networking 제 3차 심포지엄(차세대 사회과학자 학술대회) 발표집, 2016.
- 김인선, 이동명, "조직의 지원환경이 일-가족 갈등에 미치는 영향," 산업관계연구, 제19권, 제2호, pp.67-94, 2009.
- 손영미, 김정운, 박정열, "중앙공무원의 일과 삶의 균형에 대한 조직 및 개인변인의 영향력 검증 연구," 여가학연구, 제9권, 제1호, pp.101-131, 2011.
- T. D. Allen, "Family-supportive work environments: The role of organizational perceptions," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.58, pp.414-435, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2000.1774
- C. Ozeki, The effects of a family-supportive work environment on work-to-family conflict, family-to-work conflict, and emotional exhaustion- Dose income level matter?, Unpublished doctored dissertation, 2003.
- E. Galinsky and P. J. Stein, "The impact of human resource policies on employees," Journal of Family Issues, Vol.11, pp.368-383, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/019251390011004002
- L. Thomas and D. C. Ganster, "Impact of family-supportive work variables on work-family conflict and strain: A control perspective," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.80, pp.6-15, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.80.1.6
- C. A. Thompson, L. L. Beauvais, and K. S. Lyness, "When work-faily benefits are not enough: The influence of work-family culture on benefit utilization, organizational attachment, and work-family conflict," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.54, pp.392-415, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1998.1681
- A. Feierabend, P. Mahler, and B. Staffelbach, "Are there spillover effecs of a family supportive work environment on employees without childcare responsibilities?," Management Revue, Vol.2, No.2, pp.188-209, 2011.
- N. Glaveli, E. Karassavidou, and K. Zafiropoulos, "Relationships among three facets of family-supportive work environments, work-family conflict and job satisfaction: A research in Greece," The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.24, No.20, pp.3757-3771, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2013.778317
- 이세인, 이숙현, 권영인, "가족의 지원 및 가족친화적 조직 문화가 사무직 취업모의 일-가정 갈등에 미치는 영향," 한국가족관계학회지, 제12권, 제3호, pp.29-57, 2007.
- 손영미, 박정열, "기혼여성근로자의 일-가족 전이에 미치는 조직문화와 지원제도의 영향력 비교," 한국웰니스학회지, 제9권, 제4호, pp.111-125, 2014.
- 이유덕, 송광선, "가족친화경영, 직무특성, 가족특성, 그리고 일과 삶의 조화," 인적자원관리연구, 제16권, 제4호, pp.213-236, 2009.
- 이세인, 취업모의 일-가족 갈등과 가족친화적 조직문화, 연세대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2006.
- J. Walsh, "Gender, the work-life interface and wellbeing: A study of hospital doctors," Gender, Work and Organization, Vol.20, No.4, pp.439-453, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0432.2012.00593.x
- K. Hopkins, "Supervisor Support and Work-Life Integration," E. Kossek & S. Lambert (Eds.), Work and life integration in organizations: New directions for theory and practice. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc., 2005.
- C. L. Colton, The role of informal organizational work-family support in the use of formal work-family supports and associated outcomes. Unpublished doctored dissertation, Portland, OR: Portland State University, 2004.
- R. F. AbuAlRub, "Work and nonwork social support and intent to stay at work among Jordonian hospital nurses," International Nursing Review, Vol.57, pp.195-201, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00768.x
- 송다영, 장수정, 김은지, 일가족양립지수 개발 및 적용방안 연구, 한국여성정책연구원 연구보고서, 2008.
- 배미령, 기업의 일과 삶의 조화(Work and Life Balance) 수준 진단을 위한 평가도구 개발 연구, 숙명여자대학교, 석사학위논문, 2008.
- H. Schneider, I. Gerlach, H. Wieners, and J. Heinze, "Der berufundfamilie-Index - ein Instrument zur Messung des betrieblichen Familienbewusstseins. Munster" / Berlin: Forschungszentrum Familienbewusste Personalpolitik(FFP), 2008.
- 김정운, 박정열, "일과 삶의 균형(Work-Life Balance) 척도 개발을 위한 연구," 여가학연구, 제5권, 제3호, pp.53-69, 2008.
- E. Diener, R. A. Emmons, R. J. Larsen, and S. Griffin, "The satisfaction with life scale," Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol.49, No.1, pp.71-75, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- A. Brayfield and H. Roth, "An index of job satisfaction," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.35, pp.307-311, 1951. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0055617
- J. Meyer and N. Allen, Commitment in the Workplace: Theory, Research, and Application, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc., 1997.
- C. Simmons, J. Cochran, and W. Blount, "The effects of job-related stress and job satisfaction on probation officers' inclinations to quit," American Journal of Criminal Justice, Vol.21, No.2, pp.213-229, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02887450
- 박정열, 손영미, 신규리, "비효율적 업무문화와 경력단절과의 관계에서 일-가정전이의 매개효과:전일제 기혼여성근로자를 대상으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제8호, pp.280-292, 2015.
- R. H. Hoyle and A. T. Panter, "Writing about structural equation models," In R. H. Hoyle (Ed.), Structural equation modeling: Concepts, issues, and applications, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp.158-176, 1995.
- 우종필, 구조방정식모델 개념과 이해, 서울: 한나래, 2012.
- R. P. Bagozzi and Y. Yi, "On the evaluation of structural equation models," Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.16, pp.74-94, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
- D. Barclay, C. Higgins, and R. Thompson, "The partial least squares (pls) approach to causal modeling: Personal computer adoption and use as an illustration," Technology Studies, Vol.2, No.2, pp.285-309, 1995.
- W. W. Chin, "The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling", In G. A. Marcoulides (ed.), Modern methods for business research, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, London, pp.295-336, 1998.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcher, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- J. M. Harr and M. A. Roche, "Family supportive organization perceptions and employee outcomes: The mediating effects of life satisfaction," The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.21, No.7, pp.999-1014, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585191003783462
- C. A. Thompson, E. W. Jahn, R. E. Kopelman, and D. J. Prottas, "Perceived organizational family support: a longitudinal and multilevel analysis," Journal Management, Vol.16, pp.545-565, 2004.