- Volume 66 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Emotional Appeals in Fair Trade Apparel Advertisements - The Interaction Effect of Advertising Channel and the Mediation Effect of PCE -
공정무역 의류 광고에서 정서 소구의 효과 - 광고채널의 조절효과와 PCE의 매개효과 분석 -
- Lee, Joeun (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Yuri (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design/The Research Institute of Human Ecology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2016.03.19
- Accepted : 2016.06.30
- Published : 2016.08.31
This study investigated the effect of emotional appeals on consumers' attitude towards fair trade apparel advertisements, and their intention to purchase those fair trade apparels. The interaction effect of the advertising channel and the mediation effect of perceived consumer effectiveness(PCE) were examined. Four stimuli were manipulated using two types of emotions(positive/negative) and two types of advertising channels(magazine/SNS) were used to analyze consumers' reaction. The results demonstrated the significant differences in attitude towards ads and purchase intention according to the types of emotional appeals used in fair trade apparel ads. However, the interaction effect between the types of emotion and advertising channels was not identified. The results of mediation analysis showed that positive emotion influenced purchase intention directly without forming a favorable attitude towards the ads, whereas negative emotion had no significant influence on attitude towards the ads and purchase intention. The results also identified that PCE mediated between emotion elicited by ads and purchase intention. This study suggests that delivering images and messages that creates positive emotion should be considered when fair trade ads are produced. In addition, fair trade ads need to be devised to enhance PCE by emphasizing that ethical choices of individual consumers can change the working environment of manufacturing countries.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 서울대학교
- Aaker, D. A., Stayman, D. M., & Hagerty, M. R. (1986). Warmth in advertising: Measurement, impact, and sequence effects. Journal of Consumer Research, 12(4), pp. 365-381. https://doi.org/10.1086/208524
- Albers-Miller, N. D. & Stafford, M. R. (1999). An international analysis of emotional and rational appeals in services vs. goods advertising. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 16(1), pp. 42-57. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769910250769
- Antonetti, P. & Maklan, S. (2014). Feelings that make a difference: How guilt and pride convince consumers of the effectiveness of sustainable consumption choices. Journal of Business Ethics, 124(1), pp. 117-134. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-013-1841-9
- Bagozzi, R. P., Gopinath, M., & Nyer, P. U. (1999). The role of emotions in marketing. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 27(2), pp. 184-206. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070399272005
- Bagozzi, R. P. & Moore, D. J. (1994). Public service advertisements:Emotions and empathy guide prosocial behavior. Journal of Marketing, 58(1), pp. 56-70.
- Bandura, A. (1982). Self-efficacy mechanism in human agency. American Psychologist, 37(2), pp. 122-147. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.37.2.122
- Batra, R. & Ray, M. L. (1986). Affective responses mediating acceptance of advertising. Journal of Consumer Research, 13(2), pp. 234-249. https://doi.org/10.1086/209063
- Batra, R. & Stayman, D. M. (1990). The role of mood in advertising effectiveness. Journal of Consumer Research, 17(2), pp. 203-214. https://doi.org/10.1086/208550
- Bray, J., Johns, N., & Kilburn, D. (2011). An exploratory study into the factors impeding ethical consumption. Journal of Business Ethics, 98(4), pp. 597-608. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0640-9
- Brennan, L. & Binney, W. (2010). Fear, guilt, and shame appeals in social marketing. Journal of Business Research, 63(2), pp. 140-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.02.006
- Berger, I. E. & Corbin, R. M. (1992). Perceived consumer effectiveness and faith in others as moderators of environmentally responsible behaviors. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 11(2), pp. 79-89.
- Bower, G. H. & Cohen, P. R. (1982). Emotional influences on memory and thinking: Data and theory. In S. Fiske & M. Clark (Eds.), Affect and cognition (pp. 291-331). Hillsdale, USA.: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Burke, M. C. & Edell, J. A. (1989). The impact of feelings on ad-based affect and cognition. Journal of Marketing Research, pp. 69-83.
- Carrington, M. J., Neville, B. A., & Whitwell, G. J. (2010). Why ethical consumers don't walk their talk: Towards a framework for understanding the gap between the ethical purchase intentions and actual buying behaviour of ethically minded consumers. Journal of Business Ethics, 97(1), pp. 139-158. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0501-6
- Cha, T. H. & Ha, J. Y. (2010). Why do consumers purchase fair trade products?: Exploratory study. Journal of Consumption Culture, 13(1), pp. 1-20.
- Chang, C. T. (2012). Are guilt appeals a panacea in green advertising? The right formula of issue proximity and environmental consciousness. International Journal of Advertising, 31(4), pp. 741-771. https://doi.org/10.2501/IJA-31-4-741-771
- Chang, Y. H. (2012). A study on the marketing performance using social media -Comparison between portal advertisement, blog, and SNS channel characteristics and performance-. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 10(8), pp. 119-133.
- Chaudhuri, A. (2006). Emotion and reason in consumer behavior, Berlington, USA.: Elsevier.
- Damasio, A. R. (2000). The feeling of what happens:Body, emotion and the making of consciousness. London, U. K.: Vintage.
