- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Collecting Travel Time Data of Mine Equipments in an Underground Mine using Reverse RFID Systems
Reverse RFID 시스템을 이용한 지하광산에서의 장비 이동시간 측정
- Received : 2016.06.24
- Accepted : 2016.07.21
- Published : 2016.08.31
In this study, travel time data collection of mine equipments was conducted in an underground mine using a reverse Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) system. In the reverse RFID system, RFID readers and antennas are mounted on mine equipments, and RFID tags are attached to the underground mine gallery. Indoor experiments were performed to analyze how RFID reader transmission power levels affect tag readable area and tag recognition rates. The results showed that travel time measurement become precise when the reader transmission power was reduced, however tag recognition rates were reduced. The field experiments indicated that setting the reader transmission power to 28 dBm maintained the tag recognition rate while minimizing the tracking location error. In addition, the results revealed that the reverse RFID system can be used successfully in an underground mine to collect the travel time data of haulage trucks.
RFID system;Travel time;Transmission power;Tag recognition;Underground mine
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Yan, S. and Lai, W., 2007, An optimal scheduling model for ready mixed concrete supply with overtime considerations, Automation in Construction, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 734-744. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2006.12.009
- Zhang, H., 2008, Multi-objective simulation-optimization for earthmoving operations, Automation in Construction, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 79-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2008.05.002
- Alarie, S. and Gamache, M., 2002, Overview of solution strategies used in truck dispatching systems for open pit mines, International Joural of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 55-76.
- Blackwell, G.H., 1999, Estimation of large open pit haulage truck requirements, CIM Bulletin, Vol. 92, No. 1028, pp. 143-149.
- Chae, S. and Yoshida, T, 2010, Application of RFID technology to prevention of collision accident with heavy equipment, Automation in Construction, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 368-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2009.12.008
- Choi, Y., 2011, New Software for Simulating Truck-Shovel Operation in Open Pit Mines, Journal of the Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 448-459.
- Choi, Y. and Nieto, A., 2011a, Optimal haulage routing of off-road dump trucks in construction and mining sites using Google Earth and a modified least-cost path algorithm, Automation in Construction, Vol. 20, No. 7, pp. 982-997. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2011.03.015
- Choi, Y. and Nieto, A., 2011b, Software for simulating open-pit truck/shovel haulage systems using Google Earth and GPSS/H, Journal of the Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 734-743.
- Choi, Y., Park, H.D., Sunwoo, C. and Clarke, K.C., 2009, Multi-criteria evaluation and least-cost path analysis for optimal haulage routing of dump trucks in large scale open-pit mines, International Journal of Geographical Information Science, Vol. 23, No. 12, pp. 1541-1567. https://doi.org/10.1080/13658810802385245
- Defazio, D., Rhodes, M. and Tuero, B., 2011, Reverse RFID Tracking System, http://www.eecs.ucf.edu/seniordesign/su2011fa2011/g07/SD1_Documentation.pdf (accessed on1 Jun 2016).
- Swedberg, C., 2011, Australian Coal Mine Tests RFID's Ability to Prevent Collision, RFID Journal, http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/pdf?8774 (accessed on 16 2016).
- Vivec, R., 2012, Reverse RFID based tracking of public transport, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 7, pp. 3107-3010.
- Ercelebi, S.G. and Bascetin, A., 2009, Optimization of shovel-truck system for surface mining, The Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Vol. 109, pp. 433-439.
- Lionel, M.N., Dian, Z. and Michael, R., 2011, RFID-Based localization and tracking technologies, IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 45-51. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2011.5751295
- Mishra, P.K., 2012, RFID technology for tracking and tracing the explosives and detonators in mining services, Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 76, pp. 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jappgeo.2011.10.004
- Mishra, P.K., Stewart, R.F., Bolic, M. and Yagoub, M.C.E, 2014, RFID in underground-mining service applications, IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 72-79.
- Oraee, K. and Asi, B., 2004, Fuzzy model for truck allocation in surface mines, In: Hardygora, M., Paszkowska, G. and Sikora, M. (eds), Mine Planning and Equipment Selection 2004, Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, pp. 585-591.
- Park, S. and Choi, Y., 2013, Simulation of shovel-truck haulage system by considering truck dispatch methods, Journal of the Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 543-556.
- Park, S., Choi, Y., 2015, Development and Utilization of Mine Management Software: A Review, Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 221-230. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2015.25.3.221
- Park, S., Lee, S., Choi, Y., Park, H.S., 2014, Development of a Windows-based Simulation Program for Selecting Equipments in Open-pit Shovel-Truck Haulage Systems, Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 111-119. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2014.24.2.111
- Park, B., Park, S., Choi, Y. and Park, H.S., 2015, Calculation of a diesel vehicle's carbon dioxide emissions during haulage operations in an underground mine using GIS, Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 373-382. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2015.25.4.373
- Preradovic, S., Balbin, I., Karmakar, N.C. and Swiegers, G.F., 2009, Multiresonator-based chipless RFID system for low-cost item tracking, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, pp. 1411-1419. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017323
- Sezaki, K. and Konomi, K., 2006, RFID-based positioning systems for enhancing safety and sense of security in japan, Proceedings of the 2nd international workshop on ubiquitous pervasive and internet mapping, Tyoko, Japan, Oct 22-24, pp. 194-200.
- Performance comparison of bluetooth beacon and reverse RFID systems as potential tools for measuring truck travel time in open-pit mines: a simulation experiment vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/12269328.2017.1370616