- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Longitudinal Data Analysis for School-aged Adolescents' Obesity Rates across the States
미국 청소년의 비만에 관한 종단적 분석
- Kim, TaeEung (Indiana University Department of Applied Health Science) ;
- Kim, Jongho ;
- Hwang, Sunhwan
- Received : 2016.05.10
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.08.28
The objectives of this research is to examine: 1) how the rates of adolescents' BMI change over time in terms of the state level; and 2) development difference in the state level of BMI in terms of children's obesogenic behaviors from 1999 to 2011. Data were drawn from the 1999-2011 Youth Risk Behavior Survey in the United States (N=260, 293, grades 9-12, and 27 states). Ordinary least squares regression and hierarchical linear modeling were utilized to capture a longitudinal time effect of school-aged adolescents' obesity rates across the states, controlling for demographics and nutrition- and physical activity-related behaviors. The state's level of children's BMI percentile was significantly associated with longitudinal time. Longitudinal time effect across the states appears to play an important factor associated with children's decrease of BMI percentile. Therefore the states' implementation of physical activity and nutritional policies seems to be effective for preventing and reducing childhood obesity during last decade. More attention should focus on enforcing the policy and overcoming current barriers in order to minimize children's obesogenic factor.
Childhood Obesity;Longitudinal Data Analysis;States;Physical Activity;Nutrition
- A. E. Field, S. B. Austin, C. B. Taylor, S. Malspeis, B. Rosner, H. R. Rockett, and G. A. Colditz, "Relation between dieting and weight change among preadolescents and adolescents," Pediatrics, Vol.112, No.4, pp.900-906, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.112.4.900
- A. H. YoussefAgha, D. K. Lohrmann, and W. P. Jayawardene, "Use of data mining to reveal body mass index (BMI): patterns among Pennsylvania schoolchildren, pre-k to grade 12," Journal of School Health, Vol.83, No.2, pp.85-92, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12002
- A. S. Alberga, E. R. Medd, K. B. Adamo, G. S. Goldfield, D. Prud'homme, G. P. Kenny, and R. J. Sigal, "Top 10 practical lessons learned from physical activity interventions in overweight and obese children and adolescents," Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, Vol.38, No.3, pp.249-258, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2012-0227
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/, 2011.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Healthy Weight. About BMI for Children and Teens: What is a BMI percentile? Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html, 2009.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Prevalence of Overweight Among Children and Adolescents Ages 6-19 Years. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/hestats/over99fig1.htm, 2009a.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2012 Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/data/index.htm, 2012.
- C. S. Berkey, H. R. Rockett, A. E. Rockett, M. W. Gillman, A. L. Frazier, C. A. Jr. Camargo, and G. A. Colditz, "Activity, dietary intake, and weight changes in a longitudinal study of preadolescent and adolescent boys and girls," Pediatrics, Vol.105, No.4, pp.56-66, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.105.4.e56
- C. Villarejo, F. Fernandez-Aranda, S. Jimenez-Murcia, E. Penas-Lledo, R. Granero, E. Penelo, and J. M. Menchon, "Lifetime Obesity in Patients with Eating Disorders: Increasing Prevalence, Clinical and Personality Correlates," European Eating Disorders Review, Vol.20, No.3, pp.250-254, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/erv.2166
- D. K. Eaton, L. Kann, S. Kinchen, S. Shanklin, J. Ross, and J. Hawkins, "Youth risk behavior surveillance--United States, 2007. Morbidity and mortality weekly report," Surveillance summaries, Vol.57, No.4, pp.1-131, 2008.
- D. R. Rhoades, S. Al-Oballi Kridli, and B. Penprase, "Understanding overweight adolescents' beliefs using the theory of planned behaviour," International Journal of Nursing Practice, Vol.17, No.6, pp.562-570, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2011.01971.x
- D. Yeste and A. Carrascosa, "Obesity-related metabolic disorders in childhood and adolescence," Anales De Pediatria, Vol.75, No.2, pp.131-139, 2011.
- E. Bonsergent, N. Agrinier, N. Thilly, S. Tessier, K. Legrand, E. Lecomte, and S. Briancon, "Overweight and obesity prevention for adolescents: a cluster randomized controlled trial in a school setting," Am J Prev Med, Vol.44, No.1, pp.30-39, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2012.09.055
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, "Overweight, Obesity, and Mortality from Cancer in a Prospectively Studied Cohort of U.S. Adults," New England Journal of Medicine, Vol.348, No.17, pp.1625-1638, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa021423
- E. Rawlins, G. Baker, M. Maynard, and S. Harding, "Perceptions of healthy eating and physical activity in an ethnically diverse sample of young children and their parents: the DEAL prevention of obesity study," Journal of Human Nutriton Diet, Vol.26, No.2, pp.132-144, 2013.