- Edell, J. A. & Burke, M. C. (1987). The power of feelings in understanding advertising effects. Journal of Consumer Research, 14(3), pp. 421-433. https://doi.org/10.1086/209124
- Ekman, P. & Friesen, W. V. (2003). Unmasking the face: A guide to recognizing emotions from facial clues, Los Altos, USA.: Malor Books.
- Ellen, P. S., Wiener, J. L., & Cobb-Walgren, C. (1991). The role of perceived consumer effectiveness in motivating environmentally conscious behaviors. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 10(2), pp. 102-117.
- Fairtrade International [Fair Trade Glossary] (2011). Ret rieved from http://www.fairtrade.net/fileadmin/user_upload/content/2009/about_fairtrade/2011-06-28_fair-trade-glossary_WFTO-FLO-FLOCERT.pdf.
- Fairtrade International [Annual Report 2009-10] (2009). Retrieved from, http://www.fairtrade.net/fileadmin/user_upload/content/2009/resources/FLO_Annual-Report-2009_komplett_double_web.pdf.
- Fine, S. (1990). Social Marketing. Boston, USA.: Allyn & Bacon Inc.
- Friestad, M. & Thorson, E. (1986). Emotion-eliciting advertising: Effects on long term memory and judgment. Advances in Consumer Research, 13(1), pp. 111-116.
- Gaudine, A. & Thorne, L. (2001). Emotion and ethical decision-making in organizations. Journal of Business Ethics, 31, pp. 175-187. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010711413444
- George, J. M. & Brief, A. P. (1992). Feeling good-doing good: A conceptual analysis of the mood at work-organizational spontaneity relationship. Psychological Bulletin, 112(2), pp. 310-329. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.112.2.310
- Ham, S. Y. & Cho, C. H. (2014). A study on advertising effectiveness of fair trade messages: Focusing on consumer ethics, self-monitering, and social proof message. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 25(1), pp. 267-288. https://doi.org/10.14377/KJA.2014.1.15.267
- Han, S. M. (2013). Study on SNS-based CSR advertisement on advertisement and corporate attitude (unpublished master's thesis). Hongik University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Hayes, A. F. (2009). Beyond Baron and Kenny: Statistical mediation analysis in the new millen-nium. Communication Monographs, 76(4), pp. 408-420. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637750903310360
- Heath, R., Brandt, D., & Nairn, A. (2006). Brand relationships: Strengthened by emotion, weakened by attention. Journal of Advertising Research, 46(4), p. 410. https://doi.org/10.2501/S002184990606048X
- Holbrook, M. B. & Batra, R. (1987). Assessing the role of emotions as mediators of consumer responses to advertising. Journal of consumer research, 14(3), pp. 404-420. https://doi.org/10.1086/209123
- Izard, C. E. (1992). Basic emotions, relations among emotions, and emotion-cognition relations. Psychological Review, 99, pp. 561-565. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.99.3.561
- Jeon, D. M. (1997). The drama's imitation and the effects of advertisement (Unpublished master's thesis). Dankook University. Seoul. Republic of Korea.
- Jeong, E. J., Lee, Y. J., Ryu, S. H. & Jang, Y. B. (2013). The effects of psychological distance on consumer response to eWOM. Korean Journal of Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 14(2), pp. 365-383.
- Johar, J. S. & Sirgy, M. J. (1991). Value-expressive versus utilitarian advertising appeals: When and why to use which appeal. Journal of Advertising, 20(3), pp. 23-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1991.10673345
- Kaplan, A. M. & Haenlein, M. (2010). Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media. Business Horizons, 53(1), pp. 59-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003
- Kazmi, S. & Batra, S. K. (2009). Advertising and sales Promotion. New Delhi, India: Excel Books.
- Kim, H. S., Hong, B. S., & Jo, E. Y. (2000). Emotional response to apparel advertisements and consumer values: A cross-cultural study. Journal of Shopping Center Research, 7(2), pp. 81-100.
- Kim, S. H. & Lee, S. H., (1998). The influence of personal argumentativeness on the effectiveness of comparative advertising. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 9(2), pp. 31-52.
- Kim, S. R. (2009). Analysis of ethical and environmental premium of fairtrade products (Unpublished master's thesis), Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Kim, Y. H. (2009). The influence of CSR activity Ad and relevance between corporate and CSR activity on change in corporate image; Moderating role of perception about corporate's prior image and CSR Ad type. Journal of Media Economics and Culture, 7(4), pp. 96-146.
- Kim, J. W., Kim, S. M., Kim, E, J., & Choi, S. H. (2010). An empirical study of the effects of corporate social responsibility fitness of small and medium enterprise on corporate reputation and purchase intention. Journal of the Korea Society Industrial Information System, 15(5), pp. 247-258.
- Kim, N. K. (2011). The rise of ethical consumers. LG Business Insight, March, (pp. 24-32). Seoul, Republic of Korea: LG Economic Research Institute.
- Kruglanski, A. W. & Higgins, E. T. (2013). Social psychology: Handbook of basic principles. New York, USA: Guilford Publications.
