- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Current Horizontal Stress Characteristics of the Tertiary Rock Formations in the Pohang Basin by Integrated Analysis with In-situ Rock Stress Measurement and Borehole Scanning Data Set
현장 초기응력 측정과 시추공 이미지 스캐닝 자료의 통합 분석을 통한 포항분지 제 3기 지층 내 수평응력 분포 특성 연구
- Received : 2016.08.16
- Accepted : 2016.08.26
- Published : 2016.08.31
In this study, the current horizontal stress characteristics of the Tertiary rock formations in the Pohang Basin are investigated on the basis of the in-situ rock stress measurements at depths from 75 m to 716 m of the 3 test boreholes in the Doumsan area, Pohang. The deep hydraulic fracturing stress measurement results indicated that the horizontal stress components in the test site appear far lower than the average ones by the linear fit for the data set measured from the other domestic sites. But, borehole scanning revealed clearly that lots of small and large scale borehole failures occurred due to the low strength characteristics of the existing rocks. To obtain more accurate and overall information on the horizontal stress direction, the integrated analysis combining the hydraulic fracturing stress measurement and borehole scanning data set were additionally carried out. The analysis results showed that in the upper sedimentary and the lower volcanic rock formation, the dominant orientations of the current maximum horizontal stress components were appeared in the range of
In-situ rock stress measurement;Hydraulic fracturing;Pohang Basin;Borehole failures;Maximum horizontal stress direction
Grant : 고수압 초장대 해저터널 기술자립을 위한 핵심요소 기술개발
Supported by : 건설교통과학기술진흥원
- Kim, H., Min, K.B., Bae, S.H. and Stephansson, O., 2016, Integrated in-situ stress estimation by hydraulic fracturing and borehole observation at EXP-1 hole in Pohang of Korea, RS2016, 7th Rock Stress Symposium, Finland, pp. 333-340.
- Lee, M.Y. and Haimson, B.C., 1989, Statistical evaluation of hydraulic fracturing stress measurement parameters, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 26.6, pp. 447-456. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(89)91420-4
- Lee, M.Y., 1991, Advances in instrument, data analysis, and calculation in hydraulic fracturing, Doctoral Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, U.S.A..
- Lee, T.J. et al., 2007, Development of exploitation technologies for geothermal resources, Research Report GP2007-002-01-2007(1), KIGAM, Korea, pp. 161.
- Scheidegger, A.E., 1962, Stresses in the Earth's crust as determined from hydraulic fracturing data, Geologie und Bauwesen, 27, pp. 45-53.
- Song, C.W., 2015, Study on the Evolution of the Miocene Pohang Basin based on its Structural Characteristics, Doctoral Thesis, Pusan national University.
- Vernik, L. and Zoback, M.D., 1992, Estimation of maximum horizontal principal stress magnitude induced well bore breakouts in the Cajon Pass scientific research boreohole, Journal of Geophysical Research, 97.B4, pp. 5109-5119. https://doi.org/10.1029/91JB01673
- Yoon, S., 2010, Tectonic history of the Tertiary Yangnam and Pohang Basins, Korea, The Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 46.2, pp. 95-110.
- Bae, S.H., Kim, J.M., Kim, J.S. and Lee, Y.H., 2008, In-situ Rock Stress Measurement at the Water Curtain Tunnel Sites in the OO Oil Storage Cavern with Hydraulic Fracturing Method, Tunnel and underground space, 18.1, pp. 80-89.
- Bae S.H., 2013, Rock stress measurement & related issues in Korea, SNU & KSRM Short course "Crustal rock stress", Seoul, Korea, pp. 23-24.
- Bae, S.H., Jeon, S.W. and Min, K.B., 2014, In-situ Rock Stress State of Shallow Crustal Region in Korea and Stress Induced Progressive Brittle Failures, In Proc.of 8th Asian Rock Mechanics symposium, Japan.
- Barton, C.A., Zoback, M,D. and Burns, K.L., 1988, In situ stress orientation and magnitude at the Fenton Geothermal site, New Mexico, determined from wellbore breakouts. Geophysical Research Letter, 15.5, pp. 467-470. https://doi.org/10.1029/GL015i005p00467
- Bell, J.S. and Gough, D.I., 1979: Northeast-southwest compressive stress in Alberta: Evidence from oil well, Earth Planet. Science. Letter., 45, pp. 475-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/0012-821X(79)90146-8
- Brudy, M. and Zoback, M.D., 1993, Compressive and tensile failures of boreholes arbitarily inclined to vertical stress axis: Application to the KTB borehole, Germany, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 30, pp. 1035-1038. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(93)90068-O
- Brudy, M., Zoback, M., Fuchs, K., Rummel, F. and Baumgartner, J., 1997. Estimation of the complete stress tensor to 8 km depth in the KTB scientific drill holes:Implications for crustal strength. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 102.B8, pp. 18453-18475. https://doi.org/10.1029/96JB02942
- Zang, A. and Stephansson, O., 2009. Stress Field of the Earth's Crust, Springer, London.
- In situ stress estimation in KURT site vol.53, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14770/jgsk.2017.53.5.689