- J. Ekberg, M. Angbratt, L. Valter, M. Nordvall, and T. Timpka, "History matters: childhood weight trajectories as a basis for planning community-based obesity prevention to adolescents. International Journal of Obesity," Vol.36, No.4, pp.524-528, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2011.263
- J. J. Heckman, "Policies to foster human capital," Research in Economics, Vol.54, No.1, pp.3-56, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1006/reec.1999.0225
- J. J. Reilly and J. Kelly, "Long-term impact of overweight and obesity in childhood and adolescence on morbidity and premature mortality in adulthood: systematic review," International Journal of Obesity, Vol.35, No.7, pp.891-898, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2010.222
- J. Van Cleave, S. L. Gortmaker, and J. M. Perrin, "Dynamics of obesity and chronic health conditions among children and youth," JAMA, Vol.303, No.7, pp.623-630, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2010.104
- K. Casazza, and M. Ciccazzo, "Improving the Dietary Patterns of Adolescents Using a Computer-Based Approach," Journal of School Health, Vol.76, No.2, pp.43-46, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2006.00067.x
- K. M. Flegal, B. I. Graubard, D. F. Williamson, and M. H. Gail, "Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity," JAMA, Vol.293, No.15, pp.126-138, 2005.
- K. K. Davison, and L. L. Birch, "Childhood overweight: a contextual model and recommendations for future research," Obes Rev, Vol.2, No.3, pp.159-171, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-789x.2001.00036.x
- L. Zhu, and B. Thomas, "School-based obesity policy, social capital, and gender differences in weight control behaviors," Journal of Public Health, Vol.103, No.6, pp.1067-1073, 2013.
- L. J. Lloyd, S. C. Langley-Evans, and S. McMullen, "Childhood obesity and risk of the adult metabolic syndrome: a systematic review," International Journal of Obesity, Vol.36, No.1, pp.1-11, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2011.186
- M. Story, K. M. Kaphingst, and S. French, "The role of schools in obesity prevention," Future Child, Vol.16, No.1, pp.109-142, 2007.
- P. Gordon-Larsen, L. S. Adair, and B. M. Popkin, "Ethnic differences in physical activity and inactivity patterns and overweight status," Obesity Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp.141-149, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2002.23
- R. Cornette, "The Emotional Impact of Obesity on Children," Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, Vol.5, No.3, pp.136-141, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6787.2008.00127.x
- R. E. Andersen, C. J. Crespo, S. J. Bartlett, L. J. Cheskin, and M. Pratt, "Relationship of physical activity and television watching with body weight and level of fatness among children: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey," JAMA, Vol.279, No.12, pp.938-942, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.279.12.938
- R. G. McMurray, J. S. Harrell, S. Deng, C. B. Bradley, L. M. Cox, and S. I. Bangdiwala, "The influence of physical activity, socioeconomic status, and ethnicity on the weight status of adolescents," Obesity Research, Vol.8, No.2, pp.130-139, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2000.14
- R. M. O'Brien, P. R. Nader, R. M. Houts, R. Bradley, S. L. Friedman, J. Belsky, and E. Susman, "The ecology of childhood overweight: a 12-year longitudinal analysis," International Journal of Obesity, Vol.31, No.9, pp.1469-1478, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803611
- R. M. O'Brien, "A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inflation factors," Quality & quantity, Vol.41, No.5, pp.673-690, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-006-9018-6
- S. B. Sisson, S. T. Broyles, B. L. Baker, and P. T. Katzmarzyk, "Television, reading, and computer time: correlates of school-day leisure-time sedentary behavior and relationship with overweight in children in the U.S," Journal of Physical Activity Health, Vol.8, No.2, pp.188-197, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.8.s2.s188
- S. L. Williams, and W. K. Mummery, "Associations between adolescent nutrition behaviours and adolescent and parent characteristics," Nutrition & Dietetics, Vol.69, No.2, pp.95-101, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-0080.2012.01581.x
- S. Russell-Mayhew, G. McVey, A. Bardick, and A. Ireland, "Mental Health,Wellness, and Childhood Overweight/Obesity," Journal of Obesity, pp.1-9, 2012.
- T. L. McKenzie, and M. A. F. Lounsbery, "School Physical Education: The Pill Not Taken," American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, Vol.3, No.3, pp.219-225, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1559827609331562
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Overweight and obesity, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC: 2007.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2008 physical activity guidelines for Americans. U.S. Government Printing Office. Washington, DC, 2008.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, The Surgeon general's vision for a healthy and fit nation.: Office of the Surgeon General, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Rockville, MD, 2010.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Physical activity and fitness. In Healthy People 2010 (2nded.). with urstanding and improving health and objectives for improving health(vols.1-2), U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 2000.
- W. H. Dietz, and S. L. Gortmaker, "Preventing obesity in children and adolescents," Annu Rev Public Health, Vol.22, pp.337-353, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.22.1.337
- W. M. Slusser, W. G. Cumberland, B. L. Browdy, L. Lange, and C. Neumann, "A school salad bar increases frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption among children living in low-income households," Public Health Nutrition, Vol.10, No.12, pp.1490-1496, 2007.
- X. Z. He and D. W. Baker, "Body mass index, physical activity, and the risk of decline in overall health and physical functioning in late middle age," Am J Public Health, Vol.94, No.9, pp.1567-1573, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.94.9.1567