- Kwon, Y. H. (2010). The study on the effect of fit between quality management and CSR to business performance. Korean Journal of Business Administration, 23(5), pp. 2775-2792.
- Lee, J. E., Yu, D. H., & Jeon, Y. H. (2012). The influence of fit and consistency of CSR activities on consumers' corporate evaluation: Focusing on the role of CSR support. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 23(1), pp. 319-341.
- Lee, S. J. & Seo, E. K. (1996). A study affection ressponse on clothing advertisement effect. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 28, pp. 187-203.
- MacCarthy, B. L. & Jayarathne, P. (2012). Sustainable collaborative supply networks in the international clothing industry: A comparative analysis of two retailers. Production Planning & Control, 23(4), pp. 252-268. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2011.627655
- McKenna, K. Y., Green, A. S., & Gleason, M. E. (2002). Relationship formation on the Internet:What's the big attraction? Journal of Social Issues, 58(1), pp. 9-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-4560.00246
- Mehta, A. & Purvis, S. C. (2006). Reconsidering recall and emotion in advertising. Journal of Advertising Research, 46(1), pp. 49-56. https://doi.org/10.2501/S0021849906060065
- Mizerski, R. W. & White, J. D. (1986). Understanding and using emotions in advertising. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 3(4), pp. 57-69. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb008180
- Moore, D. L. & Hutchinson, J. W. (1983). The effects of Ad affect on advertising effectiveness. Advances in Consumer Research, 10(1), pp. 526-531.
- Moore, D. J., Harris, W. D., & Chen, H. C. (1995). Affect intensity: An individual difference response to advertising appeals. Journal of Consumer Research, 22(2), pp. 154-164. https://doi.org/10.1086/209442
- Obermiller, C. (1995). The baby is sick/the baby is well: A test of environmental communication appeals. Journal of Advertising, 24(2), pp. 55-70.
- Park, E. J. & Yang, S. M. (1996). The relationships of purchase intention and affective response on apparel advertising. 29, pp. 39-51.
- Roberts, J. A. (1996). Green consumers in the 1990s: Profile and implications for advertising. Journal of Business Research, 36(3), pp. 217-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(95)00150-6
- Ross, C., Orr, E. S., Sisic, M., Arseneault, J. M., Simmering, M. G., & Orr, R. R. (2009). Personality and motivations associated with Facebook use. Computers in Human Behavior, 25(2), pp. 578-586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.12.024
- Sim, S. W. & Kim, W. H. (2011). The effect of the college students' use motives of social media on the use of advertisements. Korean Journal of Advertising, 13(2), pp. 342-376.
- Sohn, Y. S., Han, J. K., & Lee, S. H. (2012). Communication strategies for enhancing perceived fit in the CSR sponsorship context. International Journal of Advertising, 31(1), pp. 133-146. https://doi.org/10.2501/IJA-31-1-133-146
- Shiv, B. & Fedorikhin, A. (1999). Heart and mind in conflict: The interplay of affect and cognition in consumer decision making. Journal of Consumer Research, 26(3), pp. 278-292. https://doi.org/10.1086/209563
- Singhapakdi, A., Vitell, S. J., Rao, C., & Kurtz, D. L. (1999). Ethics gap: Comparing marketers with consumers on important determinants of ethical decision-making. Journal of Business Ethics, 21(4), pp. 317-328. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005965230277
- Smith, C. A. & Ellsworth, P. C. (1985). Patterns of cognitive appraisal in emotion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 48(4), pp. 813-838. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Special, W. P. & Li-Barber, K. T. (2012). Self-disclosure and student satisfaction with Facebook. Computers in Human Behavior, 28(2), pp. 624-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.11.008
- Steenhaut, S. & Van Kenhove, P. (2006). The mediating role of anticipated guilt in consumers' ethical decision-making. Journal of Business Ethics, 69(3), pp. 269-288. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9090-9
- The Korean Internet and Security Agency & Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (2014). 2014 Survey on the internet usage. Seoul. Republic of Korea.
- Thompson, S. C. (1981). Will it hurt less if i can control it? A complex answer to a simple question. Psychological Bulletin, 90(1), pp. 89-101. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.90.1.89
- Trehan, M. & Trehan, R. (2007). Advertising and sales management. Delhi, India: FK Publications.
- Trope, Y. & Liberman, N. (2010). Construal-level theory of psychological distance. Psychological Review, 117(2), pp. 440-463. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018963
- Underwood, B., Moore, B. S., & Rosenhan, D. (1973). Affect and self-gratification. Developmental Psychology, 8(2), 209. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034158
- Vaughn, R. (1980). How advertising works: A planning model. Journal of Advertising Research. 20(5), pp. 27-33.
- Yu, S. S. & Choi, Y. J. (2014). A study on the persuasive effects of CSR(Corporate Social Responsibility) advertising -With a focus on attitude analysis according to the expressive types of corporate advertising. Korean Journal of Advertising, 16(1), pp. 126-155.
- Zajonc, R. B. & Markus, H. (1982). Affective and cognitive factors in preferences. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(2), pp. 123-131. https://doi.org/10.1086/208905